Bridgeston Potenza RE050 - Recommended

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
I have been running with the new Bridgestone Potenza RE050, a pair fitted to the rear of my W211 (they are 245/45/17's). Have now done 400miles on them. What a difference, the car drives as if it is on rails, cornering is fantastic and the noise levels are reduced definatly worth considering if you are changing the tyres :) . Its like having new car, I just wish my fronts would wear so I can get rid of the OEM fit Continentals, so I have one on each corner.

See the following review http://www.reifentest.com/cgi-bin/a...03z103z147&&&EN and they are currently even beating the Michelin.

At last, somebody who actually agrees with me. Bridgestones are brilliant.

How do these tyres compare price wise with the alternatives? Are they very expensive?

I got a very good trade price on my first set, 4 x 205/60 R15 for £200. My second set were a bit dearer 4 x 205/55 R16 for £320.

I think the tyres are brilliant, they grip like anything in dry or wet, are quiet and last very well, they also look good and have a rim protector.

I did not shop around much because of time and need (I had a slow puncture in one) but the prices were as follows fully fitted, so you get some comparison, I am sure if you shopped around you could get them cheaper (also don't forget mine are 245/45/17)

Replace with Continental conti sport 2 (these were the OEM fit) = £120 each
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 = £145 each
Michelin Pilot Primacy or Sport = £185 each

I would be interested if anyone can find my size cheaper, if I could change my fronts for far say £150 for both it would be worth doing it just to replace the Continentals.

The tyre review site I found says the Bridgestones are brilliant and are currently their top tyre, so we are not alone Jimmy.

Check out www.bridgestone.co.uk for more details on this tyre.

I went for 4* Michelin Pilot Primacy when I replaced mine, interesting all 4 of mine needed replacing at the same time. You must accelerate harder than me :)

Anyway I can't fault the Michelin's at all, very quiet and lots of grip.

Costco are the best bar none for michelin tyres if youre paying for them

My 195/65/vr15 Pilot exalto tyres are £60 each fitted.

The last big tyres we bought were 235/45/wr 17 Pilot Exalto and they were a flabbergasting £95 each fitted :eek: That was with their frequent buy 4 and save 40 quid thing.

The 235/45/17 pilot sports are about £120 and the Michelin rep didnt think they were that much better then the exalto.

How do the RE050s differ from the S03. I see they're about the same price. I have been put off the S03s by the huge wear rate and the fact that they're utterly useless in winter.

All the tyres mentioned are summer tyres so none will be good in the snow. I've had both RE040's and S03's on my previous car. The S03's seemed to have better grip but did wear very quickly.

Yeah, but the S03s were unbelievably bad. The original equipment Pirelli P6000s were not good in snow, but at least they were acceptable. With the S03s the car was completely undriveable.

The front OEM Continentals on my W211 have finally died at 42,568 miles. I have just had the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 245/45/17 fitted. I have put the new ones on the rear. The original RE050 that were fitted on the rear have now done 18,000 miles and there is still loads of rubber left.

The grip now on the vehicle is amazing having the Bridgestones front and rear :D . The chap who runs the tyre place also has the Bridgestones fitted to his Merc he also is really pleased with wear and grip. So if your looking for tyres these are well worth looking at.

The RE050 was only lauched last year it seems to be a big step up in overall performance to some of their older models.

Everlasting tyres

Just to update everyone. My vehicle has now done 69,000 miles. The fronts are getting low (these were originally on the rear from 24Kmiles and were switched to front at 42K) So in total these have been on the car for 45,000 miles. I am going to change them in the next 2K

The rears still have loads of tread these were fitted at 42K and will be moved onto the front when I change.

So in summary, the Bridgestones are excellent value for money, nice and quite and loads of grip.

The REO50 were Bridgestones latest generation tyres and perform far better than there other tyres.

I have been popping down my tyre centre every few thousand miles as I can not believe how long these tyres are lasting. They say they are not going to sell them anymore as they are bad for business. (I know they will as they all have them fitted to their personal cars!);)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom