Brand new car damaged by dealership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyMercUK

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI AMG SPORT
So annoyed right now....

I'm due to pick my brand new car up today, along with my wife's approved used B Class. It was my wife's birthday last Monday and mine on tomorrow so a nice treat for us both.

The salesman is a good friend of mine however yesterday I had to have a very difficult discussion with him, he informed me that my car has been damaged and requires a paint job - now last time I took my previous merc in for a service it came back with curbed alloys so it's not Ben a great experience with the backdoor staff.

Does anyone have any advice on what they would do? I almost feel that it won't be a pristine brand new car anymore.

Have they said what the damage is?

Once repaired and checked that it is perfect, find somewhere else. After screwing every last drop of compensation out of them, of course. Your friend is front of shop and you need to be able to trust the grease monkeys who will be touching your car. That's two strikes so for me, they would be out. Once is an accident, twice is a trend/behaviour pattern/whatever.

As for the 'not pristine anymore', that feeling goes away IF the repair is good.
For example, the scheming, lying turd-buckets (genus: lying sh-ite-hawks) I bought my brand new van from tried to have me sign for it with stone chips on the bonnet, put there by them when driving to/from their workshop ten miles away. I worried about feeling the same way but it lasted only seconds after getting in to drive away.

Last edited:
My mate has said its a scratch but needs painting. I'll be able to see it later when we pick the wife's care up.

He has already mentioned a free service. I won't be signing anything until I see the repair.

In that case, I wouldn't worry unduly. They will have used correct MB paint and better painted than touched in. If he didn't tell you where it was exactly, the test will be if you can spot the repair.

Hope it all goes well.

If he is your friend I am sure he would have emphasised the need to do a proper job to the paint shop, truth is many a new car is re-sprayed before delivery.

Have a strong drink and then relax about it, see if you can see where the damage was before taking possession, what's the bet you won't be able to tell...:):)

Then stop talking about it to the Mrs, otherwise the gloss comes off her new car too...

Cheers guys you've helped ease the pain already - I'm a bit of a worrier as you can probably tell!

I'll see the damage today, it's on the rear bumper apparently. It will be in the jaguar spray booth tomorrow then needs time to dry in the special booth or something.

Crickey, it's probably a tiny mark and your mate is doing the right thing to make very sure it's perfect for you. Don't lose a mate over it, it all passes with the goodness of time.

Many cars have had repairs before they left the factory.

If its a perfect finish then don't worry. At least he was honest.

I'll get a feel service for EACH car from them.

At least it's not going to Brentford's Paint shop :ban:

If it was a bumper that was scratched , then it's likely a plastic panel , so no danger of rust . If the entire bumper is being painted then it will be good as when it left the factory .

Give them the chance to put it right, decide upon viewing the repaired scratch.

That's soooo annoying... Satisfy yourself that the repair work required has been carried out to your satisfaction, and then enjoy.

So....

I got there and had to get my mate to point the scratch out! It's no where near as bad as I thought, it's about an inch long but does need painting.

Took the car...oooo that new smell!

Don't touch it, tell them to shove it.

I had this years ago with a new Astra GTE 16v, I took delivery and the following day i cleaned it and found the paint on the bonnet had lifted in patches, took it back and they insisted that if they resprayed it and no one would ever know, the paint job was so bad i made them do it again, the second attempt wasn't much better, sisters boyfriend (panel beater and sprayer) came with me on the second visit, there was a 10 inch orange peel strip down the bonnet, he said he could do better with a rattle can.

Because i had let them repair it i was then told i had to accept the repair and couldn't return the car.

I then took it to another garage to trade it in, they were a bit suspicious that i wanted to get rid of such a new car (told them i didn't like it, to fast :doh:) they took it into the workshop and gave it the once over and came back and told me they though it had been in a smack, due to the over spray everywhere.

They offered me less than 50% of its cost new and it was only a month old.

So if the repair isn't 100%, it could come back to bite you in the ass when you want to sell.

Just experience, i was told as soon as they repair or attempt to repair your car you cannot return it your stuck with it.

Glad you got sorted...as already mentioned having spent lots of time in car plants I can vouch that cars get repaired and touched up in plant due to scratches and damage before shipping, hence why if you visit most car plants belt buckles, rings, watches etc must be removed or protection used....

Your mate seems okay, and probably wanted the car A1, most stealers probably would not have even bothered....

So....

I got there and had to get my mate to point the scratch out! It's no where near as bad as I thought, it's about an inch long but does need painting.

Took the car...oooo that new smell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom