Broadband Dial-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
Morning all.

Flying visit only.

I have a neeed to install some remotely accessible CCTV cameras. I've seen that you can buy some with a built-in modem, that you can dial-up from anywhere. How do you do dial-up from a Broadband connected pc?

Is there another solution using IP addresses rather than dial-up?

Thx

PJ

Yes,
You can buy ip cameras. These cameras have a built-in web server which allows you to put them onto a network and access them from anywhere using a web browser (assuming that you allow access through yopur firewall).
You can then attach them to an ADSL modem and not require a PC to host it at all.
I have done precisely this and use it to watch my house remotely. If an intruder enters then this triggers the camera to e-mail pictures of the event.
I then log on to the camera and can view what is going on live.
The camera in question uses mpeg4 compression thus allowing relatively good video over the relatively slow ADSL connection (256K upload speed).
Try This link for some ideas.
Mac.

machasm said:
Yes,
You can buy ip cameras. These cameras have a built-in web server which allows you to put them onto a network and access them from anywhere using a web browser (assuming that you allow access through yopur firewall).
You can then attach them to an ADSL modem and not require a PC to host it at all.
I have done precisely this and use it to watch my house remotely. If an intruder enters then this triggers the camera to e-mail pictures of the event.
I then log on to the camera and can view what is going on live.
The camera in question uses mpeg4 compression thus allowing relatively good video over the relatively slow ADSL connection (256K upload speed).
Try This link for some ideas.
Mac.
What cam/system do you use? Did you connect it directly into your gateway. Did you have to buy some static IPs?

Alex

Thanks guys.

However, after further reflection, I prolly couldn't use IP CCTV anyway as the remote site is unlikely to have broadband capability.

So, if I go for dial-up CCTV, how do I dial it from a broadband connection?

PJ

imadoofus said:
Thanks guys.

However, after further reflection, I prolly couldn't use IP CCTV anyway as the remote site is unlikely to have broadband capability.

PJ

You can't as such. You will need to by a modem for the PC and use it to dial out to the camera over your phone line.

imadoofus said:
Thanks guys.

PJ
I doubt wether you could have any way of doing live feed through a dial-up connection since it does not offer enough bandwidth to support this function.
You may be able to have stills sent but I am not aware of any product that you could do this with.
That said, you could set up a PC with a web cam at the remote end that could record all day for you. You could then set-up the machine to allow dial-up access from a remote location and using remote desktop or other form of remote control software, access the footage remotely. This would be very slow though and rather cumbersome.

Alex the camera I used was the PT3124 this has built-in wireless capability although I don't use that function.
I have it connected directly to a broadband router and yes I do have a static ip. However, you could still do the same thing with a dynamic ip address and the use of dyndns.org.

Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom