British GP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep that's what forums are all about mate.Sometimes my passion for Motorsport boils over when I see the stupid new rules. I really will be glad when Bernie's gone. I do love my WRC and BTCC though.

Yup, Bernie's run his course, time for a change.

For me, far to much of the "racing" is being decided away from the track and the drivers. Almost every race day we see the grid set out by time penalties. This results in a false grid where fast cars and fast drivers are pushed into false positions that do not reward skill or ambition.

Penalising Rosberg for a technical failure makes no sense. Is he to wreck the car? Fumble around? And to what benefit to anybody.

Drivers want to see racing on the track not in the office.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Did i hear Crofty right when he said the cars were going to be 3-4 seconds a lap quicker with next years car changes? Or was i dreaming:dk:

Tony.

Did i hear Crofty right when he said the cars were going to be 3-4 seconds a lap quicker with next years car changes? Or was i dreaming:dk:

Tony.

That's right Tony.

But Ant Davidson reckons that overtaking or following another car closely still won't be any easier. :doh:

Ant.

brucemillar said:
For me, far to much of the "racing" is being decided away from the track and the drivers. Almost every race day we see the grid set out by time penalties. This results in a false grid where fast cars and fast drivers are pushed into false positions that do not reward skill or ambition. Penalising Rosberg for a technical failure makes no sense. Is he to wreck the car? Fumble around? And to what benefit to anybody. Drivers want to see racing on the track not in the office. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK
IMO it was the Mercedes team that was penalised for the radio messages, a team that Rosberg is a part of and who played a significant part in the rule-breaking discussions. Hamilton recently had to "fumble around" in an unaided attempt to resolve an issue with settings, so why should Rosberg be any different?

Having grid positions influenced by penalties is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It can put better cars/drivers further back so we can then watch them making their way through the field instead of forming an orderly procession.

I am not and have not suggested the LH or NR should be treated differently. In Hamilton's case the team stated that it was not a safety issue. In Rosberg's case they say it was entirely safety and have lodged an appeal. Rather interestingly I note that Horner has said he supports Mercedes stance.

This will run and run (no pun intended). Force India are not happy that they did not warn their driver of a brake issue and he then crashed (In Baku)

I'm getting the feeling that much of the antipathy towards F1 today is brought about by objections to the vast number of rules. Indeed, with 143 pages of rules it's easy to understand the complaints. But for me, that's part of the attraction. Watching cars driven a thigh speed round and round in circles is fine, but the added dimension of possible penalties for infringement of a set of rules that apply to everyone makes for a more rewarding viewing experience. It's something extra to think about, to discuss, to analyse.

If rules are too difficult for audiences to cope with then they can go and watch simple sports like the one that's just finished completely taking over TV, a sport with just 17 simple laws that most people can cope with. Sports like rugby, golf and cricket are less popular, perhaps because the players have to abide by more rules and the spectators have to at least be aware of those rules to gain the full benefit of watching. The same goes for F1.

Inevitably of course there will be those who either can't be bothered to find out about the rules, or don't have the capability to understand them. Most will decide that they just want something simple and relaxing to watch, and do just that. Whilst others will chose to criticise the extent and content of the rules in an attempt to mask their own lack of understanding. After all, it's a lot easier to criticise than it is to think. And perhaps that's what I've just done!

Anyway, I love F1. My own racing experience never got past Formula Ford, but that did at least give me an appreciation of the consummate skills of every driver we see on the F1 tracks, no matter what car they're driving. Most of us wouldn't be able to get an F1 car to pull away from a start, let alone keep it on the track whilst digesting and analysing the masses of information coming at them from a plethora of sources at very high speed, and reacting to all that information safely and efficiently.

According to this it was a "part penalty"
British Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg penalised for radio message - BBC Sport

Race stewards found Mercedes were allowed to give Rosberg instructions on the settings he needed to resolve the problem. :thumb:

But they should not have responded to his subsequent question on whether he should then change gear so the car went straight through seventh gear.:fail

Rosberg's engineer Tony Ross replied to the German's information that he had a gearbox problem with the words: "Driver default 1-0-1, chassis default 0-1, chassis default 0-1. Avoid seventh gear, Nico, avoid seventh gear."

Rosberg then asked: "What does that mean, I have to shift through it?

Engineer: "Affirm Nico, you need to shift through it. Affirm, you need to shift through it."

The rule is evidently the pet project of FIA president Jean Todt and he has so far been deaf to questions about its suitability.

Rules are rules. But to be effective everybody needs to understand the rules. What we have today is a set of rules that are open to interpretation and challenge. Why else would it take those who enforce the rules 3 hours to interpret their own rules? A GP lasts two hours an accident takes split seconds.

Sport loses its attraction when the winner is not known at the end of the race.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Complete joke of a race Senna will be turning in his grave no need for that start, elf and safety gone mad and they wonder why there were empty seats and viewer numbers continue to decease. Complete sham.

Never a truer word spoken.

And not just Senna either I wager. I'd love to know what MS would say. Rain Meisters will be just memories at this rate.

Ayrton Senna - Donington '93
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gwPzrb6M7w

Michael Schumacher - Spain '96
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc787HaONwE

I was there in 93 at Donnington, best F1 GP I've ever been to anywhere in the world by a mile. Today's racing is a mere shadow of those glory days

According to this it was a "part penalty"
British Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg penalised for radio message - BBC Sport

Race stewards found Mercedes were allowed to give Rosberg instructions on the settings he needed to resolve the problem. :thumb:

But they should not have responded to his subsequent question on whether he should then change gear so the car went straight through seventh gear.:fail

Rosberg's engineer Tony Ross replied to the German's information that he had a gearbox problem with the words: "Driver default 1-0-1, chassis default 0-1, chassis default 0-1. Avoid seventh gear, Nico, avoid seventh gear."

Rosberg then asked: "What does that mean, I have to shift through it?

Engineer: "Affirm Nico, you need to shift through it. Affirm, you need to shift through it."

The rule is evidently the pet project of FIA president Jean Todt and he has so far been deaf to questions about its suitability.

Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to arrange some sort of simple code -

Rosberg: "What does that mean, I have to shift through it?

Engineer: "I'm not allowed to answer that." (means YES)
Engineer: "I can't answer that." (means NO)

Regarding the 'over cautious' safety car start, I think the death of Jules Bianchi played a large part in the decision.

We need more spectator participation in deciding F1 rules. I wonder if the fans could still influence the race stewards decisions ?

I was at the British GP in 1976 when they were not going top allow James Hunt to restart the race after the Ferrari's had caused a first lap pile up. The crowd didn't like it one bit. I was at Paddock hill bend and besides expressing themselves vocally some spectators started chucking beer bottles onto the track. It did the trick, Hunt was allowed to start and went on to win. He was disqualified later in the year of course thanks to Ferrari's protest but least we were happy at the time.

With Lauda's crash at the ring and the drama at the last race in Japan that was an F1 season to remember.

We need more spectator participation in deciding F1 rules. I wonder if the fans could still influence the race stewards decisions ?

I was at the British GP in 1976 when they were not going top allow James Hunt to restart the race after the Ferrari's had caused a first lap pile up. The crowd didn't like it one bit. I was at Paddock hill bend and besides expressing themselves vocally some spectators started chucking beer bottles onto the track. It did the trick, Hunt was allowed to start and went on to win. He was disqualified later in the year of course thanks to Ferrari's protest but least we were happy at the time.

With Lauda's crash at the ring and the drama at the last race in Japan that was an F1 season to remember.

Oh dear.

Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to arrange some sort of simple code -

Rosberg: "What does that mean, I have to shift through it?

Engineer: "I'm not allowed to answer that." (means YES)
Engineer: "I can't answer that." (means NO)
And therein lies the utter stupidity of the "no driver assistance over the radio" regulation. But bearing in mind who's pet project it is, don't bank on it changing anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom