Breakdown cover recommendations value for money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonygw

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 CDI AMG Blue efficiency diesel
Hi Guys

As per the title. I am currently with GEM Motor asist which is £129 for myself and wife, personal cover, so in any vehicle anywhere in the UK return to home with home start included. (uses local garages and provides good service)

Looking for the same cover and wondered if anybody recommends any other companies worth trying, hopfully a little cheaper although I think its not bad value.

Just wondering before I press the renew policy button.

Thanks!

I am with Green Flag via my bank and even though they get the job done, they let you stranded for hours. All calls for assistance go like this:
-Between 8 and 10am what time best suits you?
-8am
-Thank you our engineer will be with you at 8am
SMS arrives engineer will be with you at 10:10am
I recently had an issue with my radiator fan and needed towing. Placed the call at 12pm, wasnt fully "rescued" until 6pm

Last edited:
Ouch, Maybe I'll stick with Gem motor asisst in that case, the few times I have used them (Not in the Merc LOL) they have always arrived within the hour.

Dont fancy being stranded for hours when hundreds of miles from home....if I ever needed to be resuced of course..

Ouch, Maybe I'll stick with Gem motor asisst in that case, the few times I have used them (Not in the Merc LOL) they have always arrived within the hour.

Dont fancy being stranded for hours when hundreds of miles from home....if I ever needed to be resuced of course..
I hear you, at least I get it for "free" but I was so many times tempted to get the Mercedes breakdown service or AA. Having said that, check with others on AA and RAC as well first.

Try Auto aid, cover for me and the wife is only £60 recovery and home start.

Nationwide Flex Plus £13 a month. Breakdown cover includes Europe.

Includes mobile phone cover, travel insurance and also cash withdrawals when abroad.

£100 paid on an account switch if referred.

Just had my RAC renewal notice they want £162.97 from me. I argued with them last year, as it had gone up from £77 to £109, and eventually managed 15months cover for £112, so a whopping £50 more... I don't think so.

Who are other folk using for Roadside and Onward recovery cover, and what price.

Britannia Rescue. £50 pa and returns me and car home (possibly though as home is also where car will be repaired). Untested as last year was first time I've taken cover from them.

Does anyone know of car age restrictions re obtaining breakdown cover? Is 15 years old a cut off point for some/many/all?

I'm interested in this as I think I'll be cancelling my MB service plan, so will lose Mobilo.

£15 a month seems like quite a lot, especially when you subtract that from the MB Service cost!

If you’re a Member of the Caravan Club then their Mayday breakdown cover is very good, and good value for what you get too.

It’s provided by Green Flag, and includes caravan recovery in both directions, ie to the destination and then home again if necessary.

No introductory price, no annual renewal price hike, just good value and fair pricing with a slight increase through time.

We have joint personal cover which means that Mes D and I are covered in any car plus any caravan for around £110 per annum.

Just looked at Green Flag, and at £73 (or £80 if you pay monthly), that seems quite reasonable to me. Any experiences?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 00.20.13.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 00.20.13.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 5
Just looked at Green Flag, and at £73 (or £80 if you pay monthly), that seems quite reasonable to me. Any experiences?

Try AutoAid mate

I’ve called Green Flag out several times and found the service to be good and quick. They use independent garages (rather than their own fleet) which I suspect is also the case for some of the other suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom