British superbikes Union Jack upside down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not bad over there ...

Someone will be along soon no doubt to say ' Who cares what flag you fly on your boat !! ' ;)

If you ask me we are a nation consumed by wingers who label people unnecessarily and cannot accept that mistakes happen.
Hmmmmmm... how do you explain "Friendly Fire"?(This is not a political statement, just a statement of fact) So there is a British soldier lying on a stretcher with his bo**ox blown off waiting to be casevaced, but can take solace in knowing that his mates did it to him! Would you say this was an acceptable mistake? Or would it be something to winge about?;)

Hmmmmmm... how do you explain "Friendly Fire"?(This is not a political statement, just a statement of fact) So there is a British soldier lying on a stretcher with his bo**ox blown off waiting to be casevaced, but can take solace in knowing that his mates did it to him! Would you say this was an acceptable mistake? Or would it be something to winge about?;)

Morally there is of course justified critisicm to be levied but would the official response to such critisicm be not an acceptable mistake but rather an unfortunate mistake ( and would there be some form of unofficial ' action ' against those who caused the incident ) ?

I can recall inquiries into such incidents but do not know the general outcome.

Me thinks we had best avoid these issues which can cause very deep hurt. Accidents happen, bullets kill.

Sorry Piper Alpha,
I know where your coming from and I find it best to ignore some folks.

Everyone has a right to either agree or disagree, hopefully I have not got personal, because if I do.. I tend to be less than tactful :mad: :mad: ;)

Yours very sincerely
John

Apathy!!

It's not bad over there ...

Someone will be along soon no doubt to say ' Who cares what flag you fly on your boat !! ' ;)
Yup,
Just like some folks think this is just £200 of scrap metal.

What is happening when low life scum steal engraved metal for its scrap value!

The thing that amazed me was it being done in a city like Plymouth!! We saw the local papers carrying this story on their front pages and then having follow-up stories on several other pages. Both local radio and TV also continually high-lighted this theft. One well respected (he certainly is now:) ) radio disc jockey had a personal vendetta against these low life's.

Thankfully a scrap dealer had the guts to hand one of the plaques to the police. I congratulate this person and hopefully he will be rewarded for his honesty and diligence.

Do I feel sorry for these despicable dregs of the earth?? Hell will freeze over before that would happen. Yes there were more so called serious crimes being committed in that city, BUT.......... some folks still have standards, values and respect for our British values.

War Memorials represent those that have made the ultimate sacrifice for their Queen and Country. Yes the Monarch..... we take an oath of allegiance and the Union Jack represents both our Queen and Country. To fly that flag at a public event upside whilst our National Anthem is being played is and always will be an insult!

Apathy!!

City Royal Marine commando Mark Ormrod, who lost both legs and his right arm on the Afghanistan front-line last year, called the theft “a disgrace”.
The 24-year-old, who is rebuilding his life in Elburton after stepping on a buried Taliban land-mine on Christmas Eve, said: “The people whose names are on that plaque died for their country. They died for whatever idiot stole it. It's just wrong

David McCoy, aged 73, who is standard bearer at the St Budeaux Royal British Legion, said it was “disgraceful”.
The veteran said: “It's really disgusting – I don't think there are words to really describe them, to stoop so low.
“Somebody must know about it – the scrap dealers they're going to sell to must know.”

Apathy..... chunter, chunter

Have a nice day

John

While we're on about flags - my friends dad was a captain or something in the navy (he was in during WWII - I think ). Now someone in Spain reported him for flying a flag on his personal boat (in 2005), but actually because of what he did in the navy he was allowed to fly it. So question is, what was the flag? Oh and it is a question that I dont know the answer to.

While we're on about flags - my friends dad was a captain or something in the navy (he was in during WWII - I think ). Now someone in Spain reported him for flying a flag on his personal boat (in 2005), but actually because of what he did in the navy he was allowed to fly it. So question is, what was the flag? Oh and it is a question that I dont know the answer to.
The usual flag that causers such controversy is the White Ensign. There are very strict rules regarding the flying of this flag and 'The old boys network' will usually clamp down on boat owners that do not have the necessary qualifications to fly it.

Regards
John

Edit memory was shouting Royal Yacht Squadron Yacht Club which is based at the Isle of Wight

In 1829 the Admiralty issued a warrant to wear what is now the Navy’s white ensign. The burgee, in compliment, is differenced with a St George’s cross and crown. Lord Yarborough’s Falcon led a rally to Cherbourg in 1831. In 1833 the Club became the Royal Yacht Squadron by command of His Majesty King William IV

Last edited:
Hugh , put a post up on YBW.com , someone will know that for sure ....

John ,

The top end of Teddington is where the hoodies and low-lifes gather in the evenings , thankfully not the nice end by the river ;)

However , the war memorial is at the top end of Teddington , and while there is a lot of graffiti all around ( on the phone boxes , bus stops etc ) there is none on the war memorial ( and it is right by a bus stop and late night chicken shop ) .....

The wreaths from Remembrance Day are still laying at the foot of it , ripe for being kicked into the road or whatever , but they never ever are . I drive home at 6am some mornings and the detritus and destruction of the local youth are everywhere to be seen before the road cleaners come out , but the the wreaths and memorial are always fine ... so i guess there must be some values embedded deep inside people.

Hugh , put a post up on YBW.com , someone will know that for sure ...
The problem is that if Hugh does not know what the flag was it is impossible to answer.

For instance when in a foreign port they could have been flying a courtesy flag on the wrong yard. The flag they were flying could be the wrong size, or perhaps 'dirty' By that I mena modified. I also read somewhere that if you fly a British flag on the starboard yard rm it means you are a captured prize!!!! The list is endless but my guess would be that it is highly possible they were flying a White Ensign.

As an aside folks are only officially allowed to fly the National flag from a flag pole. If there is more than one flag pole, or they are flying a flag other than the National flag, they will need planning permission from the local authority.

Has Teddington Lock got a flag pole? :devil: :devil: :)

If you can keep a secret..... :D At the annual GTG we fly a huge Mercedes-Benz flag!!!!!shhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone

Edit
Just heard that the plaques from the War Memorial were recovered in Somerset!!!

Teddington Lock has two flag poles :cool:

Both fly the EA flag , basically the silly person holding their hands in their among the clouds logo on a green background .....

Except for St Georges day , when i fly a cross of St George on one , and September 17th ( National Talk like a Pirate day ) when i fly the skull and crossbones from one :eek: and say 'Aaaaaarrrrrgh !' a lot ....

Teddington Lock has two flag poles :cool:

Both fly the EA flag , basically the silly person holding their hands in their among the clouds logo on a green background .....

Except for St Georges day , when i fly a cross of St George on one , and September 17th ( National Talk like a Pirate day ) when i fly the skull and crossbones from one :eek: and say 'Aaaaaarrrrrgh !' a lot ....
Comes the day of the revolution all non conformers will be dunked in the lock;) :devil: :D

I think it may be the ensign -that seems to ring a bell.
He could fly it because of his rank in the navy. And yes it was some of the "old brigade" even though he was a one ( he's no longer with us ) that complained about it. I just seem to recall it was small and at the top of his mast.
Just read on wiki this

"...in progress or to indicate the presence of an Admiral of the Fleet on-board"

and I do think he was an admiral - maybe that is why he could fly it on his own vessel?

Last edited:
I think it may be the ensign -that seems to ring a bell.
He could fly it because of his rank in the navy. And yes it was some of the "old brigade" even though he was a one ( he's no longer with us ) that complained about it. I just seem to recall it was small and at the top of his mast.
Just read on wiki this

"...in progress or to indicate the presence of an Admiral of the Fleet on-board"

and I do think he was an admiral - maybe that is why he could fly it on his own vessel?
:D When an Admiral was afloat on a warship, the ship would indicate his presence by flying a flag.

Rear Admiral
radm_flag.gif

Vice Admiral
vadm_flag.gif

Then we have the bloke with no balls!! :devil: (the highest rank of the three)

Admiral
fulladm_flag.gif

I have not heard of a retired Admiral ever flying this flag on a private vessel and I would think it would cause a 'slight' furore :devil:

The Royal Navy is steeped in tradition and a junior ship (Captain) must always salute the senior vessel, and if a vessel were carrying an Admiral, then they are right at the top of the pecking order. It appeals to my sense of humour for the crew of HMS Ark Royal all standing to attention as a 22' yacht sailed by! They would definitely do this if a serving Admiral were on-board his Royal Navy barge!

I have just carried out a quick Google and cannot find any pictures of a modern Admiral's barge (have we got any?? :devil:

Here we have an old picture of an Admiral being carried in his personal barge:

main.php

As he would pass any moored ships they would pipe the 'Still' everyone on the upper deck would stand to attention, the senior officer would salute the Admiral and when the barge had passed by, the 'Carry On' would be piped and life would return to normal................ unless the Admiral had noticed anything untoward on any of the ships :devil: :devil: :devil:

It would make no sense for your friend's father to fly an Admiral's flag. It is highly possible he was a member of the Royal Squadron Yacht Club and thus entitled to fly the White Ensign. I say this because he would definitely have served at Portsmouth, a Royal Navy Captain is a senior rank and it would be quite easy for him to have been a member? (just a guess)

Regards
John

Hugh , put a post up on YBW.com , someone will know that for sure ....

John ,

The top end of Teddington is where the hoodies and low-lifes gather in the evenings , thankfully not the nice end by the river ;)

However , the war memorial is at the top end of Teddington , and while there is a lot of graffiti all around ( on the phone boxes , bus stops etc ) there is none on the war memorial ( and it is right by a bus stop and late night chicken shop ) .....

The wreaths from Remembrance Day are still laying at the foot of it , ripe for being kicked into the road or whatever , but they never ever are . I drive home at 6am some mornings and the detritus and destruction of the local youth are everywhere to be seen before the road cleaners come out , but the the wreaths and memorial are always fine ... so i guess there must be some values embedded deep inside people.
There have now been three arrests regarding the desecration of the war memorial.

Sad that this has happened but brilliant that the low life's have been caught so quickly.

WHY????????

Regards
John

He was an old so & so and was known for his "naughty" sense of humour.
He would have infuriated other people for his own humour.

And what has that got to do with winging about things that don't matter? Moaning about a flag upside down is a little different is a little different to blowing up a soldier...........................however it is what it is a mistake, its onlt the outcome that is different.

Unfortunatley mistakes that result in things that matter will continue to happen also, war is never pretty and no one said it would be.

And what has that got to do with winging about things that don't matter? Moaning about a flag upside down is a little different is a little different to blowing up a soldier...........................however it is what it is a mistake, its onlt the outcome that is different.

Unfortunatley mistakes that result in things that matter will continue to happen also, war is never pretty and no one said it would be.
Hi Barry,
I'm sorry you cannot see the differnce and please try tp accept that to a large section of our society the Union Jack (or flag) is very, very much more than a piece of cloth and dye. It will always be an emotional topic to those that have served and this apathy might frustrate some folks. We have tried to explain that we are not talking about an accidental error or any individual that has worn this flag or whatever else.

The next time a British soldier is flown home in a coffin, look long and hard at the coffin note the precision of the placing of the Union Jack. I can assure you that without even lppkong the flag will be placed in such a way as the 'Head' will be at the head.

Please, please do not make light of that informnation as itis a very emotive point, but also highly relevant.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom