Broken double yellow line myth ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Some might have heard say that if the double yellow lines are not complete or 'capped off' at the end by a yellow paint bar they are not legally valid.

I have never tested this out or thought much of it , in this photo (not visible ) the end of the lines nearest to me just fade away and are not 'capped off' with a short perpendicular paint line.

This is a few streets away from me and I have never in a few decades seen anyone park here. someone new has moved in and basically parks either his (or her) Lexus or MB W207 E soft top (both nice clean cars) on these lines practically every night and a great deal of time during the day.

I have never seen them ticketed or clamped , it effects me not a jot and to be completely honest I cant actually see a pressing reason why the lines exist . It's just that were pretty much invisible to me until I noticed the Merc parked there :).

Anyone heard of this 'Myth' ?

double yellow.jpg

The law states it needs to be a 'solid yellow line', which that isn't. If it's not backed up by a sign then any ticket you get by parking there can easily be argued away. I know that from personal experience ;)

I didn't look to see if there is a sign , so fair play to the 'parker' , taking advantage of the local councils total lack of basic road maintenance .

If it's not backed up by a sign

AFAIK double yellow means no waiting at any time hence doesn't need a sign. There would be one for single yellow though, to show when the restriction is active.

Any fault in marking or signage creates a loophole , so yes you may get a ticket but then you would have to appeal against it to win .

I was under the impression that yellow lines, single or double, indicate where restrictions shown on a sign apply. No sign, no restrictions.

No signs required by double yellows....just single.

I have never seen them ticketed or clamped, it effects me not a jot and to be completely honest I cant actually see a pressing reason why the lines exist

The purpose of the double yellows may have been to prevent parked vehicles obstructing the view of the pedestrian crossing. If that's not it then it can only be the usual council mean spiritedness.

Your first observation might be correct , not sure what that type of crossing is called but it's rarely used and the road curves a bit and is full of parked cars and vans hindering any view up it with or without the Lexus/MB private parking being occupied. I cant see the council popping round with a can of yellow paint anytime soon , too busy wasting money elsewhere .

It looks to me like you can't park near where you took the photo, but if you have a very short car you can park on the other bits, here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom