British Grand Prix 2007

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackC55

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
E55K SL500 E250X2 Smart44 Brabus Track car E450Cabriolet X350 Pick up
Hello all,

This year It will be my 12th year in a row at the BGP. It started out with two of us going. This year it will be 15ish people.

It is a great weekend of beer, barbies and beer. I should be going on the Friday this year. If you have never been its always a good laugh and camping is a must.:D

I will probably drive the Caddy up there. Cant miss it. Black, smokey, rusty and slow.

Anyone from here going?

I'll probably be there.
Just finalising arrangements.

I'll be on Copse exit for the 3 days, dressed in orange overalls.:crazy:

Will be camping in one of the lorries, so there's a possibility of an MBClub drinking session:devil:

I will be in the marquee at the camsite opposite the main enterance from 7pm. There is a bar!

I used to go to SIlverstone and Spa regularly.

But that was when the price was reasonable ... I just can't justify it these days, I'm afraid.

Back in the 80s when the British Grand Prix went up and down hills (Brands Hatch) I used to go regularly. One year I went to qualifying and walked straight through security unchallenged and found myself behind the pit garages during qualifying! I went into the Ferrari garage where Stefan Johansson was just starting his Ferrari up to go out and qualify and Alboreto was getting out having set a time. I stayed a few minutes (unchallenged!) and then went out the back again only to be joined by Alboreto taking a breather. We sat on a wall chatting about how it was going before he went in for another go. To this day I cant believe how it happened.

Edit: Obviously these days you have to supply DNA before you actually get with a mile of the drivers!

Went to a few Britsh and Belgium GPs some years years ago and while it was a good event the prices were mad for such a short race. Went to Le Mans 6 times (about €35 for the whole weekend) and quite a few GT races, much better value for money for the amount of racing you can see (and the amount of beer you can drink).

I went into the Ferrari garage where Stefan Johansson was just starting his Ferrari up to go out and qualify and Alboreto was getting out having set a time. I stayed a few minutes (unchallenged!) and then went out the back again only to be joined by Alboreto taking a breather. We sat on a wall chatting about how it was going before he went in for another go. To this day I cant believe how it happened.

Edit: Obviously these days you have to supply DNA before you actually get with a mile of the drivers!

At a round of the European Le Mans series at Silverstone about 5 or 6 years some mates and I got invited into one of the pit garages by one of the mechanics, while there the machanic checked with his boss and invited me (I was the one with the camera) out into the pit lane for one of the fuel and driver change stops (had to stand well out of the way), ended up being one of Bob Waleks (sp) last races.

After the race we went to the golf club/hotel behind Silverstone and got bought drinks by the BMW mechanics (think the fact that my girlfriend at the time was a tall leggy blonde helped).

Nick

Back in the 80s ....

That sounds like it was around about the year 1982 B.B. - Before Bernie. All Grand Prix experiences can be split into BB and AB. According to the gospels, the coming of the Lord and (Pay)Master was at around that time. There was a blinding flash of light (the teeth) and a massive increase in security to avoid people enjoying themselves for anything less than a fortune.

You want to be careful posting stories like that on a public forum, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a call from one of Ecclestone's debt collectors tomorrow.:D

Philip

That sounds like it was around about the year 1982 B.B. - Before Bernie. All Grand Prix experiences can be split into BB and AB. According to the gospels, the coming of the Lord and (Pay)Master was at around that time. There was a blinding flash of light (the teeth) and a massive increase in security to avoid people enjoying themselves for anything less than a fortune.

You want to be careful posting stories like that on a public forum, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a call from one of Ecclestone's debt collectors tomorrow.:D

Philip

LOL:D

being that he was been in and around F1 since 1957, you really have to go a long way back to find BB.
Or do you mean before he started his FOCA rubbish wrangles with the FISA

It was in the early eighties that he galvanised all the teams into a cohesive group and co-ordinated race planning worldwide, packaged the whole shebang and started making a packet selling to the networks. In my opinion that is when Formula One really started to change (mostly for the better, except that the ticket prices and innacessability of the "grand prix world" are definite negatives).

How much is a grandstand ticket these days?

General admission to qualify for a family of four ticket is £139 plus £15 for the car park:(

I am going up friday afternoon.

Whats the weather going to be like?

Do we have any weather expets here?

So far rain [showers] expected on all three days.

If it's anything like the forecast for Friday at the Goodwood FoS - weather warnings, heavy rain/storms all day, you'll have bright sunshine and get sunburnt!! [Except for the 5 minutes before the AM Vantage got totalled at around 4pm]

this will be my first trip - going for the saturday only (got a good price on the tickets - big round number) - anyone want to meet and greet PM me and I'll PM back with my mobile number.

Will be in my MB if the forecast is rain, or in my mates MX5 if it's forecast for sun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom