British superbikes Union Jack upside down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I inserted "yawn" because I thought the thread was well, boring. I know the Union Flag should be flown the correct way, but a mistake by someone on minimum wage (there's me asuming again!) is not the be all and end all. There are more important issues in the world, aren't there?

Firstly, if you thought the thread was boring why did you not just pass along. I find many posts boring to me, but I do respect others may have a different outlook.

Secondly, there a many more impotant issues in the world than Mercedes vehicles but we are all entitled to relax and enjoy live now and then.

To know if a subject is boring, one has to read it! I have read a lot of "boring" threads without commenting. This thread has become a little OTT to say the least.
OK, have a quiet moan, but to go to those lenghts..........................

I have just had a reply from the management at Mallory Park:

Thank you for your email. Hopefully you will get an apology from MSV, whose staff actually hoisted the flag. Mallory Park office staff tried to get this rectified immediately after the first race, but it was obviously not done.

Regards

Looks to me like everyone will blame everyone else until it reaches the bottom rung of the pecking order. :devil: ;)

Regards
John
John, My old RSM used to have a saying! Sh*t rolls down hill! I know of a young squadie who did the same thing at the main flag pole that's in the main parade square in Aldershot barracks (some may know of the one I mean). The RSM saw it and the air was blue for about 20 minuets. The chap responsable was stood at the flag pole all day and then spent 24 hours in the Guard house. Apparently the Union Flag flown upside down was used as a distress signal???

John, My old RSM used to have a saying! Sh*t rolls down hill! I know of a young squadie who did the same thing at the main flag pole that's in the main parade square in Aldershot barracks (some may know of the one I mean). The RSM saw it and the air was blue for about 20 minuets. The chap responsable was stood at the flag pole all day and then spent 24 hours in the Guard house. Apparently the Union Flag flown upside down was used as a distress signal???
:D :D I bet he never done it again.:devil:

What would your Sergeant Major have done to any ignorant person that dared to yawn in his presence?? :devil: :devil: ;)

Your spot on about the distress comment but I for one would not be holding my breath for the cavalry to arrive :)

That squaddie must have made a real effort to do what he did as the flag has a wooden toggle at its head and a loop at the base. The toggle connects to a loop on the mast and like wise the loop coonects to a toggle at its base.

Your post also highlights my post about how I would not blame the 'squaddie'. For Mallory Park, this was the biggest event of the year; they organisers would have NO idea on who would win any race, or their nationality?? There would be someone from senior management tasked with ensuring they had EVERY anthem, and EVERY national flag for every competitor that was likely to win a race. This manager would be responsible for ensuring the correct anthem would be played in conjunction with the correct national flag. Likewise this senior manager would ensure the flag was displayed correctly.

Those that don't give a jot say more about thermselves than they do about the rights and wrongs regarding this issue.

My guess is some unfortunate low paid employee will as usual take the blame, but to me the 'Sergeant Major' is the guilty party.

oldcro said:
Pride in ones heritage sinks ever lower, swiftly followed by respect. Oh! the joys of a materialistic society.
On the radio this morning I heard a news report regarding the theft of a brass plaque from a War Memerial in Plymouth. The value of the 'scrap' metal is approximately £200.

The cost to replace this plaque.......... £2000

oldcro said:
Pride in ones heritage sinks ever lower, swiftly followed by respect. Oh! the joys of a materialistic society.

I for one do not think we are making too much of this.
Imagine the outcry if this had happenned at the Indy 500
flag.gif

<Edit> Or the olympics!! </Edit>

Americans are obsessed with their stripy flag.

The sheer number of them all over the place reminds me of footage of WW2 Germany with flags everywhere...

Last edited:

<Edit> Or the olympics!! </Edit>
I hate to say it but an awful lot of our American friends might even take offence at this image?

An excellent point and I totally agree with you, but I also accept that others think this thread petty. To me it is about standards and this country has won a gold medal in 'lowering of standards' ;)

I have watched several documentaries were youths have volunteered to undergo National type service training. These youths were all reprobates that had developed attitudes, some had criminal records, some were just plain lazy, lethargic, or bullies. After a few days the wheat was very quickly highlighted and after throwing toys out of prams, crying, throwing tantrums, they would either run away, or quit. The rest stuck at this training and as the weeks went by these people changed. They changed for the better (better for them) They started bonding, they started acting as a team, they started to respect each other, they started to even respect authority!!! Not only that they became better individuals.
They even held a tea party for the local Woman's Institute!!! Roughy, toughy club bouncers, drug dealers, thieves. They had changed and become a very nice, very smart group of young men (relatively smart in their army uniforms) and guess what. They would stand to attention each morning as the Union Jack was raised.

I also believe it wrong to criticise those that take a pride in their country AND its flag.

Don't forget we have some very nice American members of this forum.

Last edited:
Interesting point, John, and I sencerely mean no disrespect to our American friends.

Interesting point, John, and I sencerely mean no disrespect to our American friends.
Hi Ted,
Your post was very valid and my comments were not aimed in your direction.

We have a number of US members that may or may not take a pride in their flag, I just don't want them to think that we all have the same opinions as those that perhaps are 'less enthusiastic:eek: ;)

Your post was extremely relevant and also very powerful at putting my point.

I respect you for what you did and said.

Yours sincerely
John

They even held a tea party for the local Woman's Institute!!! Roughy, toughy club bouncers, drug dealers, thieves. They had changed and become a very nice, very smart group of young men (relatively smart in their army uniforms) and guess what. They would stand to attention each morning as the Union Jack was raised.

I enjoyed watching these programmes too John , ' Bad Lads Army ' with Corporal Nyokas .... now he was a scary man ...

However i couldn't help but feel that the only reason they were so well behaved and polite was because there was some terrifying military squad stood just off camera armed with cattle prods .....

I enjoyed watching these programmes too John , ' Bad Lads Army ' with Corporal Nyokas .... now he was a scary man ...

However i couldn't help but feel that the only reason they were so well behaved and polite was because there was some terrifying military squad stood just off camera armed with cattle prods .....
:devil: :D :D I think the bottom line was these recruits knew how far they could push and the instructors knew how far they could go.

In reality compared to yester-year those recruits had it REALLY soft when we went through training I can NEVER recall anyone EVER answering back any NCO twice!! :devil: ;)

They were certainly entertaining programs and I strongly believe the recruits that managed to complete the training came out of it better people. What a shame they could not remain together and improve their lives.

Nyokas was your typical instructor ;)

Regards
John

Yes, let's put some guns in to their hands, train them to kill foreigners (or get killed in the process)... That'll turn them into well-adjusted, valuable members of society :confused:

It worked in reality TV, so why not in real life.

Yes, let's put some guns in to their hands, train them to kill foreigners (or get killed in the process)... That'll turn them into well-adjusted, valuable members of society :confused:

I find it so sad that some folks always try to find fault, or look for problems.

What we saw were youths that had absolutely NO respect for anyone, no respect for property and no interest in respectable behaviour.

These youth were 'encouraged' to behave, they started taking a pride in themselves, they started to work as a team, they started to look after themselves, their kit, their enviroment and their property. They learned manners, they learned how to benave and not only did they start to treat others with respect........

They earned respect. They changed, they changed for the better and yes they started to become:

That'll turn them into well-adjusted, valuable members of society :confused:

well adjusted valuable members of society.

Apathy just about sums up some folks attitudes.

John

My bit.
Daughter No1 was wayward as a teenager. She brought me to the edge of despair and put serious strain on my marriage.
Sometimes you get to the point where you really don't know which way to turn - am I being too strict?, is my wife being too lenient? What do you do when all you want is what is best fot her, and for her to be happy.
To cut a (very) long story short we managed to persuade her to join the Navy. - After eight weeks at HMS Raleigh what a transformation!
Personally, I don't think that she needed the discipline per se - I think that she actually needed the levels of discipline imposed on her.
Now she has turned into a great young woman who I am massively proud of.
She is patriotic, and works with a fantastic group of colleagues who I consider myself fortunate to know.
Now I don't attribute this ALL to the Navy, - I believe that she always had it in her, but the Navy gave her the support to help her through her difficult years.

"That'll turn them into well-adjusted, valuable members of society"

Well I'm proud to say it certainly worked with her.

And what does she do in the Navy? Well she's an AEM (WAEMs no more) - that means she is an aircraft engineer - previously having worked on helicopters and Harriers - she's currently training to get a degree.
Pretty sure she wouldn't have managed THAT had she not joined up.

It's not all work though - she 'directed' and appears in this short snippet (no she's not the specky one)

P.S. I was also fortunate enough to work closely with the RAF a few years ago, putting in computer systems at Deci (Sardinia) Saxa Vord, Fylingdales, Conningsby etc etc.
I hate the phrase, but they were 'diamonds'. Every one of them.

Last edited:
Well I'm proud to say it certainly worked with her.
I can feel how proud you are of someone who is a credit to herself and her parents.

BUT

Did she turn into this??

Strangely enough she has had firearms training, and doesn;t want to go and kill Johnny Foreigner.

One other little anecdote.
I called her on September 11th 2001 to check that all was well. While I was talking to her I heard a call come over the Tannoy explaining that many flights were being diverted to her base. I recall the guy on the tannoy saying words to the effect that these were civilians from many countries, and were likely to be upset and traumatised, and were to be made as comfortable as possible.
It brought it home to me the reality, and still sends a chill down my spine.

I don;t remember her shooting any of them though.

We're a nation consumed by apathy, they could have set fire to one and not that many people would care.

Isn't it a bit ridiculous to suggest that someone who made a mistake that has absolutely no affect on life whatsoever is the same as someone who purposefully sets fire to a flag?

If you ask me we are a nation consumed by wingers who label people unnecessarily and cannot accept that mistakes happen. Do you never make any Nick?

Isn't it a bit ridiculous to suggest that someone who made a mistake that has absolutely no affect on life whatsoever is the same as someone who purposefully sets fire to a flag?

If you ask me we are a nation consumed by wingers who label people unnecessarily and cannot accept that mistakes happen. Do you never make any Nick?

And woe betide those who question the holier than thou brigade

The only people not to make mistakes are the poeple who have never done 'owt
The wise folks among us will learn from their mistakes and not make them again
This is not a monor mistake and if you had properly read this thread you would perhaps accept that?

Within minutes of complaining, I received a very nice response from the seniotr management of the competition.
I sent an e-mail to the British Superbikes Organisation and don't forget today is Sunday but I have already received a reply:

Its Flying on a Mallory park building and nothing to do with the podium.

I have had a rant to the circuit manager.
The circuit manager subsequently contacted me and stated :
Thank you for your email. Hopefully you will get an apology from MSV, whose staff actually hoisted the flag. Mallory Park office staff tried to get this rectified immediately after the first race, but it was obviously not done.
Regards
Looks to me like everyone will blame everyone else until it reaches the bottom rung of the pecking order.

Regards
John

Here is a second e-mail I received from the management at Mallory Park which was unsolicited

We in the office were as appalled as you, and we do know which way up the flag should go - but obviously others either don't know or don't care!
Regards

Now contrary to what some folks are suggesting (they are talking without having any knowledge of the facts)

My complaint is not against the nincompoop that hoisted the flag! My complaint is against the incompetent management that would have been responsible for the correct protocols to be followed for whatever nationality the person was who was presented with the winners trophy. How many times have I been accused of blaming the flag puller upper??
I don't necessarily blame the person that hoisted this flag. I blame those in charge that failed to notice this huge insult! This competition receives World-wide coverage and your organisation has publicly insulted the Crown!
If you read the post I sent to Mallory park you will see I made it perfectly clear I do not necessarily blame the person that hoisted this flag! If you failed to see that then here you go:
What made me really smile and it speaks volumes about what we ex-sdervice personnel might think about this act is the response I got from this message. It still makes me smile as I can very easily picture the scene. Here is my post and the response to it:
As an aside, every morning and evening all Military establishments should raise and lower their National flags. If these flags were allowed to drape or drag on the ground, then the person responsible would be disciplined. I have NEVER heard of anyone EVER hoisting a flag that is upside down!! It is something that would be totally unacceptable. That is not me, the old fuddy duddy speaking. It is any and every service person. We are all extremely loyal to our great nation and its flag; BUT the Sun is WRONG

I can readily picture this scene and I bet the squaddie learnt a very quick lesson in the right way to hoist a flag!

Before we loose track and get back to accusing me of blaming the flag puller upper here was my next post!

My guess is some unfortunate low paid employee will as usual take the blame, but to me the 'Sergeant Major' is the guilty party.

My own believes are that if we settle for second best, then we should not be surprised when we fail to achieve or aspire to greater and better things. Is hoisting a Union Jack upside down the end of the World? Of course not. Is it acceptable? NO, not now, not tomorrow, not next week, not never. Should we sit back and fail to correct things that are very easily correctable? Apathy would dictate we should not. I say yes. If something is easily put right then we should encourage those that have made the error to correct it.

What happened on Sunday is a major no, no. I don’t blame the employee that made the error, but quite clearly someone was informed of this mistake. They were not told by one person, they were told by numerous people. The people that told them to correct the error were not a bloke on t’Internet. They were senior managers. A conscious decision was made to leave the flag upside down and to me that demands a response!

Apathy might rule the day, but not in my camp. I have spent my whole life making mistakes, but hopefully I have learnt from them??? A fool or ex employee will say so what!!!

s_skull-and-cross-bones.jpg

Whewwww
Rant over M’lord

Have a nice day
John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom