British F1 Grand Prix - Silverstone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Having been lucky enough only to have ever been to races outside the UK, I'm taking the plunge this year to go to Silverstone as I have some visiting US relatives who are into their motorsport.

I am after some help if anyone can suggest a good place to watch the race at the circuit - within a grandstand and where, general admission and wander? There seems to have generally been a lot of action going into Luffield on the new layout, or should we aim for a fast section like Copse or Becketts?

Also is it utter chaos to drive and park at the circuit these days? Is that the right answer or should I think of Park-and-ride, or coach. We are travelling from London and planning to do the Sunday only.

Thanks

Sean

When myself, a mate and his girlfriend went in 2000, so not sure if still relevant, but we stood on the inside of the first corner after the pits. There was plenty of room to move around and take a seat on the grass.

You got to experience the cars taking off and the vibration through the chest was incredible.

I guess things are different now with the different engines, but still a good place to be I thought.

I've been a few times to the F1 and the MotoGP.

Ive watched almost everywhere over the years, my favourite, and where I'm booked for this year, is the grandstand at Beckett's. You have a fast wiggle, followed by a very important fast left onto the Hangar Straight, a big TV, and then a second bite of the cherry each lap as you look over to see them come round the Loop and go off down the Wellington Straight.

I go for the full weekend, my wife can never know how much it really costs. If you can, take your own grub - when they say 'Golden Fish 'n Chips' you expect real gold at that price. To be fair, that'll be because Bernie charges them an arm and a leg to be there in the first place, selling to a captive market.

Getting in and out can be a bit of a nightmare unless you come and go at Obscure O'Clock.

ETA: I just noticed JohnEBoy's reply - they've moved the pits to the other side of the circuit since you went in 2000! What was the first corner then is Copse. AFIK you can still view from the inside there.

Last edited:
Getting in and out can be a bit of a nightmare unless you come and go at Obscure O'Clock.

The certainly hasn't changed then - the year we went it was in March and was the infamous mud-fest year which was in the news. I think I was actually in the news pushing my mates green E36 320i out of a muddy field although I haven't found the clip as yet!

ETA: I just noticed JohnEBoy's reply - they've moved the pits to the other side of the circuit since you went in 2000! What was the first corner then is Copse. AFIK you can still view from the inside there.

:fail

Lol, that 15 years has gone quick!

Slightly OT, but the Beeb reported today that the British Moto GP to be held on 30th Aug has no track! Donington have withdrawn their offer to run it this year while the new Celtic track in Wales is built. As usual, money is the root cause of this years problem.

I'm particularly annoyed as I have 3 tickets for Fri/Sat and Sun and a hotel booked for 2 nights. I suppose Silverstone will end up staging the race now.

BBC Sport - British MotoGP left without venue after Donington calls off 'deal'

Went to moto gp at silverstone last year.
Pre race day had silverstone parking with no probs.
Race day used park & ride from Towcester. Disappointed to find it used same road route as we had used the previous day and was no quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom