British superbikes Union Jack upside down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I am a sports fanatic and enjoy watching most competitive events, I am also a Royalist and was appalled to see the Union Jack being flown upside down at the presentation!!!!

A British event, at a British circuit and the incompetent nincompoops cannot even hoist a Union Jack properly. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

John the annoyed

Only slightly more annoying than somebody referring to the Union Flag as a jack when it's flown from anywhere other than the jack staff of one of Her Majesty's ships... :devil:

Impressed or what?

I sent an e-mail to the British Superbikes Organisation and don't forget today is Sunday but I have already received a reply:

Its Flying on a Mallory park building and nothing to do with the podium.

I have had a rant to the circuit manager.

I sent the e-mail at 1448hrs and received this reply at 1615hrs.

The camera shot made it appear to be coming from the podium, but I fully accept what this person has said.

I will now send off an e-mail to Mallory Park.

I dread to think what my old sergeant would have made of anyone that even attempted to fly the Union Jack upside down, it would not have been nice and it would have involved violence!!! :mad: :devil: :devil: :D

Oh well a quick e-mail to Mallory Park

Regards
John

Of course I was curious so found this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Union_flag.jpg

Its upside down:(:eek:
Yup and here's a copy of the post I have just sent to Mallory Park:

Dear sir,
This week-end I watched the latest round of the British Super bike competition and was appalled to see our National flag being flown upside down!

Why am I complaining?

To deliberately fly the flag upside down is a signal indicating a situation of 'DISTRESS'. It is also "lese Majeste" (which means: insulting the Crown), and is theoretically still a crime in the UK and its commonwealth!

Here is a link for you to pass on to all your staff who should have already been made aware of the correct way to fly this flag,

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/geography/unionjack7.html

I don't necessarily blame the person that hoisted this flag. I blame those in charge that failed to notice this huge insult! This competition receives World-wide coverage and your organisation has publicly insulted the Crown! Thankfully heads will no longer be displayed outside the Tower of London but perhaps a public apology should be made in our UK motor cycle magazines/

Yours truly
Mr John S
Torquay

Is this not political?
????????

What on earth are you on about? Why are you trying to stir things?

Hi Dieselman,
The Union Jack I saw at Mallory Park was definitely being flown upside down. I am NOT saying I think it was upside down, I am saying it was being flown upside down and that is a very big no, no.

It is also NOT political :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (that's not meant for you;) )

Regards
John

Come on John, is it really necessary to accuse these people of "insulting the crown".
I don't think the majority of people would have noticed it, and it would have just been nice to make them aware - discretely, of their mistake.

I hope you don't cause any "major disasters" inadvertently, might bring the whole monarchy down :rolleyes:

????????

What on earth are you on about? Why are you trying to stir things?

Hi Dieselman,
The Union Jack I saw at Mallory Park was definitely being flown upside down. I am NOT saying I think it was upside down, I am saying it was being flown upside down and that is a very big no, no.

It is also NOT political :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (that's not meant for you;) )

Regards
John

i am not trying to stir things up. i do have a lot to say about the union jack but i want to know what to say and not to say as you have mentioned royalist, crown, her majesty,commonwealth and some people have got stick just for mentioning labour.
can't be bothered anyway.
seems some people do not regard the rules for themselves only for others

Last edited:
Hi Dieselman,

Yep, I know. Just a statement of fact that the flag is upside down...

I was referring to Franks wikki link, though maybe he wasn't. I've not seen th eSuperbikes one..

Come on John, is it really necessary to accuse these people of "insulting the crown".
I don't think the majority of people would have noticed it, and it would have just been nice to make them aware - discretely, of their mistake.

I hope you don't cause any "major disasters" inadvertently, might bring the whole monarchy down :rolleyes:
We as individuals might inadvertently fly a flag upside down, but this is a National meeting and this flag is being filmed and is being shown World-wide.

It is all about tradition, respect and standards. I accept we all have different standards and I respect what your saying but totally disagree with you. This is a not a random flag being flown by a private individual, this is at an event where the National anthem is being played and folks are standing to attention facing ...... an inverted Union Jack! The management of BSB are also 'Not amused' and I am not amused. Folks that don't care have the right not to care, just like I have the right to complain at this insult. How I wish we all took a pride in our beautiful country.

John

We as individuals might inadvertently fly a flag upside down, but this is a National meeting and this flag is being filmed and is being shown World-wide.

This is a not a random flag being flown by a private individual, this is at an event where the National anthem is being played and folks are standing to attention facing ...... an inverted Union Jack!

Was everybody doing handstands..??

Maybe you're watching the version being filmed for Oz..

Was everybody doing handstands..??

Maybe you're watching the version being filmed for Oz..
:D :D Thankfully the boss of BSB has contacted me and also expressed his annoyance. ;)

I suppose with some flags it doesn't matter what way up they are: :devil: ;)
q-icon-scottish-flag-3.jpg

I've just looked at the link Frank posted and that is a very silly example and I'm NOT criticising Frank for posting it, but that flag appears to have twisted several times and should have been sorted out!

Last edited:

It is all about tradition, respect and standards. I accept we all have different standards and I respect what your saying but totally disagree with you. This is a not a random flag being flown by a private individual, this is at an event where the National anthem is being played and folks are standing to attention facing ...... an inverted Union Jack! The management of BSB are also 'Not amused' and I am not amused. Folks that don't care have the right not to care, just like I have the right to complain at this insult. How I wish we all took a pride in our beautiful country.

John

I find it insulting that you assume I don't take pride in this country because I don't know (or care) what way the flag is flown.
Why can't we just accept people making mistakes or not being educated enough, instead of assuming them to be traitors etc.
There is a big difference in saying you respect someone's opinion and actually making that felt.

Karl

I find it insulting that you assume I don't take pride in this country because I don't know (or care) what way the flag is flown.
Why can't we just accept people making mistakes or not being educated enough, instead of assuming them to be traitors etc.
There is a big difference in saying you respect someone's opinion and actually making that felt.

Karl
Hi Karl,
At no time have I said you don't care??

Where on earth do I say anyone is a traitor?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you read the post I sent to Mallory park you will see I made it perfectly clear I do not necessarily blame the person that hoisted this flag! If you failed to see that then here you go:

Me said:
I don't necessarily blame the person that hoisted this flag. I blame those in charge that failed to notice this huge insult!l
I will not apologise for what I have wrote as I feel you are reading words that are simply not there.

Like I said before,
I am not bothered about whether you feel this is a significant issue or not, all I am saying is that I am.

This flag has just been shown once more. The whole screen was filled by it, the competitors stood to attention whilst the National Anthem was being played and we are all looking at a flag that is upside down and I will repeat again what I said to the organisers:

Me said:
I don't necessarily blame the person that hoisted this flag. I blame those in charge that failed to notice this huge insult!l

John

A flag should always be raised to the top of the mast then lowered to half mast (the width of the flag below the top of the pole or to 2/3rds the height of the mast).

For all those who treat such things as trivial, spare a thought for all those who have died so we can fly our national flags.

Yawn

And as pointed out before, UNION FLAG not UNION JACK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom