Breakdown Insurance - Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
I'm off to France & Spain in a few weeks time. Car is just over 3 years old and no longer has manufacturers breakdown cover.
As I probably will not keep the car too much longer (and I don't feel any great need for breakdown cover on this particular car in the UK) I'm reluctant to take out an annual policy.

Does anyone know of companies who offer breakdown insurance just for the summer hols?

Check your bank....many accounts give free or heavily subsidised cover.

Could try ADAC - very good for Europe

well said that man/woman :eek:

I got both Mrs F and myself covered Europe wide with ADAC for 79 Euro for a year. Cover is for the person with any car.
They use Green Flag as their partner here, so there is no noticeable difference in response time.

Let me know if you want help with the T&C's.

ADac looks like a bargain compared to the uk Offerings.

My main concern would be the language barrier while trying to make an emergency call. But its a third of the cost of Green flag so maybe a risk worth trying.

Looking at the web page, I'm struggling to find out what countries are covered and if there are restrictions on cover abroad. For instance, is it ok for a UK resident to use this cover for national (UK) purposes 365 or is the cover limited to so many days per year outside of germany?

Are there really no restrictions for a European resident taking mambership? The form asks for an address, wondering if it needs to be a German one.

Last edited:

I got both Mrs F and myself covered Europe wide with ADAC for 79 Euro for a year. Cover is for the person with any car.
They use Green Flag as their partner here, so there is no noticeable difference in response time.

Woman :)

I think they have English speaking agents in Europe too

Short period polices are always much more expensive pro-rata. I drive in Europe a lot so took out the annual Green Flag policy here which covers all Europe, i.e. the same as Fandango but in reverse :)

Might be worth comparing 12 months to a couple of weeks - I'm sure your car is very reliable but.......

I had a look at the ADAC website but was a bit put off by the limited English support. There seemed to be english pages but statements that policies/documents would be issued in German. If I follow that one up I may need your help Fandango with the t&c's.
I tried our bank Crockers (HSBC) but no help there.
I tried the AA but a 17 day policy was as much as all the others on offer for 1 year cover!
Audi offered a good deal at the end of their 3 year warranty cover. If I remember correctly it was about £80 for 1 year or £140 for 2 years. But as I said at the start I'm unlikely to keep the car for more than a few months.
Ive got to re-visit http://www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/breakdown/ and MoreThan as they were both offering reasonably priced cover.
My current thought is that, if I have to take an annual policy, to take the cover in the wifes name on a policy that covers the driver rather than the car and it will cover her Citroen C2 for the next year.

I'm looking at the ADAC website again - http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft_leistungen/mitgliedschaftstarife/membership/default.asp

I think I need cover for roadside assistance and, if the worst happens, help with onward travel either to Spain at the begining of the holiday or repatriation on the way home.

Can anyone understand their website better than me? Is Classic membership sufficient, or does that only provide roadside assistance?
If I need the Plus membership, this is very little different in cost to some to the UK based companies.

I just did a quote on Green Flag for my S500L for a year with 'Euro Plus' cover - £127.
They charge by the car/age. Good value surely?

At moneysupermarket.com I entered age of car and approx annual miles, selected the top (Platinum) cover.
It returned prices starting at £68.50.

At moneysupermarket.com I entered age of car and approx annual miles, selected the top (Platinum) cover.
It returned prices starting at £68.50.

With full UK and European cover? That's cheaper than a tank of fuel; what's holding you back?

Just UK cover with AA/RAC is around the £80 mark so that's amazing!

I'm looking at the ADAC website again - http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft_leistungen/mitgliedschaftstarife/membership/default.asp

I think I need cover for roadside assistance and, if the worst happens, help with onward travel either to Spain at the begining of the holiday or repatriation on the way home.

Can anyone understand their website better than me? Is Classic membership sufficient, or does that only provide roadside assistance?
If I need the Plus membership, this is very little different in cost to some to the UK based companies.

That's € 79.50 for the ADAC Plus membership

Prices are in €, so that's about £63

On the German version of the site it says classic only covers Germany. :confused:
I hope this - from the (broken) English version of their site - is a typo and not a get out clause though:
Germany and aboard

The medical bit on the ADAC plus cover looks good compared to UK offerings, but we are taking usual holiday insurance which includes medical cover - again MoneySupermarket.com - £15.70 for 17 days cover!
I think if I have to go for the Plus option on the ADAC site at about £63, I might just as well stick with the UK options at £68 to £70. I just need to research which suits our needs best - ie Audi for summer hols then transfer to wifes C2 for the rest of the year.

I ended up at
http://www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/breakdown/
Annual cover £59, includes europe but not cover within 1 mile of home. Covers the car with any insured driver. When I sell the car (or return from hols) the cover can be transfered free of charge to another vehicle.

Off Topic

Sorry for drifting OT, are you aware that France requires by law that you carry a high visibility jacket in the car now?
€90 - €135 fine could be imposed.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom