Brian's Frugal Day Out (Part I)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not quite sure I understand this thread. Perhaps it should have been titled 'I wanted a Micra, but bought a Mercedes by mistake'

Yes, I can crawl around in my SLK and get 35mpg. It isn't what I bought the car for.

If I wanted to save a thousand quid a year, I'd have bought the aforesaid Micra or similar.

It's an attempt to understand the financial impact of driving in a more frugal / eco-friendly fashion.

There have been many "I get poor economy from my C220 threads" - this is a "I get good economy by driving differently thread".

For me, the rising cost of fuel has started to hurt!

It's an attempt to understand the financial impact of driving in a more frugal / eco-friendly fashion.

There have been many "I get poor economy from my C220 threads" - this is a "I get good economy by driving differently thread".

For me, the rising cost of fuel has started to hurt!
If you want to make big savings regarding the use of fuel, then my advice would be to take an advanced driving course!

If you have done one already, then stop reading now:) if you haven't then read on.

Forward observation and anticipation will bring about huge savings in fuel. Every time we apply the brake, the chances are we will shortly after have to accelerate. If we continually stop, start, slow down and then accelerate; then this is drinking our fuel like it is going out of fashion??

Yes, a thousand times yes.... commuter driving, in bumper to bumper, slow moving traffic is a fact of city driving and is perhaps unavoidable so should we should consider buiying a more suitable vehicle; or even a...... bicycle!:eek: :eek: :eek:

It is impossible to go into detail about what I am discussing, and very easy to give it the 'yawn' or even nit pick, but as my old sergeant always used to say,

'The minute we pass our test, is the minute we start developing bad habits!'.

Twenty years of driving does not make us experts in the finer skills of driving, or even educate us into how to hone our skills. We need to be told, or shown how to improve.

Forward observation and anticipation will keep the fuel nozzle at bay, at least for another day! :devil: :) :)

These courses should improve our driving AND should improve our driving skills AND should cut down the times it takes to drive from A to B!

Yes, cut down the times. We will learn all about making progress (safe overtaking) :eek: ;) and in line with what has been asked.... The forward observation and anticipation should allow us to keep making progress and perhaps iron out a few of our bad driving habits.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Regards
John

47 mpg today South West London to Doncaster, 220 miles cruising at 80 when possible! Very pleased!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom