'Broadband Hero' gets his fat pipe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Koolvin, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Koolvin

Koolvin Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    W168, W169 & S202
    Source: Silicon.com

2. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    Great idea, gives a fingers up to BT and the like!

The only problem with all satellite based Broadband is latency.....often over 1500ms pings. This is fine for FTP but web browsing is slow and more importantly VPN access is *slower* than over dial-up.

So if you want to connect to work from home over VPN thenn forget Satellite.

3. jack-n-gill

jack-n-gill New Member

Car:
    MB 190 2.0/ Suzuki Vitara
    Sattelite Braodband

We use sattelite technology here at work to connect to the net. However, the speed of upload/download is dependent on the number online at any one time. Sometimes it's good other times it's poor to diabolical. Still, being in a rural location, I can look out of the window and watch the river run by while I'm waiting. Ho Hum.:rolleyes:

4. Maff

Maff MB Enthusiast

My company (PoundHost) has been providing wireless broadband to a nearby village for some time now. We have 135 residents with speeds between 2Mbit and 4Mbit internet each!!

www.dorneynet.co.uk

We may start rolling this out to other non-ADSL villages soon, dorneynet has been our testbed if you like!

All because BT didn't get their act together...

5. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    Maff

A colleague of mine is looking into the feasibility of doing this in his village somewhere in deepest darkest Oxfordshire.

Would it be possible for him to pick your brains on the subject. Perhaps over a pint or two? He is our Unix man so he's very technical - but just not in this particular area.

Last time he and I were looking at this, we were put off by exhorbitant leased line prices and we figured we'd need at least 200 subscribers just to break even.

You've certainly got my attention anyway. What do you recon - any chance?

6. Maff

Maff MB Enthusiast

Not a problem, I think you have my contact details. I'm a bit busy for the next few weeks, but after that will be fine. There are a few *nix solutions out there too, we are using one of them now.

We have a non-line-of-sight wireless link to our DC, thus avoiding leased line costs, but it can be done. (our NLOS wireless link will go upto 25 miles! )