Brighter bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
big x said:
I was comparing them to normal Osram bulbs today and funnily enough everything on the hardware side looks identical apart from the actual filament.

Aren't they filled with a different gas?

Hi,
Thought I'd recommend www.consumabulbs.com :bannana: very competitive prices, easy to use selection system and reliable fast service. I had to return a Silver Star bulb (faulty manufacture) and Simon sent the replacement before he received the faulty bulb back.:D
Nige

Last edited:
Shude said:
Yes, I bought two packs of the silvervisions and got bluevision sidelights for free. Powerbulbs always have some deal or other on.

The silvervisions don't look as silver as they used to but have the same effect.

I recently recovered all the bulbs from my old headlamp units so I have lots of spare H7s and a few spare H1s so bulbs aren't a problem for me right now ;)
Ordered from PowerBulbs on Tuesday, arrived Wednesday morning. Went for the Philips VisionPlus (H7) and Philips SilverVision (PY21W) for the indicators and got the sidelights (Philips BlueVision) free. Not sure what the blue will look like, but can't complain for free :)

Flyer said:
Not sure what the blue will look like, but can't complain for free :)

Yup I put them in the car as spares, may try them one day if I get the time!

Flyer said:
Not sure what the blue will look like, but can't complain for free :)
They are blue to look at but the light output is slightly whiter than normal.

Well, fitted all the bulbs, except the BlueVision. They have a W5W fitting, which is obviously wrong. Looks like it should be a H6W fitting. Nick, did you ask for a H6W bulb (presuming your sidelights are the same as mine) on the free offer?

Flyer said:
Well, fitted all the bulbs, except the BlueVision. They have a W5W fitting, which is obviously wrong. Looks like it should be a H6W fitting. Nick, did you ask for a H6W bulb (presuming your sidelights are the same as mine) on the free offer?
I didn't ask for anything! Have you compared bulbs with the current ones?

Shude said:
I didn't ask for anything! Have you compared bulbs with the current ones?
Yep, totally different:

Pretty sure this is what's in now (H6W):
99.jpg

This is what they have sent (W5W):
80.gif

They say W5W fits 95% of cars; guess the CLK is in the 5% :rolleyes:

Being a cheapskate, I fitted Ring Xenons at £10 ! The blurb says they are up to 60% brighter than usual fitments. They certainly seem to be brighter.

Out of curiosity, what WOULD putting a set of 100W/130W bulbs into the high-beam slots of a W202 do to the electrics? (needless to say, these wouldn't be used on the road in the UK... in certain countries (like the one I come from :p) EXTREMELY powerfull high beams can be quite handy...)

Michele

If you drove them via a relay, it shouldnt be a problem - I don't know how you would defeat the bulb failure warning though.

You would also have to consider how the headlamp would cope with twice the amount of heat generated.

Ted said:
If you drove them via a relay, it shouldnt be a problem - I don't know how you would defeat the bulb failure warning though.

You would also have to consider how the headlamp would cope with twice the amount of heat generated.

Thanks, the things I was most concerned with was the heat and the excess load on the alternator. As I'm counting an extra 150W, I'm guessing the alternator will hold it (I've seen much more power hungry appliances running off my car :p); but that doesn't take into account the heat... hmm...

I guess I'll go with 55W bulbs... need to do some research on which are "best" though... ;)

Don't know if its any help Michele , but in days gone by i used to run 100/130 w 's in all the lights on my Mk1 Golf Cabrio ....

:devil: 1/2 a Kw used to light the road up nicely , and on cold nights you could keep warm by standing in front of the car with the lights on main beam , or blister paint at 10 yards ( not really :rolleyes: ) ...... didn't seem to damage the lights at all , but then they weren't Mercedes lights ....

Howard said:
Don't know if its any help Michele , but in days gone by i used to run 100/130 w 's in all the lights on my Mk1 Golf Cabrio ....

:devil: 1/2 a Kw used to light the road up nicely , and on cold nights you could keep warm by standing in front of the car with the lights on main beam , or blister paint at 10 yards ( not really :rolleyes: ) ...... didn't seem to damage the lights at all , but then they weren't Mercedes lights ....

LOL! Now, you AREN'T comparing a merc to a vw, are you? :p I have a feeling that merc-owners would have something to say :p What worries me most is the reflector melting... I do believe there is plastic behind... (and something about a bulb-blown indicator comign on...). As soon as I gather a good list of bulbs out there, I'll post a poll to see which ones to get ;)

Michele

to save the risks involved I have just ordered Philips new +80's but standard wattage, due in the next couple of weeks

Ok, I have a quick and dirty list... anyone know of any other bulbs?
(Some have prices, some wattage, some both, some none...)
Osram Cool Blue (55w)
Osram Silverstar Brighter Light (55W)
Unknown 130W bulb (6.71 for 2) http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=85
Ring Rally Sport (130W) (19.99)
Ring Ultra Xenon H1 (Pair) + FREE SIDELIGHTS (19.99)
Ring Ice Blue Bulbs (12.99)
Philips Vision Plus (17.50)
Philips Blue Vison ULTRA(24.99)
Philips Rally H1 100W (23.99)
PIAA Platinum White Bulbs (48.99)
PIAA Plasma Spark Blue (55W)(66.99)
PIAA Extreme Plus Bulbs (66.99)

Last edited:
I have Silverstars in the whale, and very pleased i am with them ....

Yup I have Silverstars in my R129 - big improvement for not much money.

I added halogen spotlights to a Fiat 126 I had many years ago ... those and the headlights together pulled more current than the maximum output of the weedy little dynamo (not alternator) it had. That's OK in short doses - you are just discharging the battery.

I had rather more fun with a Vauxhall Viva that I also added spotlights to. One night I was down in Cornwall with my mates, hammering along a sunken lane in the middle of the night - spotlights etc. blazing. Unknown to me, the main supply from battery to fusebox had a thermal trip (circuit breaker) in it - which operated at a certain current, based on a bi-metal strip heating up (so not very precise). Anyway I switched the heated rear windscreen on and guess what - everything electrical suddenly went and we were charging along at about 60 in pitch black :eek:

Longest second or two in my life until the breaker reset (they are a bit like a glorified indicator relay) and everything came back on.

:eek:

When i lived down in cornwall, we used to flick all the lights off for a second as we approached a junction or crossroads or tight corner , so we could see if we needed to slow down for it or if we could safely drop onto the other side of the road to take the corners fast ..... :rolleyes:

Its horribly scary , i agree

Howard said:
:eek:

When i lived down in cornwall, we used to flick all the lights off for a second as we approached a junction or crossroads or tight corner , so we could see if we needed to slow down for it or if we could safely drop onto the other side of the road to take the corners fast ..... :rolleyes:

Its horribly scary , i agree

LMAO! One begs to wonder, did everyone do that? If so, wouldn't both cars have their light off? :p

As for bulbs, I got a pair of silverstars for my dipped beams(55W) and one of those cheapo 130W halogen things to fiddle with on my high beams (I always have the random halfords 50% brighter bulbs I had in there before if needed).

I tried them out, only to realise something as I flicked on the high beam switch... fuses! A fizz later, I need to goto halfords to buy some fuses. Out of curiosity, if I were to fit an... oh-uhmm 10A instead of a 7.5A fuse (if my physics serves me right, which it rarely does :p) what adverse effects could this have on the car? Are the wire's thick enough to handle the extra drain? I know the alternator can handle it (in my more immature days I had a 400W amp in the boot with a 1farad capacitor) so an extra 150W shouldn't affect that too much, but I'm worried about the wiring loom. Heat shouldn't be an issue as being high beams, they will be used (outside of the UK and off road only of course :p) only for a few seconds at a time.

A final query, what fog lights does everyone have? Is it worth upgrading those to a 50% brighter bulb? Do yellow-tinter brighter bulbs even exist?

Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom