British summer over yet? Tourist needs advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marvin16x

Car
1997 C280T
Hello everyone,

I was thinking about leaving Germany behind on Wednesday for another two- or three-week road trip around the UK but having checked the weather forecast earlier today I'm now kind of hesitant and indecisive as to whether I should stick to the plan and go or rather wait and see what happens.

"Low pressure in charge to start August", says this page:
Goodbye July, low pressure in charge to start August - Weather News - Netweather.tv

Doesn't sound to good, does it? I wanted to focus on being outside as much as possible; taking pictures, doing walks, riding my folding bike or reading books in nice places since I'll be on my own this time. It would be a pity though if I arrived in Dover and there was nothing but pouring rain for days or weeks. And it's the South (from Kent to Cornwall and then into Wales) I wanted to start with :crazy:

Do you have more insight than me about the weather and what's to come? Please share what you've got. :eek:
I'd also like to know what you guys would do in my position.
I suppose ferry prices are higher on weekends as well?

I basically have almost four weeks from now on to spend on travels but I really don't fancy staying here any longer. And please don't suggest going to France, Italy or Spain instead. I ain't interested :(

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers
Marvin

Why not spend a bit of time around Kent and Sussex, have a bit of a break in London see the sites, then head out North East to Suffolk and Norfolk, The further west you go the more rain you'll get, Wales can be great but is usually cooler and wetter, I was in Cornwall in July a few years ago it was so drizzly, foggy,and cold, it could have been February, when the weather picks up as it should head South West. Have a good one.

It's still nice in Devon!

Thing is...the British forecast is so unreliable we've come to ignore it completely and just take what we get. It's usually full of 'but this' and 'maybe that'.

"Wednesday will see showers mostly affecting northern and particularly northwestern regions as the low approaches, but by Thursday all parts will be at risk of some heavy downpours, with some potentially merging into longer spells of rain. Friday keeps the showery theme going as well, but as the low moves will have moved away into the North Sea by this point, it will have introduced fresher conditions once again.

Into the weekend, it's a slightly tricky call regarding the specifics, as we'll have high pressure trying to ridge close to the south of the country, but low pressure continuing to dominate further north. So southern parts likely to see the best of any drier, warmer weather, with the question mark being just how much of an influence the high can be, as the over-riding pattern will be an unsettled one.

It's what you get if you come to the UK Marvin. It can be raining in one place and dry and sunny 20miles away. Then change completely the other way in the space of an hour.

so ist das Leben ;):D

Last edited:
"No bad weather, just wrong clothes"...

The 'Big Yin'

Thanks guys.

I know what you mean, Derek. I don't even care about the weather forecast over here. But I thought getting an impression of what the weather is like in the UK at present was a reasonable thing to do. We've been quite lucky on our trips in 2013 and 2015 so I kind of expected it to be worse (or more like standard) this time.

"No bad weather, just wrong clothes"...
If only that applied to someone travelling and living in his car as well ... Once the cabin is cold and wet, it will be cold and wet for quite a bit :fail
And I'm actually developing a cold myself right now, so that whole thing might delay by a few days :dk:

Maybe I should just go south like a normal person would do :confused:

It's not bad 'up north' but, as you will know, August weather can be very unpredictable with thunder showers developing at any time. As has been said, it's just a matter of being prepared.

Get yourself up to Pendle witch country, Pendle Hill looks incredible in the gloom. If it's raining console yourself with epic sausages from the Clitheroe sausage shop, washed down with wine from the shop built into the hillside itself.

Summer hasn't arrived yet in the glorious Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Early September usually sees good weather in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom