Breaking a W202 - what sells / what doesnt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IainB

Car
W220 S55
Having a bit of a nightmare with a friends W202 C280 Straight 6 Auto - latest being me snapping off the ignition key in the ignition, running a very fine drill into the middle of the key, slightly opening it out with a bigger drill (with the intention of trying to stick another piece of metal to it - and thus pull it out) But.....ended up snapping a small piece off and now the lock wont turn at all :( :mad: :eek:

BUt I digress, as the car seems to be slightly cursed, current thoughts (if I cant get a complete lock set muchos cheap) is to break the car for spares, hence this question.

Having broken 2 E30's in the past, I got to know what sold and what didnt. The Mercedes appears to be a bit low on the ground info wise (info on breaking, not repairing, this forum has been a godsend!!) so I thought I would ask here. Could anyone let me know what would go quickly and what bits wouldnt move please? (rough prices would be brilliant if available)

The Mono-Wiper mech would sell quickly & get you a good price, also the interior (if leather) as stated above.

Ive also managed 2 sell many bumpers very quickly on eBay.

Wheels, interior (if leather), bumpers, mirrors, panels, engine, gearbox, diff, electrical items etc.

There's not loads of W202s out there (in breakers) so good parts are desirable, only trouble being is that there's so many different types of W202 (new/old/petrol/diesel) that quite a few of the bits will be model dependent. Ie, switchgear, interior bits etc.

Maybe sell it as a project or for spares/repairs for someone else on ebay etc if you haven't the time/space to break it?

Will

Last edited:
The shell and boot will not sell, but the scrap metal prices are quite good.

What will sell
Engine and gearbox
Diff
Cluster
doors
bonet
bumpers
lights
electrics
seats if skin
Wheels and tyres
heater box with fan

Last edited:
What colour is it? Pre or Post facelift? I might be interested in the nearside door shells...

Michele

Won't your friend mind you breaking his car for spares?:eek:

Her car :D
It was purchased as a 'driveable project' (long story!) with the intention of fixing it up, we discussed the repair / sell as is / break for spares a while back

Its unfortunatley a cloth interior - so im guessing I wont be able to give that away - although the seats are all in very good condition age wise (I love the engineering on this car, made to last....apart from the engine loom!!)

Thanks for the advice, will see if I can locate a cheap as chips lock set first, but, if not - looks like a few weekends stripping the car, will be a shame to see if come to that though

Last edited:
Post a some pictures!

try one of the breakers, im sure you will be able to get a cheap lock set from somewhere! i personally wouldnt break it if you can help it!

What colour is it? Pre or Post facelift? I might be interested in the nearside door shells...

Michele

Hi Michele,
Im not sure on the colour code - but I do know its Red :) I have the colour on a VIN Decode, but its on the home PC.

try one of the breakers, im sure you will be able to get a cheap lock set from somewhere! i personally wouldnt break it if you can help it!

Ive been looking, have had some silly quotes so far through, so although I really dont want to, I think this will go the breaking route (and another dabble with E-Bay selling)

If you are breaking it, I'd be interested in the complete rear headrest dropdown mechanism including switch, along with the rear window motors, mechanisms and switches.....(complete looms attached if possible)

Last edited:
Just finished speaking to my friend, it looks like we will end up breaking this one :(
Quick question - does the vacum pump / ABS unit sell at all? The idea being that I try and take off as much as possible over this weekend, then scrap the rest and would hate to leave something of value left on the car.

Current list compiled from the above, with some additions

Engine and gearbox (probably as one complete unit)
Diff
Mono Wiper
Instrument Cluster
Doors
Bonnet
Bumpers
Front and Rear lights
Electrics (as much as I can get off, ECU's, ABS units etc + all the switchgear / interior light consoles etc)
Interior - Seats F&R, door cards and carpets (its cloth but good condition, so will try and sell at a giveaway price!)
Cat and exhaust (it looks in good condition)
heater box with fan
Steering wheel & Airbag
Radiator
ABS Unit
Vacum Pump

+ anything that could be retrofitted as a kit - though im guessing this will take more time to remove? (if I include the looms and vacum pipework)

Is there anything obvious that I have missed?

Calipers do sell, but not fast, Yes the vacuum pumps are a fast selling item,the ABS pump will sell (keep it clean) electric fan and the control unit if fitted, the box is behind the bumper near side front, how about power steering. the front wings unbolt and should sell if not rusty. dont forget the gearbox ECU passenger side by the console

Dont forget to work on the car so that a chain can be put through the roof and the hulk lifted onto the lorry

Calipers do sell, but not fast, Yes the vacuum pumps are a fast selling item,the ABS pump will sell (keep it clean) electric fan and the control unit if fitted, the box is behind the bumper near side front, how about power steering. the front wings unbolt and should sell if not rusty. dont forget the gearbox ECU passenger side by the console

Dont forget to work on the car so that a chain can be put through the roof and the hulk lifted onto the lorry

Malcolm, I've read in Car Mechanics magazine that scrap merchants are now paying £30-40 for car shells and the same for cats. So, taking into account all the other parts that can be sold what would a petrol W202 be worth in total as a braker ?
BTW there appears to be a Worldwide shortage of copper and lead as China sucks in the Worlds raw materials.

adam

Malcolm, I've read in Car Mechanics magazine that scrap merchants are now paying £30-40 for car shells and the same for cats. So, taking into account all the other parts that can be sold what would a petrol W202 be worth in total as a braker ?
BTW there appears to be a Worldwide shortage of copper and lead as China sucks in the Worlds raw materials.

adam
The scrap game varies on who you sell to, my friends get £70 for mixed steel, £2600 for clean copper and £3000 for bright copper (stripped cable)

The are people going around buying scrap cats from garages, but to do just one car you do not get enough of any one thing. the items on their own are worth far more to sell working.
Car breakers never pay the current rates

dont forget the gearbox ECU passenger side by the console

Thanks for that :) will make sure that they can lift the car up easily (my E30's were practially shells, so will try to do the same here)

Question to everyone - is it worth trying to sell the engine / box / gearbox ecu as one unit, or to split into seperate items?

Just been round to the garage, and in the slight drizzle and gloom, the car looks lovely :( its as if she knows her fate!!

Thanks for that :) will make sure that they can lift the car up easily (my E30's were practially shells, so will try to do the same here)

Question to everyone - is it worth trying to sell the engine / box / gearbox ecu as one unit, or to split into seperate items?

Just been round to the garage, and in the slight drizzle and gloom, the car looks lovely :( its as if she knows her fate!!

With the engine and box,wait and see, it might be easier to drop the front engine support leaving the engine on the ground and lift the stripped body off
the two joined together are very long, though with the rad out it will just swing through

The gear box ECU is not very saleable on its own, but with the box it does make a more desirable sale

Shame there are no crying smillies

Thanks again :)

Im leaning towards selling as a complete unit, engine and associated (MAF, alternator etc), gearbox and controls + gearbox ecu, any idea on what this could potentially go for? (its 'high mileage' approx 17k a year but runs lovely, no smoke etc)

Something I have just thought of - is it worth saving the aircon?, for the time that the car has been at mine, I havent been able to get it too run cool (may just need a re-gas, but with all these things, who knows?!?) or is this more trouble than its worth?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom