British superbikes Union Jack upside down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thankfully heads will no longer be displayed outside the Tower of London

Did you really put that on your email.???:D

The flag is the same whichever side you look at. the broader white stripe is always nearest the hoist.

I trust you mean the UPPER broader white stripes?

Frank expected them to be on the left, irrespective. ;)

Did you really put that on your email.???:D
You know me! :devil: ;)

A spade is not a shovel, nor is it a manual scoop designed to excavate soil :D :devil: It's a blooming spade which can dig 'oles

Just imagine if that happened at the Olympics?? It would then very rapidly become political :D :devil: :devil:

Regards
John

I trust you mean the UPPER broader white stripes?

Frank expected them to be on the left, irrespective. ;)

I didn't expect them to be anywhere in particular. This morning I didn't even know it could be flown upside down.

Sounds like a design flaw to me.:devil:

John, if I was you I would be very pleased to obviously have so little of any actual substance to worry about :D

Yawn

And as pointed out before, UNION FLAG not UNION JACK
I only served twelve years in the Royal Navy\Royal Marines and during all that time we referred to it as the Union Jack, but I am no bunting and if it is called the Union flag then so be it (note how I don't argue)

What I do know is that this flag is treated with respect and reverence.

Encyclopedia Britannica
The Union Jack is the most important of all British flags and is flown by representatives of the United Kingdom[ all the world over. In certain authorized military, naval, royal, and other uses, the Union Jack may be incorporated into another flag. For example, it forms the canton of both the British Blue Ensign and the British Red Ensign. It is part of the flags of such Commonwealth nations

Regards
John

Yawn

And as pointed out before, UNION FLAG not UNION JACK

'Union Jack' was officially acknowledged as an alternative name for the Union Flag by the Admiralty and Parliament in the early 20th century. The term 'jack' refers to the flag that is flown from the bowsprit of a ship, often denoting nationality.
"Union Flag," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2005
uk.encarta.msn.com © 1997-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Someone mentioning "Union Flag" could be understood to be referring to a trade union flag, Union Jack leaves no doubt as to which flag is being refered to.

Inserting "YAWN" was not very polite by the way.

Time to have our own Parliament in England & fly the Flag of St.George. :devil:

The National Flag of England, rather than that of the Union.With the advent of Assemblies & " Governments" not of Westminster, mayhap the only Colours to be flown in England.:D

Reserve the use of the Union Flag until when required by the presence of the Monarch etc?:eek:

The National Flag of England, rather than that of the Union.With the advent of Assemblies & " Governments" not of Westminster, mayhap the only Colours to be flown in England.:D

Reserve the use of the Union Flag until when required by the presence of the Monarch etc?:eek:
We have both and I suppose we fly the Union Jack for Royal occasions and the National flag for just that.... 'National' occasions. :eek: :eek: ;)

What I find interesting is that with older style flags and flag poles it is impossible\difficult to fly these flags the wrong way round. They were made to prevent this type of very visual insult and perhaps this should be reviewed and if they don't have it already, then perhaps modern flags should have the top and bottom clearly marked?

I do find it very interesting to see that some folks simply don't care and I'm sure that a large number of people might adopt that attitude?

Regards
John

then perhaps modern flags should have the top and bottom clearly marked?

Perhaps "This way up" and a big arrow printed on them?:D

I do find it very interesting to see that some folks simply don't care and I'm sure that a large number of people might adopt that attitude?

We're a nation consumed by apathy, they could have set fire to one and not that many people would care.

I have just had a reply from the management at Mallory Park:

Thank you for your email. Hopefully you will get an apology from MSV, whose staff actually hoisted the flag. Mallory Park office staff tried to get this rectified immediately after the first race, but it was obviously not done.

Regards

Looks to me like everyone will blame everyone else until it reaches the bottom rung of the pecking order. :devil: ;)

Regards
John

Agree with your comments but alternatively, as we are now part of Europe and as our passports state ' european community' perhaps we should now adopt the european flag but maintain the royal standard for whenever the monarch of the day happens to be in residence.

Weird!!

I have now got a second e-mail from the same person??

We in the office were as appalled as you, and we do know which way up the flag should go - but obviously others either don't know or don't care!

Regards

I have just had a reply from the management at Mallory Park:

Thank you for your email. Hopefully you will get an apology from MSV, whose staff actually hoisted the flag. Mallory Park office staff tried to get this rectified immediately after the first race, but it was obviously not done.

Regards

Looks to me like everyone will blame everyone else until it reaches the bottom rung of the pecking order. :devil: ;)

Regards
John

I am surprised they didn't tell you to get a life :D did you enjoy the race coverage?

Pride in ones heritage sinks ever lower, swiftly followed by respect. Oh! the joys of a materialistic society.

Apparently the Sun (don't ask) today had a letter crying out that the picture of some tennis player showed him with a Union Flag draped across his shoulders in the upside down position.

It must be an epidemic.

Apparently the Sun (don't ask) today had a letter crying out that the picture of some tennis player showed him with a Union Flag draped across his shoulders in the upside down position.

It must be an epidemic.
:D :D Now even I think that is crazy ;)

Go to a football game abroad where an English team is playing and the chances are we will see dozens of Union Jacks, White Ensigns, the Flag of St George, all upside down as they are draped across balconies! So what? Gp riders will drape themselves in their National flags if they are lucky enough to win a race and I say power to their elbow, BUT.........

When a National Anthem is played and spectators stand to attention facing that nation's flag, then if that flag is upside down.......... That is an insult.

A few years ago Michael Schumacher won one of his many, many Grand Prix. During the winner's ceremony Schumacher started to 'conduct' his mechanics whilst they were singing to the Italian National Anthem that was being played. The Italian Government made an official complaint to Ferrari that schumacher was showing contempt by not taking off his hat and standing still whilst the Italian National Anthem was being played. That was the last time schumacher moved whilst the anthem was being played.

I fully accept some of our members think it is a trivial issue, I respect their opinion and would like to think they would respect mine? What happened on Sunday was wrong, it was avoidable, it should not have happened and hopefully it will not happen again.

As an aside, every morning and evening all Military establishments should raise and lower their National flags. If these flags were allowed to drape or drag on the ground, then the person responsible would be disciplined. I have NEVER heard of anyone EVER hoisting a flag that is upside down!! It is something that would be totally unacceptable. That is not me, the old fuddy duddy speaking. It is any and every service person. We are all extremely loyal to our great nation and its flag; BUT the Sun is WRONG :devil: ;)

Regards
John

'Union Jack' was officially acknowledged as an alternative name for the Union Flag by the Admiralty and Parliament in the early 20th century. The term 'jack' refers to the flag that is flown from the bowsprit of a ship, often denoting nationality.
"Union Flag," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2005
uk.encarta.msn.com © 1997-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Someone mentioning "Union Flag" could be understood to be referring to a trade union flag, Union Jack leaves no doubt as to which flag is being refered to.

Inserting "YAWN" was not very polite by the way.

I inserted "yawn" because I thought the thread was well, boring. I know the Union Flag should be flown the correct way, but a mistake by someone on minimum wage (there's me asuming again!) is not the be all and end all. There are more important issues in the world, aren't there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom