Bridge Camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
I'm getting tired of the shutter lag on my Pentax Optio, so I'm considering getting a bridge camera. I don't want a DSLR because I'm not really into photography, but I want something that can do most of the stuff a DSLR can do :)rolleyes: ).

It seems that I don't need to spend more than £300, and I can get a very good deal on Olympus through a friend. Would prefer SD card compatability, and I'm looking at:

Panasonic DMC-FZ18
Fujifilm Finepix S8000fd
Olympus SP-550/60/70UZ

Anybody got experience of these (or other bridge cameras) and willing to offer some advice?

TIA

PJ

Hello

I've had a Fuji S6500fd for two years and have been looking at changing to a DSLR but it keeps taking pictures that too me I would be hard to beat spending £800 on the Nikon D80 I was looking at.

Also the fuji has a 28 -300mm (equiv) lens, so no need to have a bag of kit and different (exspensive len's). I bought it when we were expecting and with the FD technology it takes great pics of our little one...

Here is my flckr pics for you to look at.

DP review is good also, but camera advise is a nightmare FAR worse than cars, everyone thinks they are right. Try it in the shop and if it feels right go for it. Mine can probably be bought new now for £130 (I paid £280) and 6.1 mega pixals is pleanty for A4 prints.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceys/

and some pics...

DSCF9436.jpg

DSCF8345.jpg

DSCF4811.jpg

DSCF4786.jpg

DSCF0932.jpg

Yep, Fuji Finepix Bridge for me as well. A bit slow to start up so it's possibly not good for instant action shots. Mine is 4 years old though.
My fuji takes 2 different cards carried in 2 card slots- XP and SD. You can shut down and switch to the other card in a moment. Really useful

I've got a Panasonic (maybe a previous model) and it is superb. Very lightweight, and solidly built too (dropped a couple of times).

My only criticism is equally applicable to all similar camers - I don't like a finger operated zoom control - I want to keep my finger on the shutter.

I prefer a full digital SLR - as the zoom control is by rotating the lens barrel. However they are heavier and typically have a shorter zoom range.

If you dont use the camera correctly, you will still get shutter lag. Causes are

1- not letting the camera focus first (by pressing button halfway) means the camera focuses before shooting

2- using red-eye reduction causes shutter delay.

Called into my local electronics "pile 'em high" shop and got a dashed good deal on this, which scores consistently highly in all the reviews, so I'm a happy bunny :bannana:

Just waiting for the battery to charge up...

Enjoy!

Can you post some pictures showing the 18x zoom as I would be interested in that possibly..

thanks

I'll see if I can find a suitable subject later today.

Turns out I'm probably not going to get the time later today, so here's a quick example from the garden. I make no excuses for composition, exposure, subject or failure to use a tripod:

1X
2qxaibl.jpg

6X
309r60n.jpg

12X
2ufuczc.jpg

18X
1r3gj8.jpg

These were Jpeg, not RAW (I don't really understand what RAW does, except take up 4 times more disk space)

If the picture size reduced (to 3mp @ 16:9, 4.5mp @ 3:2 or 5mp @ 4:3), then the optical zoom will go out to 28.7X

1X at 3mp @ 4:3
4kadxv.jpg

18x at 3mp @ 4:3
119w3ux.jpg

28.7X at 3mp @ 4:3
29xi346.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Canon Powershot G9 last month, amazingly excellent piece of kit and £299 fits your price range. I went to buy a SLR but after trying a few in the shop, this one was by far the best suited to my needs. Excellent zoom and fantastic macro.

I have not had the chance to photo any bridges with it yet tho' but will try and find some and let you know.
:D

Best clean up that oil slick and mow the lawn before Environmental Health get wind of this...;)

The pics look very green, no doubt due to the fine weather we have had of late however we had a Fuji Finepix digital a few years back (designed by Porsche allegedly...) it supposedly had a Zeiss lens but everything had a green tint compared with our Canon Ixus we have now.

Could be my monitor.. I expect there are buttons and menus to fiddle with to adjust the balance..

Is RAW not an uncompressed format allowing for greater Photoshop tinkering.

I miss my old non digital SLR, but not enough to get a new battery for it. :)

Ade

Ade B said:
Best clean up that oil slick and mow the lawn before Environmental Health get wind of this...;)

That 'lawn' is actually supposed to be a wild flower meadow, but the clover and grass took over, so I cut it back, with a view to re-turfing and re-seeding. Two weeks ago, it was three feet high...

Ade B said:
The pics look very green, no doubt due to the fine weather we have had of late however we had a Fuji Finepix digital a few years back (designed by Porsche allegedly...) it supposedly had a Zeiss lens but everything had a green tint compared with our Canon Ixus we have now.

This camera has a Leica lens. I think the greenness is just due to the subject matter.

Ade B said:
Is RAW not an uncompressed format allowing for greater Photoshop tinkering.

Dunno. I don't have Photoshop anyway.

Meldrew2 said:
Yet Leica cameras have Leitz lenses....

Go figure :confused: :confused:

Both part of the same group. I was told that all Leica lenses are Leitz, just branded Leica in consumer products as that's the brand better known for cameras.

That 'lawn' is actually supposed to be a wild flower meadow, but the clover and grass took over, so I cut it back, with a view to re-turfing and re-seeding. Two weeks ago, it was three feet high...

Certainly looks better than the battlefield that is our lawn at the moment (works postponed to next year) - nice garden BTW.

Ade

Called into my local electronics "pile 'em high" shop and got a dashed good deal on this, which scores consistently highly in all the reviews, so I'm a happy bunny :bannana:

Just waiting for the battery to charge up...

Just ordered the FZ28 as there is not much of a difference in price. How are you getting on with the new toy?

eGuru said:
How are you getting on with the new toy?

Not used it much so far. It's at home and I'm in Düsseldorf, but I'll play with it next week.

I've already found out that it knows more about photography than I do. Quite a lot more, it seems.

I can take pictures of things nearby, and also of stuff a long way away. I can make things blurry or not, and I can make things back and white or not.

The rest is a mystery so far, so it should keep me future-proofed for a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom