Broke after computer check up c180 06 kompressor petrol manual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dober

Car
Merc c180
Hi! I have a quetion hopefully somebody knows the answer. My merc c180 kopmressor 2006 petrol manual was taken by my friend just to check what is the reading on kopmuter on my car to compare it to other car in his garage. My car had never an issue with anything all was 100%. My friend owns a garage , he rang us and asked as to take our car, as a nice person I did give it to him. Then he rang me few hours later said computer showed all perfect. Then he was gone, after 4 days he brouhgt my car back as he did give me his own car to drive these days i didnt say anything. Then we drove our car only one day for about 3 hours and then another 2 days for 20 min each day, so total was about lessthen 4 hours drive after we got it. Then car was parked near the house but when we wanted to start it it never did. My question is can he do something wrong by messing up with computer and do some error to my car computer thats why it didnt start? As when we took it to the nearest garage was told engine taiming chsin jumped and broke all valves, that could happen after electronical ertor after our cars copmuter was messed with. As my car never had a problem before. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi

Your car has a M271 1.8 petrol engine , the cam chain is a weak point on these cars and will stretch , and can jump and damage valves .Its not gonna be a cheap fix , the chain and sprockets alone will cost over 1500 euro .

Your friend with the computer did not do this damage .Did you not notice any strange noises from the engine ?

Thats the funniest thing that was nothing completely nothing happened all was 100% , was told in garage what could happen is after messing up computer the car got some error and just could give as ertor to the sensors for an example crankshaft sensor then when we wanted to start the car, sensor didnt work and all thst happened. As my mechanic said it shoud be something before that would be noise from the engine or if it would be electricsl issue originally it eould come up es error in any way it should be something begote that. Was completely nothing before it was in garage for that check and what I dont like now that it was 4 days. As you can read the reading in few hours. Now I am looking for an engine and it is at least 1000 to 1800 plus labour. But came from nowhere. :(

I know its common problem with c180 but I was told that happened because it is the wekest point thats why it happened with engine after the electrical part stopped working properly, after getting some error as merc esp kompressor is hard car with all the sensors snd people should be very careful with it.

Crank sensor messure the air gap between flywheel and sensor and tells the ecu when fire a spark to start the car (timing)

The issue has nothing to do with pluging a computer into the obd port.

What could be done in garage to the car in 4 days that after that it drove only 4 hours and stopped, was perfect before and no signs to any problems before it was parked but just didnt start then.

When the cam chain jumps teeth on the one or both cams there will be an error logged in the cars fault memory . This fault will relate to an inplusable message for a cam

So in other words it was error in computer to do it?sorry for stupid question as I am far from mechanical issues and that type of problems

^ No. Hooking your car up to read the ECU did not cause the damage to your car. During the 4hrs or so you drove it from it being returned to you, the chain, which was already stretched, finally jumped a cog on the cam, the damage was done then. Just bad luck and one major problem with that particular engine.

I know the actual damage is done mechanically by chain but what did cause it? Just straight after being in garage is to strange for me. Bad luck after being in garage... After running diagnostics could they do any error to cause it to jump as that i was told in garage

Four days in the garage for a 20min diagnostic check? plenty of time to change an
engine for one with a stretched chain,but a friend would not do that.

It's a known problem with your model of car that the chain stretches and the cam gears
wear causing major damage,first clue is a rattle on start up then power loss which will
clear on a restart,then return after a while.

Thats what I dobt like now when I think about it as it was too long in the garage so anything could be done, when I said friend he is not the best friend, he is one of the company but last few years wasnt close to us at all and did change a lot. So basically could be chance he can do something to it, but I did trust him wthat I regret now big time. I know car can broke anytime but not without any noise or light shown up and it was fine before it happened after being in garage. Too good to be true. How can I check was my engine changed or not? And another question is there something like history check what was the readibg from diagnostics or it could be all delited?

Might be worth checking the engine number against the registration documents to rule out any doubt about the engine being swapped.

Sorry I can't yell you where to locate the number on the engine, but hopefully someone will be able to tell you where to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom