British motorists face £100 fine for failing to wear fluorescent vests when driving i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What utter rubbish - the fine is for failing to have with you a reflective vest; that's a very long way from being fined for driving whilst not wearing one. Trust the Daily Mail not to let the facts interfere with a good story.

I carry a reflective vest with me at all times in this country, and abroad; it's common sense. I am not sure about France, but in Spain I think you have to put it on before you get out of the car; that means you have to carry it in the door pocket, or similar, and not in the boot.

I think the criticism is slightly unfair. Just look at the headlines of most tabloid newspapers and then think about this one.

Yes it is distorted, but here we are debating it and now we all know we have to take these jackets with us when we go abroad! Well done the Daily Mail, but as drivers the responsibility rests with us to know the traffic laws of any countries we intend to drive in?(question)

Crocked Cristiano Ronaldo proved he's still a fast mover - by partying with a stunning actress in his hotel room at 2am yesterday.
He spent the day flirting :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

regards
John

and check out the headline. "they regard british motorists as soft target."

As if it is not the same for every nationality.

Warning before you leave Dover for the continent. Not very well know introduced just this month.:eek:

How do you define "not very well known"?

It's been in all the papers and surely, before you travel to another country you take ten minutes out of your day to see if there are any laws that may affect you whilst you are staying there.

It seems to be a British thing of not bothering with silly little johnny foreigner rules but expecting every person coming here to abide by our laws :)

More tosh from the Daily Tosh.....:mad:

<<<<<<COPIED FROM THE ARTICLE
British motorists face £100 fine for failing to wear fluorescent vests when driving in France

By Daniel Boffey
Last updated at 10:17 PM on 12th July 2008For years they’ve regarded British motorists as a soft target, lurking outside Channel ports to catch cars drifting just a few kilometres an hour over the limit.
And now French police have another excuse to hammer British holidaymakers – a new law insisting all cars carry a luminous yellow safety vest for the driver to wear in an emergency.

COPIED FROM THE ARTICLE >>>>>

All utter tosh, as it manages to contradict itself within two paragraphs, and it isn't a new law. I've been taking one with me for years. And the compulsory spare pair of spectacles (if required for driving). Maybe they'll get around to printing that story in a couple of years time.:D

exactly .Total rubbish.As if belgian and dutch/german drivers are not required to carry it. Only british ones

And the compulsory spare pair of spectacles .......

FRENCH POLICE TARGET BLIND BRITISH DRIVERS!!!

'
How was I supposed to know,' says one jailed motorist, 'I didn't have my reading glasses on.'

In reality forcing British drivers to wear flouorescent vests would be a good idea. That way they could more easily detect the bigoted ones that insist it is their right to ignore any law they feel shouldn't apply to them, especially motoring ones.

Well done Daily Mail, as their headline may have scared a few of their readers into actually believing it's true. Obviously if they read the whole artical they will understand more, but I don't think readers bother doing that..

Last edited:
Just read some of the comments and you get an idea of the type of person that reads The Daily Mail, pathetic really:rolleyes:

Being a lazy bigot, I didn't know that there was a law requiring you to carry a high vis vest about on the continent - the last time I drove there was 3 years ago mind...

All I was aware of was carrying a spare bulb kit in Spain..

Will look into it.

Ade

British motorists face £100 fine for failing to wear fluorescent vests when driving in France

Translation: "All motorists, regardless of nationality, when driving in France, could face a fine of up to £100 for failing to carry a flourescent vest in the car for use in emergencies, e.g a breakdown on the hard shoulder etc. This is the same in Germany and Spain. NB you are not required to wear one whilst actually driving."

I'm really fed up with having the Daily Mail quoted at me every day on this forum, as if it is the fountain of all knowledge and truth :rolleyes:

Being a lazy bigot, I didn't know that there was a law requiring you to carry a high vis vest about on the continent - the last time I drove there was 3 years ago mind...

All I was aware of was carrying a spare bulb kit in Spain..

Will look into it.

Ade

better do your homework. Some you need a first aid kit, warning triangle and a spare set of glasses, if you use them and i think it is one vest /occupant, not just one for the car driver, but not too sure yet.

How will english coaches cope?

Last edited:
Just read some of the comments and you get an idea of the type of person that reads The Daily Mail, pathetic really:rolleyes:

Two, for starters.

My daughter is 18 and she told me she can't wait to, "get out of this mad house of a country of ours",will a Hi Viz vest stop you from getting stabbed or will it attract the stabbers ?

A well thought out comment. Relevance...**** all.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, Britain again bows to the EEC God again, I will not be going to France now..!

- JohnR,

Doing the French a favour. Shame really as it means we have to put up with this idiot for longer.:eek:

I'm really fed up with having the Daily Mail quoted at me every day on this forum, as if it is the fountain of all knowledge and truth :rolleyes:

Dave, any sane person reached that point months ago. Just relax and laugh at the stupidity of it. It's an adult comic, although I think Beano and Dandy were better, they were more believable.

Y'know what - gets a bit tiresome hearing about "Mail Readers" I read The Mail sometimes and I like to consider myself intelligent enough to seperate the bull from the news. I also use the BBC news site, read other papers including The Independant and The Telegraph plus listen to radio news across the various stations.

I like the Mail for some of the feature articles (was an interesting one last week about Afghanistan and this week about the British in Iraq) the crosswords, the TV section in the magazine and a VIEW of the news. Not Gospel!!

I am NOT defending the paper per se. I'm defending the right of anybody to read what the hell they want (I exclude the Daily Sport from this rule... :rolleyes: :crazy: )

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of Wise Men"

Last edited:
I am NOT defending the paper per se. I'm defending the right of anybody to read what the hell they want (I exclude the Daily Sport from this rule... :rolleyes: :crazy: )

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of Wise Men"

And don't forget the Mail provides ITVs teletext service.

Mike

Translation: "All motorists, regardless of nationality, when driving in France, could face a fine of up to £100 for failing to carry a flourescent vest in the car for use in emergencies, e.g a breakdown on the hard shoulder etc. This is the same in Germany and Spain. NB you are not required to wear one whilst actually driving."

Well done, what are you waiting for, butt them out of their jobs and do their jobs please, at least you improved something Britishness.:bannana:

better do your homework. Some you need a first aid kit, warning triangle and a spare set of glasses, if you use them and i think it is one vest /occupant, not just one for the car driver, but no too sure yet.

How will english coaches cope?

Wrong, you also need one for the passengers in Spain. This is new to me. Yet to learn more requirement in Germany and other Euro countries. Please tell me more, the last time I ventured there was in 1999.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom