Broken Britain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never knew anything about this, thanks for posting...but I give this thread alas a short shelf life.

Nothing new.
Happened to me over thirty five years ago.

That's the most unbalanced article I've seen in a long time. Heavily laden with purple prose, it reads like it was written by a third-rate student from a former polytechnic. Hardly a shining example of political journalism, is it?

Fair comment, but it's message it conveys not the way it conveys it.

If, and it's only an if, he had a previous court order to pay his arrears or £x amount by a certain date or face a pre- determined sentence then I believe the correct procedure is to " lift and shift"

Unfortunately the article doesn't give very much background to the circumstances so it's difficult to properly assess and comment

it reads like it was written by a third-rate student from a former polytechnic.

Intellectual elitism?

Just a question, certainly not a criticism!;)

Intellectual elitism?

Just a question, certainly not a criticism!;)

Perhaps, but I would expect some level of journalistic integrity from anyone contributing such an article as a news story, even if the website does have its own political agenda. This article wouldn't even get a grade at O level, as it fails on so many counts - stating contentious and ill-informed opinion as absolute fact; over-use of emotive language; no attempt to explain the very powers that they're criticising, and why they consider them to be unjust; and no evidence that a statement was sought from the relevant authorities in defence of the action taken.

A very shoddy piece of writing indeed.

Perhaps, but I would expect some level of journalistic integrity from anyone contributing such an article as a news story, even if the website does have its own political agenda. This article wouldn't even get a grade at O level, as it fails on so many counts - stating contentious and ill-informed opinion as absolute fact; over-use of emotive language; no attempt to explain the very powers that they're criticising, and why they consider them to be unjust; and no evidence that a statement was sought from the relevant authorities in defence of the action taken.

A very shoddy piece of writing indeed.

Agrred, no evidence of detached and factual reporting, just a series of poorly connected and sloppy phrasing that leaves the reader no further informed at the end of the articel that they were from reading the sensationalist headline.

The less exciting version:

"Hayes was due to appear at Wirral Magistrates Court last week, but failed to attend.
A warrant was then issued for his arrest and police arrived at his home in Holland Road, Wallasey, on Saturday morning and took him to the court.
A spokesman for Merseyside Police confirmed their officers arrested businessman Hayes and transported him to Wirral Magistrates Court.
At the same court on Monday July 2 he was committed to prison for 21 days for arrears and costs of £1,477.14 and “wilful refusal” to pay."

Wirral council tax ‘rebel’ Roger Hayes sent to prison - Wirral News

My favourite quote;

"There is now no doubt that Britain is further under the control of domestic terrorists in Westminster."

The article is rubbish and the conspiracy theorists are throwing their toys out the pram again. He was treated in the same way as anyone else.
Summoned to Magistrates Court, he failed to attend,a bench warrent was issued. In pursuit of that warrent the police arrested him at a time when they had good reason to know where he was. He was then held until a Magistrates Court heard his case, he failed to convince them that he had good reasons and was therefore gaoled.

No secret trial, treated exactly the same way as anyone else, there has never been "Juries" in Magistrates Court, the man is over 18 therefore no requirement to let family know. He was either represented or declined to be so.
Magistrates are lay people guided on the law by a clerk, very much a jury of his peers.

Just because this man is trying to make some political point he should not be treated in any way other than any person who breaks the law. Would anyone be getting so upset if he was on assault or theft charges?
I think not.

The law worked as it has done for the last hundred years.

The article is rubbish and the conspiracy theorists are throwing their toys out the pram again. He was treated in the same way as anyone else.
Summoned to Magistrates Court, he failed to attend,a bench warrent was issued. In pursuit of that warrent the police arrested him at a time when they had good reason to know where he was. He was then held until a Magistrates Court heard his case, he failed to convince them that he had good reasons and was therefore gaoled.

No secret trial, treated exactly the same way as anyone else, there has never been "Juries" in Magistrates Court, the man is over 18 therefore no requirement to let family know. He was either represented or declined to be so.
Magistrates are lay people guided on the law by a clerk, very much a jury of his peers.

Just because this man is trying to make some political point he should not be treated in any way other than any person who breaks the law. Would anyone be getting so upset if he was on assault or theft charges?
I think not.

The law worked as it has done for the last hundred years.

True, not as interesting though :D

Next time I'll do a bit of research before I post an article.

He will only do 10 days and I'll wager he will do it again next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom