Bristol Cars Liquidation sale.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The current owners of Bristol cars also own the Fraser-Nash brand name as well which i seem to remember has some link to BMW in the dim distant past.

Frazer-Nash were the UK distributors for BMW in the 30's, and built tiny numbers of a variation of the 328i in the 40's & 50's

As AFN they became the main UK distributor for Porsche for a while and then just one of the UK Porsche dealers , from their base in Isleworth. I bought my 924 and 944 from them in the 80's.

But most people think of Frazer-Nash as the "chain gain:" dyed in the wool racers - the sort of people who take their engines apart on the kitchen table, rebuild it, and race it the following day. (And yes, I know someone who did exactly that.)

Car manufacture in the 30's & 40's has little to do with modern car manufacture. Those were hand built cars put together by the dozen: no hint of "manufacturing" as we would know it.

It reminds me of when Longbridge closed its gates for the last time in 2005. A very sad day.

It reminds me of when Longbridge reopened in 2007 as an assembly plant for MG for the next decade. Stupid idea.

BMW should have bought Longbridge and Cowley as one, and then redeveloped the whole brand - even if it was moved to other sites. It's ridiculous that MINI has become a massive global brand while MG has become Chinese tat.

Frazer-Nash were the UK distributors for BMW in the 30's, and built tiny numbers of a variation of the 328i in the 40's & 50's

As AFN they became the main UK distributor for Porsche for a while and then just one of the UK Porsche dealers , from their base in Isleworth. I bought my 924 and 944 from them in the 80's.

I wondered if Fraser-Nash became AFN. Where the A come from though??

Curiously Archibald Frazer Nash had withdrawn from the business by the time it got into the whole BMW and Porsche thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom