• Yes

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 84 60.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 20 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
June 23rd it is then.

Just for a bit of completely unscientific amusement where do the Mercedes Party stand I wonder?

June 23rd it is then.

Just for a bit of completely unscientific amusement where do the Mercedes Party stand I wonder?

Very much with Michael Gove: a good concept but now hopelessly out of date and turned into a vastly wasteful, intrusive empire run by a self appointed, self serving and unaccountable elite.

Unfortunately I have to deal with such creatures as part of my work and I can tell you from first hand experience that they are utterly dreadful.

The UK Civil Service come in for a lot of stick but at least they listen. The EU Commission lot turn up with a series of half baked ideas straight from some academic text by Herr Professor Doktor Fachidiot and dig in.

In the 70's we were sold this as a trading relationship and over the years got more and more bogged down with political red tape.

Personally I think the "in or out" vote is a little too simplistic. Is there a manifesto I can read anywhere for this vote or is that what they were discussing this week?

We would be better entering a free trade arrangement and simply cutting off the rest of the nonsense.

If we choose no will we still retain membership of the EEA like Norway? If we do I vote out.

If we don't then the reality is we have to stay in.

The Greece mess (right from the moment they were allowed to join the EU) is enough of a reason to get out. But getting out completely with no trading or free movement arrangements wouldn't make sense.

Interesting article here which is reasonably balanced:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-EU-example-really-an-option-for-Britain.html

Last edited:
I work for a large European (plus a little RoW) FTSE 100 company

Leaving would create work, a little chaos, but opportunity to make changes and improvements (we are already looking at what ifs....)

On a personal level, it's time to look after ourselves on our little island. It will not be pain free but I vote out as tinkering with a broken model isn't good enough for the long term, only for the unelected who cling to power.
We and our European counterparts outside of Brussels shouldn't be under estimated in our capability to continue to work together and solve the problems we will face.
Europe, I don't have a problem with.
Brussels, I do.

I think this is going to be a close one....... and will engage more people than a general election, which in itself will be a good thing.

I voted to join the Common Market back in the day. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to vote about membership of the EU! I'm in favour of free trade with Europe, but the rest they can stick where the sun don't shine, so it's "out" for me!

Will any of you vote on the other end of what it might mean to/for GB if we vote 'out', namely that the SNP will use it as the opportunity for another independence referendum and vote separation? We may need to dump the 'G' and just have the 'B' in that scenario.That said, I think the Europeans want a 'single state', and I'm not therefore keen to stay.

Will any of you vote on the other end of what it might mean to/for GB if we vote 'out', namely that the SNP will use it as the opportunity for another independence referendum and vote separation? We may need to dump the 'G' and just have the 'B' in that scenario.That said, I think the Europeans want a 'single state', and I'm not therefore keen to stay.

In that scenario both letters will be dumped. UK is GB and NI not GB and SCO

Won't make any difference to The Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire. We've been hating the French and boycotting the EU for years. We are not too keen on West Yorkshire either :)

Just a reminder, one mention of any UK political party will have this thread closed quicker than Macedonian border crossing. :)

For once I'm not entirely sure any of the political parties are sure about this, it really does seem wide open. It's going to be interesting.

I think it all depends what question they ask at the referendum I bet it's one that doesn't involve a straight yes or no answer

KillerHERTZ said:
Just a reminder, one mention of any UK political party will have this thread closed quicker than Macedonian border crossing. :)

Reminds me of the Life of Brian sketch with mentioning the 'word' Jehovah !

I think it all depends what question they ask at the referendum I bet it's one that doesn't involve a straight yes or no answer

What will the referendum question be?
The question is always crucial in any referendum. The original 2013 suggestion from the Conservatives was: "Do you think that the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union. Yes or no". Some people thought this phrasing leaned too far towards the status quo (the current state of affairs) and the Electoral Commission, which has to approve the question, said it was not clear enough and proposed: "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" Downing Street and MPs have accepted the amended wording.

What will the referendum question be?
The question is always crucial in any referendum. The original 2013 suggestion from the Conservatives was: "Do you think that the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union. Yes or no". Some people thought this phrasing leaned too far towards the status quo (the current state of affairs) and the Electoral Commission, which has to approve the question, said it was not clear enough and proposed: "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" Downing Street and MPs have accepted the amended wording.

[YOUTUBE]G0ZZJXw4MTA[/YOUTUBE]

Perhaps it will follow the Irish model where we will be asked to vote again and again until we come up with the preferred answer......................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom