Broadband signal booster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi all

I need to find an inexpensive way to boost a broadband signal .

Is there such a device that you can plug into your router , or connect in series that will extend the range of a broadband signal ?

Like a signal amplifier or something ?

Basically i need to increase the range of the broadband outside the house for about another 50/100 feet . The router lives on the windowsill at the moment , to maximise range through the window , but connection is still sketchy unless you sit in a particular place .

Any ideas ?

Is it just a case of plug it in , away you go ?

Ok gents , time to think again ...

The router is an orange brightbox and doesn't have an aerial or a connection for one ....

There is a power in socket on the back , 4 connection ports and a phone line in port , there is also a USB port .....

How can i attach something to this to extend the range ?

Thanks again

H

Edit : would the one in Jays link work ?

Last edited:
Or is there some way i can attach something to the laptop to act as a bigger aerial ? instead of the internal receiver / transmitter ?

We get a weak signal from the router and can use the laptop in one particular window in the room at the moment

That looks complicated to setup , i should stress that we are IT idiots lol

Basically , we are trying to get a wireless signal across a small river , about 75 feet.

I'm thinking that something to plug into the laptop might be the answer ( if it exists )

That looks complicated to setup , i should stress that we are IT idiots lol

Basically , we are trying to get a wireless signal across a small river , about 75 feet.

I'm thinking that something to plug into the laptop might be the answer ( if it exists )

I use something to plug into my laptop to use the internet. 15 eu a month and it works fine.

Anyone please ?

What about this ? is this the sort of thing i need ?

I'll go to PC world if i have to once i know what i need , it's driving me potty.

WIFI 150MBPS WIRELESS ADAPTOR 802.11 B/G/N HIGH GAIN AERIAL LAN USB DONGLE | eBay

Howard, you only need that if the laptop/pc hasn't already got wifi. As I understand it you have a wifi network already set up and you want to extend it. I have the same problem rattling in a cavernous old barn, so use this:

WiFi Repeater Access Point up to 300 / 150: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

at the other end of the house, works fine for us. Of course I'm assuming that you have power where you want to extend the range.

hth.

Hi Ian ,

Basically the router is as near as we can to where we need the signal to be.

Router is in the window nearest the river , we have front garden 5ft , pathway and bank 25ft , river 25ft , pathway 25ft that we need to cross.

Would we plug one of these in next to the router (we can't physically plug the repeater in any nearer where we need to be as the router is on the windowsill ) or in the office where we need to receive the signal ?

I can't see any benefit to one of these if the router is as near as we can get it , or am I misunderstanding ?

Hi Howard,

I'm not clear if you have power at the distant point at which you wish your laptop be able to join the network. If you have then this will work.

For example I have my wireless router downstairs at the far end of the house and the signal is hopeless for the other end of the house and also upstairs. With the repeater it's fine, mine is plugged in upstairs about 25/30 meters away.

Is that clearer?

Ah , I see now !

Yes , we have power at the distant point , but the wireless signal is quite faint .

So plugging this in at the laptop location is the answer ? Sorry , I thought you meant at the router location !

Guessing your house has thick walls too ? We have the router by a window and we can plug the repeater in righ by a window at the end location, so this sounds ideal !

Thanks

H

Hi Howard,

I'm not clear if you have power at the distant point at which you wish your laptop be able to join the network. If you have then this will work.

For example I have my wireless router downstairs at the far end of the house and the signal is hopeless for the other end of the house and also upstairs. With the repeater it's fine, mine is plugged in upstairs about 25/30 meters away.

Is that clearer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom