brembo disc and pads re-newal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnnyLou

Car
mb 220 cdi estate
hi, any advice on my intention to up grade the brakes on my 220 cdi '58 reg m/b est. i'm thinking of fitting brembo disc and pads...

hi, any advice on my intention to up grade the brakes on my 220 cdi '58 reg m/b est. i'm thinking of fitting brembo disc and pads...
Why ?
Standard breaks on that 170 bhp beast inadequate ? :D

I would have thought that they would be more than adequate, but before going on the full upgrade route, perhaps try upgraded pads, braided hoses and better fluid first?

^ +1 Braided hoses, performance pads and top spec fluid and you will see a dramatic difference. If this still isn't up to your requirements swap out the discs for cross drilled and grooved I use MTec but its personal preference.

Nothing wrong with the Brembo upgrade its fantastic but does cost a fortune.

I converted mine to MTec cross drilled and grooved discs all round, Goodridge stainless steel flexis, Then fitted AP racing refurished and upgraded MB calipers and I'm currently running low dust Pagid Pro pads, although when these are done I will probably go back to Red Stuff. I also flushed the brake fluid and went with AP 600 competition fluid which has a boiling point of over 600 degrees F.

I couldn't be happier with the braking performance on my car and it does see a bit of track work including regular visits to the Nurburgring

The curious thing was I wanted to fit braided hoses on my 203. My insurer's advised they would not cover me if I did. My policy would be cancelled. So I didn't bother.

Might be prudent to check with your insurer before embarking on any upgrades?

The curious thing was I wanted to fit braided hoses on my 203. My insurer's advised they would not cover me if I did. My policy would be cancelled. So I didn't bother.

Might be prudent to check with your insurer before embarking on any upgrades?

Thats bizarre you are making your car safer and they want to cancel your cover :dk: Proves what I have always known car insurance is not based on risk :thumb:

After all the work I did on my brakes my policy did not change at all not by one penny

Last edited:
I agree it's a silly state of affairs. When I challenged it they responded by saying I would potentially be driving the car more aggressively!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom