Bristol Uni this Saturday - anywhere to park?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Going to have a look this Saturday with eldest who's considering it for History. Never been to the Uni, don't know Bristol at all.

The school suggests we use a Park & Ride that's 6+ miles & 1 hour by bus from the campus, which sounds like a PITA to me.

Anyone know if there's a place to park somewhere within easy walking distance?

Any Bristol tips appreciated.

TIA.

One Bristol tip.......

Do not get accommodation in the St Pauls area of the city:eek:

If your son likes to be surrounded by West Indian drug dealers and prostitutes then St Paul's is the right location.
Maybe there has been a big clean up of the area, but my sister studied teaching at Bristol Uni some years ago and had the misfortune to get accommodation in St Pauls.
The above was her experience of the place.

^ Doesn't make good reading does it?
I know I would be uneasy if my daughter was living in that area.
Hopefully someone living near Bristol can advise on decent locations to stay.

First year is on campus until they find their feet isn't it?

Bristol is a lovely city. Parking in Bristol is a PITA. Your best bet may well be the multi-storey at Berkeley Place - I have always managed to get in there and you are not under pressure to get back.

Suggest a wander down Park St and something to eat at the Mud Dock cafe - Mud Dock : Cafe : Philosophy - then walk over the bridge and along the floating harbour to the SS Great Britain. A bit further then back over another bridge and back up the hill to the car park. That should give you a pleasant taste of the city.

Good Luck

Jon

I think the History Dept is at BS8 1TB, sort of near the X roads of Tyndalls Park Rd & Woodland Rd.

I think they expecting us to traipse all over the place looking at accommodation, some of which is a "95 minute round trip" from the uni itself, which must place it in Reading, or maybe Newbury if they're talking about rush hour.

I think the History Dept is at BS8 1TB, sort of near the X roads of Tyndalls Park Rd & Woodland Rd.

I think they expecting us to traipse all over the place looking at accommodation, some of which is a "95 minute round trip" from the uni itself, which must place it in Reading, or maybe Newbury if they're talking about rush hour.

You may well have this already

http://www.bris.ac.uk/media-library/sites/maps/migrated/documents/precinct-key.pdf

As already mentioned the multi storey on Berkeley Place (called West End Car Park) is probably your best bet. It's not too far to walk from there, you'll probably wander past Browns which is a popular watering hole if you're in need of refreshments.

Parking in Clifton is a pain. I believe there is a direct bus service to Clifton from Long Ashton Park and Ride.

For where you are going the car park at Berkely Place and also Park Row are usable with a 15 to 30 minute walk.

There is on street parking, but plenty of competition for the spaces.

Thanks for the tips everyone, at the mo it's looking like Berkeley Place / West End Car Park is the best bet.

If your son likes to be surrounded by West Indian drug dealers and prostitutes then St Paul's is the right location.
Maybe there has been a big clean up of the area, but my sister studied teaching at Bristol Uni some years ago and had the misfortune to get accommodation in St Pauls.
The above was her experience of the place.

St Pauls is quite a big district. A friend of mine bought a house there after finishing uni and didn't really have any more problems than you get living in the middle of any large city. They have regenerated a lot of it now, bit of a trendy place to live these days like some of the London Boroughs.

The Uni is great but i was there quite a long time ago now. Graduated in 2000!!

The History department is basically where the main uni campus is located but one of the drawbacks is the halls of residence are mostly up over the top of the downs. Go straight up Whiteladies road, over the 'common' area at the top and you'll find them. Fortunately the buses are pretty cheap and regular in Bristol so a lot of the students use them. Outside of the first year you will be in student rents anyway which are all over Cotham, Redland, Clifton. Oh, and if you go to Clifton, be prepared that you will want to live there! It is great but pricey. I lived right over in St. Andrews in my first year, overlooking the park. Fair walk into uni so i wouldn't recommend but i was too tight to take the bus!

The idea above about heading down to the docks for the SS Great Britain is pretty good. I would make sure you take a ride up to the suspension bridge too. Very impressive - i could spend hours sitting up on the hill taking in the view.

Bristol has a really good laid back feeling which you need to experience. Great nightlife - particularly for students and just loads going on.

St Pauls is quite a big district. A friend of mine bought a house there after finishing uni and didn't really have any more problems than you get living in the middle of any large city. They have regenerated a lot of it now, bit of a trendy place to live these days like some of the London Boroughs.

Glad to hear that Matt. As I said in my post, my sister's experience of St Paul's was a while ago and places do change.

First, a huge thanks to everyone for their help, the Bristol visit was a great success.

We parked in the West car park after third time lucky & doing a little tour of the area trying to find the entrance. V. convenient for the Uni & cheap - 4 quid for nearly 4 hours.

The course seems to pretty much suit my daughter down to the ground, the school is lovely, the city is lovely, the people were lovely. It's on her short list.

The entry requirements are A*AA, which is higher than Oxbridge!

Monday week we're off to York so you may see another topic like this.

To finish off the saga.

Just back from Bristol's History Open Day for those in receipt of an offer of a place, my third visit to Bristol. We spent the day listening to talks from about 10 members of the faculty & Year 1, 2, & 3 students, touring 5 accommodation sites & having a wander around the campus & town.

I've visited more universities in the last 6 months than I've been to in my entire life, prior to this.

Daughter has decided Bristol is the one, is v. keen to go there & is picking it as her 1st choice tomorrow. She's so keen she is picking it over all the others, including a unconditional offer from Birmingham.

Thanks to all for their help on this thread & on my other Uni threads.

Fingers crossed. It's a great City, although now ten years since I lived there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom