Break in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DannyHall

Car
C63 Premium
As awoken early on Sunday Morning by the German Police to tell me my car had been broken into by two youngsters, luckily a neighbour spotted them.

When I went down to check their was no damage to the car with no signs of breaking? Has anyone heard of anything similar? Didn't have anything valuable in the car apart from earphones and loose change, they took a few things but nothing I will particularly miss.

Just a bit baffled how they got in, in the first place

Remote key code scanner is one way
For an attractive, valuable car they may have shadowed you and grabbed your code (with random code generating software to replicate rolling codes) or have some high end code generator having cracked the bosch or seimens etc security coding.

Or you may have inadvertently unlocked the car yourself.....?

Both does happen

Remote key code scanner is one way
For an attractive, valuable car they may have shadowed you and grabbed your code (with random code generating software to replicate rolling codes) or have some high end code generator having cracked the bosch or seimens etc security coding.

Or you may have inadvertently unlocked the car yourself.....?

Both does happen

If they had an RF Jammer which can be purchased for as little as £50 it will prevent most cars being locked. Some Merc's IR/RF but this requires you to lock the car at close range.

The further issue is once access has been gained to the car, it's becoming ever more easy to created replacement key for that car. No broken window , no keys stolen from house.

My old Audi was often unlocked by me sitting on the Key:dk:

Maybe they have your Mercedes Me login!

If they had an RF Jammer which can be purchased for as little as £50 it will prevent most cars being locked. Some Merc's IR/RF but this requires you to lock the car at close range.

The further issue is once access has been gained to the car, it's becoming ever more easy to created replacement key for that car. No broken window , no keys stolen from house.

My old Audi was often unlocked by me sitting on the Key:dk:
.....Along the lines of the above.. Police have cautioned that's owners of hi value cars the likes of Mercedes, Porche, BMW , Audi and Jag etc etc to be aware when locking their cars at motorway services before walking away on the assumption car is actually locked...jammers being used by crooks especially on the M4 services ... that target nice cars to just go into and steal bags or anything of value supposedly locked up....all this happening while u wander off for a cup of coffee and a bite to eat !!...such %^$£"ers exist so always be aware and sure.. once u have zapped the locks.. leave it for 5 seconds and then check handles and boot lid manually to be sure .. foxy52

This is when it's nice to have folding mirrors. - Nice visual confirmation that the car did lock; if they're out, someone has opened a door (and presumably unlocked it).

This is when it's nice to have real keys that you put in the lock and turn : no electronic codes to jam or copy .

Not solving the jamming attack, but solving a related source of thefts:
There are RF blocking pouches for car keys that help prevent the amplification attack (key signals with you captured and relayed to the car for proximity opening).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7LIQ9T/
I'm waiting on a couple of alternatives from Aliexpress to test this out.

You might also be a generally 'preferred' target with foreign plates :(

Not solving the jamming attack, but solving a related source of thefts:
There are RF blocking pouches for car keys that help prevent the amplification attack (key signals with you captured and relayed to the car for proximity opening).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7LIQ9T/
I'm waiting on a couple of alternatives from Aliexpress to test this out.

Or you could just disable Keyless Go on the fob.

BenzBlogger » Blog Archiv » Mercedes-Benz Keyless-GO SmartKey ? On and Off!

Thanks for the replies!

The car hasn't actually got Keyless go however I've been warned by others about this transmitting thing. Only key point is that it was a couple of teenagers apparently who tried a few different cars.

Really hoping it was a case of leaving a door slightly open, needless to say i've been checking my door to see if it's locked every time.

Where I reside is not the most upmarket place but it does seem to have a lot of high end cars for such a run down area.

The renter has offered me use of a Garage however it's a very tight fit, don't really want to chance it again in the long run though.

I've been working in Germany on and off for 3/4 years now on various projects and never had any issues, but then again it could happen anywhere in the world I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom