Brightwork Quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

olliesgrandad

Car
A207 E250 cabriolet 2012
I have just sold my 46,000 mile 63 reg AMG Blue efficiency C220cdi and replaced it with a 62 plate e250CDi cabriolet.

When I purchased my C Class 10 months ago from Cheltenham Mercedes I had to get the dealer to replace the bright finish side rubbing strips under warranty due to corrosion under the plastic coating.- also the wheel centre caps.
2 weeks ago when I purchased my cabriolet from Mercedes Bristol I asked the salesman to check the condition of the side rubbing strips and wheel centres before delivery (the car was brought into stock for me from Carlisle). In fairness he did and the centre caps were replaced. The first time I washed the car after delivery I noticed that the bootlid chrome finisher above the number plate lights was showing signs of micro pitting. This was readily replaced under warranty a couple of days later ( which shows that the parts were available in UK stock as they were at the dealer within 24 hours).
I am quite surprised that 2 newish cars of this quality have had bright work issues.
I wonder whether this is a common complaint with modern Mercedes in general?

I just had my centre caps replaced without question at my last service simply because I mentioned that they showed signs of degradation.

They are not inspected and changed routinely if there is a problem unless the customer mentions it.

If only their QC on parts supply was as good as their Warranty Claims at times .................

I'm not sure if they are all the same but the centre wheel caps on mine are just paint and polished alloy. The first use of any aggressive wheel cleaner used by a dealer tarnishes them instantly but they will polish up again.

You have a point here, it aint the best, neither is Aston Martin, their brightwork grills tarnish very easliy.
Some tips:
Never use acidic alloy wheel cleaner.
After cleaning alloys always wash down thoroughly with a good wash n wax shampoo.
Apply a cheap wax after washing all brightwork, eg Collinite or similar.
Avoid your local car washes - they always use TFR solutions.

LTD said:
I just had my centre caps replaced without question at my last service simply because I mentioned that they showed signs of degradation...
Ditto. The cost to the dealer of a set of centre caps is peanuts for the good feeing of customer service it engenders.

knighterrant said:
Ditto. The cost to the dealer of a set of centre caps is peanuts for the good feeing of customer service it engenders.

Is this something I should sneakily mention at the next service? I have blue ones from previous wheels, quite scratched. Now have diamond cut/black alloys so would like some of the black centre caps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom