Britain has worst quality of life in Europe, study says

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Time for all the gloom-mongers to wollow.

Britain has worst quality of life in Europe, study says - Telegraph

Please pick up your litter before leaving the country ;)

Personally if I 'had' to leave I'd chose somewhere like Finland to live. Nice friendly people and a beautiful country. Shame aboout the dark winters and expensive beer, but I think I could live with that.

hmmm, the sun is shining, it's warm, I've just taken the dogs for a walk, now before I start work (from home) in my south facing room which looks out over the English Channel I may just nip down to the cafe on the beach for breakfast - I could walk, but I'll probably decide to take the E55 and go for a bit of a drive first.

Yeah, my quality of life is crap

hmmm, the sun is shining, it's warm, I've just taken the dogs for a walk, now before I start work (from home) in my south facing room which looks out over the English Channel I may just nip down to the cafe on the beach for breakfast - I could walk, but I'll probably decide to take the E55 and go for a bit of a drive first.

Yeah, my quality of life is crap

Hmm, up at 5.50, in the office at 7.30, just taken a quick glance across to the (distant) windows and can just see, yes, there may be some sunshine out there. May if I'm lucky get 15 mins for lunch (in daylight, wahey!), then off to struggle with a train into C. London for another meeting, followed by getting home for about 7.30/8.00pm if I'm lucky. Do the same again tomorrow, and the day after and the day after that...

What do you do, Andy? Sounds great!!!

Strictly speaking not in Britain but, up at 8, left house at 9, parked on road outside office at 9-25 in time for clearway ending, sun shining, mortgage rate 1.07%, income up , time down ...could go on but only cloud in sight 3 daughters getting to the age of wanting to get married...

Yes, I was reading that whilst standing on a crammed commuter train surrounded by the silent & glum.

Then proceeded to the Hell on wheels that is the Waterloo & City line and thence to my particular Temple of Mammon at which management has decided that executions and floggings will continue until morale improves.

I find Gordon Brown is still a useless git and has decided to feel down the back of the sofa to dredge up a few quid and sell anything that is worth a bit. UK plc is utterly skint through overspending, we will all be bogged down paying it off for decades, unemployment is still going up, Post Office is about to go on strike, cost of fuel & energy could quadruple and pay as you drive has risen from the dead.

However, I woke this morning and found the sun shining and the sky blue. I have a warm Danish to go with my double expresso. So all is well.

If people want to bitch about their "quality of life" start by considering the lot of those in Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Sudan etc.

If people want to bitch about their "quality of life" start by considering the lot of those in Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Sudan etc.

I agree and so does Russel Howard (forward to 7:10)

[YOUTUBE]JHG4lor8jTM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Europe - it is about 50 countries. EU - it is 27 countries. This study is about 10 of the largest European countries, so I do not think - I can say "life in Britain is "worst"..."

I can compare life in few other countries - and yes, weather is a slightly worse than elsewhere, but it can be known as "other kind of weather" not worst... life expectancy - hard to say, but I think it depends on people themselves and I know few people what are not "one of them"... yes, I know many people what are "one of them", but you have a choice - you can choose what you want...

It rained most of the day here, but I loved it. Nice and warm - about 27 degrees with a lovely view and spent the whole day working with some great people.

just opened a Tiger beer............ :D

back to cold damp blighty on 30th

What do you do, Andy? Sounds great!!!

I build 3D models on my computer :)

The doom and gloom merchants annoy me because generally they are just taking the very worst of the figures and applying them to the whole country.

Yes, we are in debt but so is most of the rest of the world (not sure I understand that one as somebody must have all the moeny :). Selling off the family gold and silver is not just down to Gordon Brown and Co, I think for that one the blame can go back a lot further to a certain Iron Lady but let's not get into politics on here :)

This country, for the most part is a pretty good place to be. We have a good standard of living, we enjoy good health, most of us are working and most of us are considerably better off than our parents ever were and we are much better off than the folks we see coming in from other european countries to work here.

OK, it's not perfect here but then again, the other man's grass is not always greener

I went fishing today.

28 degrees, blue sky and all the tourists have gone home.

Tommorrow I'm going out on my new Honda crosser, up into the hills and through the forests.

Dunno what I will do on Wed.

Well the attempts by illegals to get in from Calais imply there are people literally voting with their feet to choose a life in the UK over continental Europe.

Thats because of MTV.

English is everyones second language. So they want to come to an English speaking country - of which the UK is closest.

We also have poor vetting of our benefits system so if you've a mind never to work again then the UK is *THE* place to be.

If you choose to work for a living, even if you manage to earn over the average wage, life is still pretty tough in the UK.

I love my country and i love Somerset,Its nice to go abroad but how many of us say ah! its great to be home after a flight or ferry crossing.Strange these studies, im never asked for my opinion.
Rolling hills of our countryside IMHO takes some beating.But its a free world and movement is so easy these days,perhaps thats why so many want to come here.:thumb:

My parents live in Dubai and their quality of life is far better than England in terms of what you earn and what things cost. The weather doesn't bother me in this country but we have to work the hardest in this country and don't really get much for our money if you know what I mean.

As for people at Calais fighting to get into England, it's not because they think it's the best place to be but it's the easiest country to gain aslyum once you're caught as an illegal.

If and when I move I think I'll go to somewhere I been before that I like, perhaps-

Sweden/Norway/Finland
Germany
Luxembourg
Croatia

All in all, Englands okay but there are better places to live IMO.

Time for all the gloom-mongers to wollow.

Britain has worst quality of life in Europe, study says - Telegraph

Please pick up your litter before leaving the country ;)

Personally if I 'had' to leave I'd chose somewhere like Finland to live. Nice friendly people and a beautiful country. Shame aboout the dark winters and expensive beer, but I think I could live with that.

If this is true how come all the refugees/asylum seekers risk their lives trying to get in? They should stay in France if its so crap here!;)

Last edited:
Yes, we are in debt but so is most of the rest of the world (not sure I understand that one as somebody must have all the moeny :). Selling off the family gold and silver is not just down to Gordon Brown and Co, I think for that one the blame can go back a lot further to a certain Iron Lady but let's not get into politics on here :)

Too late, you already did :)

FYI, Brown sold the gold at an all time low, between $256 & $296 per oz. It's now worth $1,057 per oz which is even more than commentators were referring to in the article of 2007 shown below

Brown offloaded the gold at a 20-year low in the market — now nicknamed the “Brown Bottom” by dealers. The 17 auctions achieved prices for the gold of between $256 and $296 an ounce, with an average of $275. Since then gold has risen sharply in value and stood yesterday at $685. This year, some top investment banks have predicted, it could even rise above the all-time high of $850.

The Pound has been devalued by more than 30% in just the last 12 months so the irony here is that even if you wanted to move elsewhere then you are effectively trapped by the exchange rate.

Anyway, as you said, lets not get into politics here :D

When the Sun stops shining and normal service resumes, which it will, let's see how the optimism and positives for Blighty begins to wain
:thumb:

Well the attempts by illegals to get in from Calais imply there are people literally voting with their feet to choose a life in the UK over continental Europe.

That's only because they love getting benefits, it was probably all the illegals that voted Britain as the worst place to stay!

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom