Break in attempt last night!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesfuller

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C240 Elegance & S210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
This morning I was getting going to get the wash stuff out, found the shed door open, padlock twisted off and the 'booby trap' (6 foot lenghts of 3" angle iron) had crashed down onto them and where now laying on the ground!
After a quick check, found nothing had been taken. So they where either disturbed or didn't find my heap of old bike frames and tyres that appealing.

Checked out the garage doors and the cars over there and all ok. Walking back towards the house thinking about what to do I check around the other cars we keep nearer the house and my heart sank. The side door of my van didn't look right!

They have buggered the lock and the door around it, managed to open the latch and move it about 8mm. Luckily I don't rely on manufacturer locks for that type of thing and made my own system up inside. It has literally saved the day! They couldn't get the door open despite trying hard enough to pull the bottom runner out and leave lots of finger prints down the side! They failed.

Would any one like to guess the response from the Police?
No one can come out, they wont send anyone out to take fingerprints as they are on the outside of the vehicle.
It turns out its perfectly fine to cause a grands worth of damage to a vehicle as long as you don't gain access!

James

Call the Police back and tell them that you can see one of the thief's is parked on Double Yellows. Sit back and await the sound of fast approaching blues & two's.

I am very sorry to hear this sort of thing. I can imagine it will cause much consternation and sleepless nights waking up at the merest hint of a noise from now on.

I find it amazing that the police don't even bother to attend the scene any more for this sort of thing and yet they claim they are winning the war on crime.

No wonder public perception is waning.

They said they would not attend because its not an emergency or major crime! In the grand scheme of things I can understand that people do go through much worse. But this is one of my bigger investments that i just cant afford to loose.
They also said that fingerpirints on the outside of a vehicle wont stand up as evidence in court! Also, if the fingerprints matched up with a known thief, there presence on just the outside are not considered grounds for arrest.

I have just spent 2 hours moving a complete rally car spares package to another location and storing what I can there! Just trying to decide where is most secure really! Not really sure what to do to be honest. The van is now backed up to a thick hedge and blocked in by several cars so is more secure than the garages.

James

Call the Police back and tell them that you can see one of the thief's is parked on Double Yellows. Sit back and await the sound of fast approaching blues & two's.

And expect a caution and possible claim for personal injury if the booby trap injured the scroats! :doh:

Its like the old urban legend:

Man calls police - "there is someone breaking in my house" - "sorry sir we dont have anyone free to attend". Man calls back "Dont worry about it - ive shot him"

2 minutes later, 2 helicopters, 5 squad cars and 30 coppers are on the scene !!

Were the lengths of angle iron pleasingly covered in blood?

Another interesting thing happened recently, I think it may be linked!

We are right out in the sticks, its very quiet and you hardly ever see anyone, you sometimes get the odd dog walker that assumes a driveway in the country must be a right of way, and have had to have a word and even ask them not to park in my drive while they walk there dogs!

Last week, I saw a car moving down one end of the drive, started walking in that direction, instead of heading for the way out he took drove down another bit of the drive that heads towards my workshop, he then turned around again and went to drive out. By this time I had got to him and asking what exactly he was up to!
His reply was what bussiness is it of yours! I of course saw red and told him he needs to get out now! He started shouting abuse as he fley down the drive, I ran but couldn't keep up. He unfortunately didn't have the b****x to stop and get out for this exchange of ideas. I couldn't even find anything to lob through the back window! I got an excellent description of him and the car so reported this, of course the police don't really consider this a crime. Verbally assaulting someone while you case there property, it seems is now just accepted as everyday life. Had he stopped and I knocked his teeth out I am sure then his human rights would have been affected!

And expect a caution and possible claim for personal injury if the booby trap injured the scroats! :doh:

Unfortunately no blood found. In all honesty, I would happily be convicted for doing something as then I would at least find out some details of the f***ers!

The reason for my previous response..

My neighbour had his house & shed broken into. Amongst other things he lost a shed full of power tools. Rather obligingly one of the thief's left his Social Security card including a nice photo on his shed floor. Bingo you may think!!!!

Wrong. Like you the Police would not attend. Their rationale being that the thief would claim that his card must have been planted.

I honestly think they didn't get what they where after, I'm convinced they will be back at some point.

I'm setting some more noisy traps, Lets just hope I catch the ba****ds.

did you get his registration number?

Of the car from the last incident, yes.
They must have walked in this time as the dogs would have 'gone off' at any vehicle driving in!

Just had another phone call from a different police department. A bit more helpful (just the fact that this time they sounded like they where actually the least bit interested)
He took all the details again and is notifying the CID. Also he said that the car may be pulled for a roadside check if they see it out! (They obviously had a crowbar as they twisted the padlock rather than cut it)
Not holding my breath!

Turns out a lot of vans in Bedford and Kempston where broken into last few nights that is within 10-15 miles of me.

The reason for my previous response..

My neighbour had his house & shed broken into. Amongst other things he lost a shed full of power tools. Rather obligingly one of the thief's left his Social Security card including a nice photo on his shed floor. Bingo you may think!!!!

Wrong. Like you the Police would not attend. Their rationale being that the thief would claim that his card must have been planted.

It is NOT the police's job to anticipate the outcome of an interview or investigation in these cases. Complain to the Police Commissioner……they were 'elected' to make sure the police generally did their job.

In relation to your matter, firstly and respectfully, let your anger go…….cold and logical is the mental state needed.

Then call again to report the crime and point out that that the door had been opened far enough for fingers to reach inside or curl around the inside of the painted surface; this is very likely when trying lift or pull.

If this does not make them see reason, complain to the Police Commissioner.

Last edited:
Your van comes under criminal damage so CID should come out and lift any prints

After the last call I it has been passed on and I am now waiting for a call from CID.
Hopefully update soon!

I am really sorry to hear that James.
Not sure what's more annoying though; the thieving scum or useless response from the old bill.

Bugger, horrid thing to happen.

Like you I live in the middle of nowhere. To set foot on my property uninvited, is quite difficult. Six foot gates etc. Nevertheless I found a gentleman wandering around outside one day. From a top floor window I asked politely what he thought he was doing. He pointed to the SL (which you can't see from the lane) and said he was wondering if I was wanting to sell it.

"You and I know that is ******" said I, followed with: "I have just taken a photo of you and if your not out of here in one minute I'll forward it to the police" Never seen anyone move so fast.

Anyway, none of that helps you, but since then I've put up cameras and have had no repeat performances.

ETA: The swear filter doesn't like my word which starts with B has an O a couple of L's and then the first two letters of a famous university just along the M4 !!

Last edited:
Absolutely what cinek says.

The rozzers are not "criming it" initially. Get on to the Commissioner and do it in writing, its a crime pure and simple. Us little blokes have to stand up for ourselves in this day and age.

I think in an attempt to stop me phoning them and to just shut me up, CID are en route:thumb:

I am under no illusion, I am pretty certain that nothing will come of it. Just the way I see it is it may go some way to a proper punishment if they happen to get busted while they are out tonight or soon! You never know do you!
If I can have any part in causing a problem for these f****rs then so be it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom