Bring Back the Mercedes Grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The saloon grille in the W204 prefacelift Sport looks too good. Beautiful.

Guys, if MB UK don't want to sell a MB with grille and star, don't worry, Ireland is just around the corner...they sell all the variants. :) :) :)

This is true, but please please.. just know this guys

the traditional grille and the sports grille are NOT interchangeable..

the sports grille bumper goes all the way to bonnet shut line and an infill is the star grille

the luxury grille bumper stops at the top of where the headlamp meets the bonnet, and the area above is all grille, so effectively, the chrome grille meets the bonnet shut line..

to change it over, you much replace the bumper, the mounting undernear, and the grille, along with the vents and all the plastic filler bits in the bottom middle, left and right

if there were easily interchangeable, this thread would not exist with the passion i am showing!!!

:)

mercedes-benz-w212-mopf-8237403509230481848.jpg

Am I the only person that has actually mentioned this to M-B UK? Having a grouse on the forum is fine, but will not change anything.

i have mentioned it, initially was told will be coming, then told it wont be.. and he said "you can bet this is the new direction mercedes are going to stick with... this was a guy at watford..

same story at colindale and brentford..

lincoln said not possible and oxford the same.. said they are sticking to the integrated grill star

:(

The Boss,
Is it worth contacting MB Germany (Head Office) and let them know about this petition and that the UK dealers are not showing any positive response? Maybe they can pressurize the head quarters at MB UK? Im sure they will understand our problem :)

You never know, they might threaten MB UK and not supply them with the cars unless they agree to the saloon grille and star :) :) :) :)... I wish!

i need more support on the fb page and on here.. and other forums seem to have a similar view too.. about how to interchange the front etc etc

Hi Boss!

I am seriously tempted to buy the new C Class, but still cannot come to terms with the fact that here in the UK it is not available with the classic grille, which to me is complete non-sense (as well as a potential show-stopper).

A couple of weeks ago I launched a poll on this forum: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclub-polls/179616-classic-vs-sport-grille-saloon-merc.html

Although the members' preference is evenly split between classic and sport grille, over 90% of us rightfully believe that the classic grille should still be offered as an option... which is actually the case in any major car market in the world apart from the UK:dk:

In fact, the "Exclusive" version of the C class (and I believe of the E Class as well) is available in at least all the following countries (probably inhabited by primitive individuals who have not seen the "light" yet):

- Australia (right hand drive)
- China
- France
- Germany (where the "local Mercedes branch" does not have a clue of how a modern Mercedes should look like)
- Ireland... yes, right hand drive again :wallbash:
- Italy
- Malaysia... yes, right hand drive too :wallbash: :wallbash:
- Netherlands
- Poland
- Russia
- Spain
- South Africa... guess what... right hand drive as well.. and this is the fourth country :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
- South Korea
- Sweden
- United States of America

Have you already contacted MB UK? I was planning to do it, but I have seen your campaign on both this forum and Facebook (which I am not a member of), so I would rather check with you first and take advantage of your expertise on this subject.

Many thanks,

Fab

For me and I am sure many others, the MB upright symbol holds more charm, prestige and class than the Rolls royce upright symbol and in my opinion surely no one would like to remove the upright symbol from a RR, so why a Mercedes??

I don't like the wraith anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they did this...
Looks awful, but if young'uns like it......

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Saw a white E-class facelift sport today in Leicester with the old style grille, approaching it I thought it was an SE but getting closer realising it was a sport. That grille really set it off nicely

I have no doubt MBUK is responding to the wishes of the majority of purchasers (or, perhaps, in this day and age, "choosers") on this one. However, in doing so they exclude or alienate a minority to their cost. I confess I do not understand the strategy.

I would buy (yes, with the help of a bank loan) a petrol-powered E350 Elegance Estate (like I could if I were a German in Germany) if only they would sell one to me. But they won't so I don't. I do not want a "sporty" or "aggressive" car. I certainly do not want an AMG Sport Night Edition or whatever dross they are offering these days! Oh, I would prefer mine in Dolomite Brown Metallic, but again that is not offered in the UK market.

It seems to me that MBUK's strategy is to offer a wide choice of models but very little choice within each model range.

Has the front of the cars changed so much that the original grill might not suit the general new shape of some models.

Just a thought

Has the front of the cars changed so much that the original grill might not suit the general new shape of some models.

Just a thought
No. The traditional look is offered in all other markets on both the w205 and the w212. There is no technical or aesthetic reason why it is not offered here; presumably there is a marketing reason, but I am not sure what it is. Likewise multi-cylinder petrol engines: they are offered (with RHD) in other markets but not here.

15851.jpg

jjrodger said:
No. The traditional look is offered in all other markets on both the w205 and the w212. There is no technical or aesthetic reason why it is not offered here; presumably there is a marketing reason, but I am not sure what it is. Likewise multi-cylinder petrol engines: they are offered (with RHD) in other markets but not here.

Unfortunately you won't like the answer.....

Like any company it wants to appeal to a target market, and for Mercedes that is a young audience. A classic merc grill is not on the 20-40 hit list of desired upgrades.

Whilst a lot will now no doubt put me right, the younger driver changes cars more often lured in with flashy designs, cheap finance. The older driver will by a car and keep it for 5-10 years...... Sounds great but not if you want to distribute your product quickly.

Just like buying new houses, there all dressed modern with smart/sleek kitchens and fancy light fittings. I don't think I've ever seen one with nets in the windows, a throw over the sofa - the house builders may limit their selling capability.

As for the bigger petrol cars, again by popular demand the diesel takes the larger end of sales - mainly in rep car format. Why would any manufacture fill a showroom with product it would have a limited market for? This could change tho in the near future given diesels current reputation.

Just my 2p worth :)

I'm young and quite liked the bonnet star. Though it doesn't have its place on ever model but I would expect one on an E class or larger.

It was great to judge distances too.

StuartK said:
I'm young and quite liked the bonnet star. Though it doesn't have its place on ever model but I would expect one on an E class or larger. It was great to judge distances too.

On the weekend I saw a Nissan Qashqai with a look a like style merc Star stood up on its bonnet....... Oh dear oh dear. Would have taken a pic but the guy was still in it.

I understand the the first half of the marketing rationale. But nobody is asking MBUK to fill its showrooms with unwanted stock: I merely wish to be able to place an order for a car which they already manufacture.

I am 39. My wife and I have professional occupations. We have three cars, all Mercedes. In my family we have always bought Mercedes. We are ideal prospective customers. MB could sell us a new car every three years for the next 30 years if it wanted to. Yet MBUK offers nothing I want to buy; it offers nothing my wife wants to buy; it offers nothing my father wants to buy.

jjrodger said:
I understand the the first half of the marketing rationale. But nobody is asking MBUK to fill its showrooms with unwanted stock: I merely wish to be able to place an order for a car which they already manufacture. I am 39. My wife and I have professional occupations. We have three cars, all Mercedes. In my family we have always bought Mercedes. We are ideal prospective customers. MB could sell us a new car every three years for the next 30 years if it wanted to. Yet MBUK offers nothing I want to buy; it offers nothing my wife wants to buy; it offers nothing my father wants to buy.

I suppose that's why we all have choice, best part about all of us. It may sound like you need a change in brand??

Myself and the wife are kind of the opposite, we both have new merc's and have owned a couple now. The day they start fitting classic grills as I would no longer want to buy a merc.

Your only other resort is to replace the grill after purchase? Plenty must be around on eBay?

The thing is it's the way all manufacturers are going. Make all cars look the same and just whack a huge grill or badge on it. Job done.... I'm 24 and personally much rather see a star in front of me. There's nothing snobby about it, it's something that shouldn't be lost but I have a strong feeling it will be. Am I right in thinking it's only the S class left running a bonnet star?

Interestingly enough, I have been looking at a F10 535i "luxury" touring, although that word makes me want to puke. The other alternative is just to buy one in Germany, where the available range is vast: in Germany I can have my E-Class how I want it, not how you want it!

Quite agree. I've had Mercedes on and off for 25 years, and wife has had A-classes for 10+years, but I find the current model options / marketing leaving me feeling confused.

I don't want 'sports' variations to be the only options (I like sports cars and have a weekend toy for when I want that), and I now find it becoming increasingly difficult to work out what model it is being driven towards me, the mercedes 'face' meaning they all look very similar.

And an AMG should be an AMG, preferably a V8, not some different wheels and different coloured stitching. Still, no doubt if it's good enough for BMW M-Sport, it's good enough for MB.

Rant over......:D

15851.jpg

Can't argue as my 212 has star on bonnet.
I like it but then I am getting a bit older now .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom