Brand new C Class stolen in 2 minutes from drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use to rent out my Van and had a cheap £20 Tracker hidden in the Van which I bought off ebay. It was a cheap Tracker that hold a sim Card and I could always accurately trace the Van straight off my Mobile Phone.

I would definitely recommend a Tracker and a Disklock !

Simply locking the car with the fob does not de-activate keyless, you need to do the double lock thing with the fob to de-activate it.

The only thing I've read is how to disable the keyfob in order to save it's battery but this doesn't deactivate the car's keyless go system. Am I missing something? Is there another procedure that perhaps isn't mentioned in the owners manual?

Many thanks Roger.

The only thing I've read is how to disable the keyfob in order to save it's battery but this doesn't deactivate the car's keyless go system. Am I missing something? Is there another procedure that perhaps isn't mentioned in the owners manual?

Many thanks Roger.

Keyless entry requires a signal from the key, with uses battery. Keyless start is the same.

Do the double press thing, then try opening your car keylessly and/or starting the car.

Keyless entry requires a signal from the key, with uses battery. Keyless start is the same.

Do the double press thing, then try opening your car keylessly and/or starting the car.

Unless I'm mistaken the double press thing disables that one key after which you can still open a car equipped with keyless go by touching one of the door handles. Or is there some other technique to disable the system on the car which allows the car to be opened by touching a door handle?

Well lads if I was in your shoes I would spend the £340 on a Ghost and sleep easy,and do not forget to pick a couple of buttons that are not noticeable what they do outside the car,

C Class AMG With Key Less Stolen

My Car C class AMG with Keyless Go was stolen from Drive in less than minute. CCTV shows they were able to get in the car easily even it was locked and both keys inside house.

Mercedes should take responsibility of vulnerable KeyLess Go.

It's not called "Keyless Go" for nothing! ....

It's not called "Keyless Go" for nothing! ....

that made me giggle, but scary seeing these cars are so easy to steal!

On a Keyless Go car does the double click action on the key temporarily stop Keyless Go capability on
a) the key
b) the car
c) both?

It's just another access method that the theives have found a way into.

Do you think people buy keyless "knowing that their car might as well be left unlock". No, they buy it under the reasonable belief that the key, is, you know, actually needed to be in the possesion of the person unlocking the car.

Hasn't there been an issue for around 10 years now with "blip" keys, and the ability to pick up the signal and duplicate ? Or indeed the ability to programme a blip key via the brains of the car.

When did the insurance companies increase the premium of cars that had such blip keys. Where are all the people that still have the old fashioned "key in lock" approach, smugly telling us these 'new' blip keys are a security risk.

I still have , and like , proper mechanical keys . Remote locking disabled on those cars that had it .

On a Keyless Go car does the double click action on the key temporarily stop Keyless Go capability on
a) the key
b) the car
c) both?

Just the key, it's a way to save the battery on your spare key.
A local CID guy told me "if they want your car they'll get it, the best deterrent was to go old school and use a Discloc or similar, that would be no use if it was on your drive because they would just break in and ask you for the keys"

At some point cars will have eye scan, fingerprint, facial recognition and breath security to start and keep the car going, so the driver will really need to be in the car, alive. The script-kiddie opportunistic thieves, at least, would be thwarted more often.

As this was originally posted in May 2016 I'd be interested to know the outcome of this, were Mercedes contacted after the theft regarding the potential security vulnerability? Was the Vehicle recovered? Not that you'd want it back after they've had their grubby hands all over it. I have Keyless Go and I'm always wary of who is in the vicinity before using it and even the key for that matter.

Disc Locks may be a good idea and will probably slow them down or potentially stop them however if they have another vehicle with them (usually also stolen) kitted out with 'tools of the trade' and they know they have plenty of time they'll have it off. Like people have said before me if they want it bad enough they'll find a way.

Not really the same thing but a company I used to work for had a fork lift truck nicked in broad daylight. Cameras showed a Mercedes Sprinter van back up into the yard through a delivery gate with a trailer, two guys got out with high-vis jackets and proceeded to just take it with people walking past and then drove off. Just shows how brazen some people can be!

So, key to car bridging via anodisation with 3 involved in different roles.
* 1 car driver with transceiver
* 1 key amplifier (a woman? who enters into the building after the owner)
* 1 SUV driver who blocks off the activity at the car from line of sight from the owner, picks up the key amplifier person, then legs it. Likely they were all cruising around together looking for the right car and listening for the right kind of key.

Id certainly be a bit ****** off at that speed but it does indicate a pro thieving to order.

Lets be straight on one thing though. Keyless of not, the laptop, transmitter, OBD screwup technology has been around a long time just not widely publicised.

The first time I am aware of anyone coming across it was a Jag x type stolen just after launch with no keys/keyfob needed.

Worrying though.
Agreed, if it's desirable enough they'll go for it and if it's easy enough they'll do it sooner.

Turning off the key and/or keeping it in a jamming bag is one defense layer - annoyingly inconvenient though.

The "attack vectors" are astonishingly myriad with these connected cars - and I'm about to take delivery of one of the most connected. So, yes, I'm concerned. I've been researching this and their are a number of methods to attack cars electronically. Listing here for those who don't already know this (I didn't a month ago).

* OBDII : with a key programmer program a blank key into a valid one. Drive off.
* Wireless key (not Keyless Go or proximity) : rolljam attack. Block and record 1st key code, block and record 2nd key code, transmitting 1st code. Later, transmit 2nd usable code to access vehicle.
* Keyless Go : wireless bridging between the genuine key and the car. Bridge can be any data carrying network, WiFi, 433MHz, Bluetooth, GSM, even data packets over voice, eg with walkie-talkies. Good enough to also start the car.
* Car's phone (GSM) network : crack using vulnerabilities. See the Jeep video.
* Web application : hack Mercedes Me via man-in-the-middle attack, where the connection is hijacked and a bad guy sends valid instructions to the car, but just not from you. The car doesn't realise.
* CD/DVD media : some cars vulnerable to crafted malware on CD/DVDs that then over the CANbus owns your car (not necessarily Mercedes though)

Seems most car companies are slowly getting round to designing effective security, but the spate of thefts is showing they are behind the wave.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I'd not be upset if my car was taken, but I'd prefer that to being assaulted to get the keys, or having the house broken into.

I thought we covered this problem of the keyless cars getting stolen,for £399 you can have Autowatch Ghost fitted,and then they cannot drive the car away even if they have bagged the codes,it is fitted into the starting system of the car but will only allow the car to start if 3 things are done in the right order,like left indicator,horn and lights or any 3 things ,I know if I had a C63 on the drive I would spend the extra money

As most cars are stolen via getting access to the keys these days it is easier to identify which house to get the keys from if it is sat on the drive rather than on street parking where it could be one of a few.

Keys are commonly not required these days. They cut their own key for the Car when they have access inside the car.

So looking for a nice car to sell to my friend in Nigeria (other countries available) now i know they like MBs and so I pop down Waitrose. I turn my Jammer on. People walk away from their car and press the button to lock it (without affect) and don't notice it did lock. I have around an hour now and my mate keeps an eye out just in case.

I plug into the Diagnostic port my hacking device (name deleted) and within <30mins have a clone key. Works for nearly all brands. Keyless is handy as can just drive off and hack the car off site.

Drive off and park the car in a metal container ready for shipping. Tracker is attempted to be activated, it fails. Ship car to customer pays me my money.

Tracker starts up and like every other tracker in Nigeria no takes any notice.

It happen to me, and my car was recovered at the docks around 6months after being stolen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom