• Yes

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 84 60.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 20 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still to be persuaded but I cant help but think that we clearly have little ability to strike a deal from within. Perhaps striking a deal (trade agreement) from the out position might be easier.

Having read Mr Goves brilliantly written declaration, and generally in agreement with its entirety, it is difficult to comprehend those that wish to remain. Those of us that are older are aware of a time when we stood alone,not just during the war years, the younger generation know no different, preferring to remain in the rut, and assumed coziness of a non elected gaggle of foreigners. Long live England and democracy. :thumb:

….and long live the Daily Mail.

Those of us that are older are aware of a time when we stood alone,not just during the war years, the younger generation know no different, preferring to remain in the rut, and assumed coziness of a non elected gaggle of foreigners. Long live England and democracy. :thumb:

But the younger generation will endure the consequences (whatever they may be) for longer. Surely their wish should be considered (rather than lambasted). It isn't as though the older generation have left them a great Britain - despite doing well out of it itself.

I see Boris has come out on the Leave side.

I'm undecided at the moment. 20 Billion a year is a lot to pay for membership and I'm struggling to see the benefit of it. I'm fairly sure trade and co-operation on big matters would continue if we were out anyway. Or will it.

I think the major benefit of it, seldom mentioned, is there has been no major European war for a good long while, which even the most ardent anti must acknowledge is a good thing.

Problem is, the Common Market became the EU, which wasn't what we signed up for back in Heath's day. It turned into what must be the biggest mission creep ever.

I'm undecided at the mo. I'm also, contrary to what those in the Westminster bubble & the papers seem to think, completely indifferent & unmoved by what position Boris J. takes.

Just a reminder, one mention of any UK political party will have this thread closed quicker than Macedonian border crossing. :)

I hope that doesn't include the party of which Screaming Lord Sutch was such an illustrious member...

E55BOF said:
I hope that doesn't include the party of which Screaming Lord Sutch was such an illustrious member...
What? Official Monster Raving Loony Party??

Oops. Did it again :) :) :)

Taking the emotion out of this question, it is only logical to stay in. The new world is getting smaller, with trade treaties being forged not only between countries, but pack of countries.

There may even be a trade treaty between USA and the European Union in due course.

The "Great" in Great Britain has long gone with our empire. Logically the European Union is one treaty we should be a part of.

I will be voting in accepting that no marriage is perfect, but a divorce will be costly and more costly.

The truth is we don't know and we can only surmise what the outcome will be.

Personally I want us to leave. If only because being standalone again might make us realise that we need to pull our fingers out and start being Great again.

Amen

But the younger generation will endure the consequences (whatever they may be) for longer. Surely their wish should be considered (rather than lambasted). It isn't as though the older generation have left them a great Britain - despite doing well out of it itself.

Yes of course their wish should be considered, but we have the advantage having seen both sides of the coin. I don't feel I've lambasted the young at all, fact is, anyone under fifty has no notion of any other way of life, or even a proper democratically elected government able to make their own decisions, without intervention from Brussels or Stuttgart. :thumb:

Does anyone here believe that voting out would mean that we would not be buying milk etc from Poland, stop paying farmers to keep the land tidy and all the other ridiculous and blatantly obvious no-brainer down right stupid ideas that we've had to endure.
Excuse my ignorance, but is there somewhere a big plus and minus list ( not unlike Mrs. 203s one for me), that the man on the street can look at and make a rational choice? Wouldn't that be just far too simple though!

Patagonian said:
The truth is we don't know and we can only surmise what the outcome will be. Personally I want us to leave. If only because being standalone again might make us realise that we need to pull our fingers out and start being Great again. Amen

I'm with you there Chris, Wouldn't that be something. I heard this morning a certain ex- cabinet type person mentioning selling 'our cars' to America and Europe etc. Didn't know we had any left British owned!

I think the major benefit of it, seldom mentioned, is there has been no major European war for a good long while, which even the most ardent anti must acknowledge is a good thing.

Could not agree more. This period is the longest in the last number of centuries without a major war in Europe. . Coincidence. ... NOP. .. what is ghe value of that.. my opinion PRICELESS

theogeor said:
Could not agree more. This period is the longest in the last number of centuries without a major war in Europe. . Coincidence. ... NOP. .. what is ghe value of that.. my opinion PRICELESS

Good point, but the North Atlantic treaty was designed for that, all for one and one for all.

i'm for staying in, should the country vote for the exit it will take at least 6 years to "consciously uncouple" to quote Gwyneth Paltrow and the only winners will be the lawyers billing £1,000's by the hour.

Then a short assertive Scottish lady of a party I can't mention with go into hyperdrive seeking a divorce via a referendum not forgetting the economic turbulence as we seek to trade with a club we used to belong to and which took 51% of what we produced and might not do so again.

I think I managed not to say a party name unlike TED........

This is really doing my head in.

There is an impact on every aspect of the running and position of the UK (sorry, excluding Scotland it would seem).

I've got a horrible feeling that relatively minor stuff like the payment of childcare to non-resident dependants will sway people in what is a life changing event.

I'm genuinely flumoxed as everytime I look at the arguments for one element (for instance exchange of criminal/terrorist intelligence) I go one way yet stop and wonder if it would be such a big deal, looking at relationships we have elsewhere that do the job.

I sincerely hope that for once the population takes it's research seriously and makes an informed vote.

I think the whole war thing is complete rubbish. There's no way another war would happen after the two big ones in quick succession. The Allies teamed up well to keep Germany in check, plus the biggest peacekeeper are the Atomic bombs.

If it wasn't for those then I think Russia would have kicked off the next one. Europe wouldn't have done anything to prevent that, just like we failed Ukraine in protecting them as we promised and let Russia walk off with Crimea.

Europe had no role in keeping Japan peaceful either, so let's drop the whole no-war thing.

Wow, we've reach 4 pages and still no one has argued, mentioned cyclists, C63s, leasing or Adolf Hitler...

...and we're talking about politics. :D

I want the person I vote for in Parliament to make my laws not some faceless mandarin in Brussels. I voted in the original prposition and that was to join the European Economic Community, not some Euro political superstate. Exiting will not prevent us from buying and selling to anyone in Europe, nor will it stop us taking holidays in Spain or Greece if we so choose.

Do we really think that France Germany and anyone else is going to have a sulk and not have anything to do with us, I think not. I daresay there are plenty of other Europeans who would like their governments to control their own country's without outside interference.

A minority of elected MPs want us to exit the EU - but would lose the vote in parliament. So, they whip up some populist hysteria that will persuade the electorate to vote out in a referendum bypassing parliament in the process. And the talk is of the EU undemocratically manipulating us!

Wow, we've reach 4 pages and still no one has argued, mentioned cyclists, C63s, leasing or Adolf Hitler...

...and we're talking about politics. :D

You mean the fact that Adolf Hitler cycled to his local MB dealer to pick up his C63 which he had leased :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom