Breather Hose??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzed

Car
C350 CDI (W204) & VW Golf TDI (Runabout).
so I was looking over the engine bay and noticed some oil on the back coming from the plastic pipe near the turbo, I'm guessing it is the breather hose? If so what needs to be done to get this sorted out?

I've heard there are a few mods about, but struggling to find anything, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170524_180453.jpg
    20170524_180453.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170524_180506.jpg
    20170524_180506.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 39
So another pic, I gave it a clean etc but looks like the pipe coming off the turbo. which I think is the breather hose. does anyone know how easy it is to replace, and what tools are needed?

also, any ideas why it's leaking? Is there anything I need to look out for/check etc?

thanks

Attachments

• 20170525_180147.jpg
    20170525_180147.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 31
That is indeed the breather hose!
By the looks of it the "O" ring sealing it is allowing oil mist to pass out, hence the oil patch. It could however indicate the hose is going porous with heat refection/attack.

The housing on the back of the head which the hose attaches to is sealed into the head by this " O " ring which will be exposed if you remove the screws holding it to the head flank.
The other end is pushed into the air induction hose and will have a heater pushed at that end via a quasi connector which is in fact a mini heater assy .

Caution
If you disturb the plastic air intake hose at the turbo you must replace the hose adapter.

There are MB bulletins about that and refers to adapters getting sucked into the turbo! Beware!
I suggest you visit your local MB dealer and get ALL the items needed to replace it all BEFORE you have a bash and that includes the O ring. .
All the best
Tuercas Viejas

Thank you Tuercas, I will visit the dealer and get a replacement an o-ring. I'll look it all over before replacing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

And the other parts.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well apart from the O ring ask them about the hose!
It might be immediate available on the shelf as a separate item y but you will have to remove the shrunk ring on the housing connection.

In other instances the breather assembly will be only available complete as an assembly.
Separate items might be only available from the fatherland by special order.

A good dealer parts counter guy should be able to get what you need to DIY fix it.
Regards T/V

I would like to know the purpose of the little in-line heater just where the breather pipe enters the turbo inlet? Surely the gasses are at engine temp when they get there, what's the point of heating them further?

thanks bud, yes, I've been doing some reading up on it now, theres been a few updates of this over the years, so the new version has been modded, it supposedly used to cost around £25 odd pounds, and now retails for around £85 odd.

A few people have said if the air filters are dirty, then you'll get lots of issues with this oil misting as the car will look to suck air in from other weak points, and these are the weak points!!! I'll get the service booked in and filters etc changed then see how bad it is. I'll still get it changed, but wanted to make sure its not causing any other issues.

:)

I would like to know the purpose of the little in-line heater just where the breather pipe enters the turbo inlet? Surely the gasses are at engine temp when they get there, what's the point of heating them further?

I wouldn't know! Interesting point.

I'm not sure Druk - it could MB's version of an EGR cooler.. VW's are renowned for them.. almost like a heat exchanger.. see below:

For diesel engines this particularly applies to a further reduction in nitrogen oxides (NOx). Cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) can play a significant role in this context. Thanks to such cooling, the combustion chamber temperatures are lower, as is the level of nitrogen oxide formation.

I wouldn't know! Interesting point.

The heater is there to prevent ice crystals forming under certain conditions when condensate forms in the engine vent pipe. Ice of course could damage the turbo impeller blades if allowed to be ingested.
T/V

The heater is there to prevent ice crystals forming under certain conditions when condensate forms in the engine vent pipe. Ice of course could damage the turbo impeller blades if allowed to be ingested.
T/V

That makes sense, thanks. Makes one wonder under what circumstances would ice form in there. My engine, under that cover, is never less than hotter-than-hell. Anyone thought of diverting the breather into a vapour catchtank and thence to atmosphere or back to the inlet? That would take the oil content away from the inlet.

That makes sense, thanks. Makes one wonder under what circumstances would ice form in there. My engine, under that cover, is never less than hotter-than-hell. Anyone thought of diverting the breather into a vapour catchtank and thence to atmosphere or back to the inlet? That would take the oil content away from the inlet.

Druk
Greetings.
Well its all about condensation and water vapours really the by product of combustion.!

In old BMC stuff like Minis (remember them?) and cars with the B series engine you would often see it as a porridge like build up in the valve cover and oil filler neck. Really the result of too many short trips where the engine simply doesn't get hot enough to boil out contaminants in the winter months.

I had a 1957 Mog Minor as a student (many yurs ago) it always had "porridge" in the valve cover! :D
Obviously in very cold climates the difference between the lower part of the engine and the valve covers can be quite extreme on short trips leading to water vapour being sucked out forming ice crystals and getting ingested into the turbo..
MB's in some cases are a bit of a tech overkill or over engineered machine but that i why I like working on them .
Cheers Dennis aka Tuerca Viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom