Breakdown cover rip off

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motormanical, Jul 13, 2019 at 1:04 PM.

1. Motormanical

Motormanical New Member

Car:
    A 180 D Sport
    So I got my Green Flag renewal and was amazed to find it was MORE expensive than if I was a new customer getting a new quote. So much for loyalty! How do they get away with this?

So I've been shopping around but why do prices vary so much?

For example, if you look at the comparison table below, you can see that there are breakdown firms offering the SAME level of cover for much cheaper. Why is this?

Compare Breakdown Cover Prices | PocketRate

What am I missing? Are these cheaper firms any good? How do the expensive ones justify asking for so much more.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

2. bob6600

bob6600 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
    Nothing new. Companies charge a 'discounted' rate in year 1 to lure customers in. On renewal, they give you an inflated price.

Call them up and they will most likely bring it down or go elsewhere and get the new customer discount

3. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Bottom line is they don't have to justify it, one pays or one doesn't it's business.
    Never go by what the renewal letter quotes. If you're happy with the services provided ring up and haggle the price. Threatening to leave often brings rewards.

4. Benzmanc

Benzmanc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R231 SL 350 + Honda Blackbird
    Is your car serviced by MB or an approved Indie? if it is then you have cover already

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 4:29 PM
  5. ToeKnee

ToeKnee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. Vauxhall insignia diesel
    Does that mean that having an approved indie service your car keeps mobilo cover Darren? That would be very interesting if true!

6. Benzmanc

Car:
    Certainly does, i had my SL serviced earlier this year by my indie and logging into Mercedes Me shows Mobilo active until the next service. There is a security code printed on the service report to view the mobilo status.

7. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    It does seem that the Mobilo cover is triggered automatically by the online registration of the service in the Electronic Service Book, regardless of who carried it out.

8. Benzmanc

Car:
    Yes, obviously it needs to be a garage that has access to the Digital Service Book

9. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    I’ve never bothered with breakdown cover , only ever needed assistance twice in 45 years of motoring ; much cheaper just to pay for the local garage to come out and recover me rather than frittering money away every year .

Motormanical likes this.
  10. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Farriers are quite expensive these day, Derek ...

DrFeelgood and Smart320 like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Motormanical

Motormanical New Member

Car:
    A 180 D Sport
    Actually that’s a great point. You only expect to use the service once in a blue moon or even ever. So is it actually worth paying extra for one of the more expensive brand services.

12. bootsboy121

bootsboy121 New Member

Car:
    C63
    use topcash or quido and get some cashback, cheaper way of doing it

13. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I had breakdown cover via various means such as through my business credit card (provided free) or Mobilo etc, but I never actually paid for one....

And, in many decades of motoring, I have never called one either (well, I did, once, in 2005, but then I managed to get the car started and cancelled the call...).

Said that, the issue with the strategy of calling a local garage is that you might need help at unsociable hours and/or far away from home.

14. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Likewise , I have at times had it , where provided by other means .

I think , in theory , I have Green Flag cover provided by my bank account , but the one time I could have used it , I didn’t know the number to call , whether to call the bank or Green Flag directly, so just called my local garage who came out the 30 miles at 6 pm and recovered my car back to my house , at a cost of £50 . That was with my current SL , a week into ownership, and it turned out that a cheap aftermarket ignition coil had failed , replaced with a proper one , and I now carry a spare , so won’t be caught by that again .

The other time was in the late 70’s when the CHG went in my Audi 100 and the local garage towed me home ( because my family were good customers they didn’t charge anything ) . I do remember stopping in a lay by many years ago to find a gent with a Mk II Jaguar replacing his CHG at the roadside .

I’ve certainly stripped down carburettors, cleaned out dizzy caps , and all sorts of minor things at the roadside , and only the two times never been able to get going myself .

If I broke down far from home , I’d just get recovered to the local garage, then depending what was wrong , take it from there ; I do have a pal with a car trailer so could get my car home if needed for the cost of fuel .

Then again , most of the cars I run have little monetary value , so if repairs were going to be uneconomic , I’d just tell the garage to dispose of it , and replace the car .

15. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R172 SLK 55AMG , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Have used my Lloyds Bank cover to call out the AA to my home twice during the last year , first time it was a split brake pipe which needed my ML to be transported by flatbed truck to the nearest dealer 45 miles away , I was very happy that I was not paying.

16. Skd884

Skd884 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    V8

Cover is also available for customers with cars registered from 24 October 1998* and is automatically activated/renewed on completion of a service by a Mercedes-Benz Retailer.

17. Tramper

Tramper Member

Car:
    E Class
    I've found a lot of the breakdown cover provided by certain bank accounts etc are very limited, look in the small print often a ten or fifteen mile limit from where you break down ( if recovery is needed) then charge you on a mileage basis.

If you break down on a motorway out of normal work hours try getting a local garage to come out and that if you have a number of one that provides the service. Also the highways Agency will get recovery for you but the charge is eye watering and if your a long way from home it won't be back to your house or garage of your choice, normally back to their local base.

We broke down last year in Devon got the car recovered back to Essex we had a hire car to use for the rest of the holiday drove it home then they collected it from us. I can't fault the service worth every penny of the cover which was about £140. The car was taken to the garage of our choice as well.

While I think it's true cars are now certainly more reliable than ones I owned in the seventies they still can go wrong, often complicated electronics which can't be rectified by the roadside.

I'm often amazed by some folk that spend a serious amount of cash on a car and wince at spending a few quid on breakdown cover for peace of mind.

Just my opinion

QUTSELL likes this.
  18. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    True. Our Suzuki has AA Lite cover, provided for free by the Suzuki dealer, and it differs from the full AA cover in that they will only tow the car to a local Suzuki dealer within a 10 mile range, and they do not cover any wheel/tyre issues, misfueling, or lost keys.

Still, it is sufficient for our needs.

19. QUTSELL

QUTSELL Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes C180
    Broke down quite a few years ago, (Volvo) Somerset M4. February, a stone went though the rad, no cover, cost to get home from memory over £400. Two years ago broke down takeing our Granddaughter to the Gatwick airport, AA believe it the van was there in 15 mins. Saved the day, broken fuel pipe, car brought home, next episode, on the way to Somerset, M4 again Membury AA was not able to fix the problem, again credit were its due, up on the tow truck and brought home, so I can only speak as I find, and don't leave home without there card. I also have the access to there repair scheme, that is they will pay towards repair if the car breaks down and needs repair, not cheap, but I have experience ,no quibble paid straight away. PS our daughter had experience with Green Flag, car MERC refused to start, she called Green flag the mechanic came out, lifted the bonnet, promptly shut it down, told her sorry I think your battery has packed up, then drove away, remember the battery is in the boot.

20. ToeKnee

ToeKnee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. Vauxhall insignia diesel
    The reason why I'm curious is that my 2013 SL500 has full Mercedes service history, being serviced every year as scheduled even though it's done little miles. I am undecided whether to use Mercedes for my next service (end of August) or use Mercland in Nuneaton. The price difference isn't much for this A service and continuing Mobilo with Mercedes was a deciding factor, but if I can keep Mobilo while using Mercland then that would probably be the way to go. Decisions decisions......