broken down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookie-1978

Car
e320 cdi
Just popped to the shop, came out and it won't start. Engine cranking but won't fire.
Cars a e320 cdi w211

Might sound cheeky but have you left it in gear? Assuming it is automatic of course

It's not getting fuel to injectors. It's not in gear either. It's getting a bit chilly

Also where's the crankshaft sensor location on the e320 cdi w211?

It's not getting fuel to injectors. It's not in gear either. It's getting a bit chilly

Hmm that sort of rules out the CPS then although exact symptoms you describe.
When mine went, I left the engine for about 45 mins to cool down and it started again with the eml light on. Cost about £200 parts and labour to replace at an indy.
Sounds like you need someone with experience of diesels to help out.

Also where's the crankshaft sensor location on the e320 cdi w211?

Its on the n/s gearbox housing right at the rear of the engine. Not easy to reach and undo either.

It's not getting fuel to injectors,,,,,
How do you know that it's not getting fuel to the injectors Cookie.?
Although my initial reaction was the same thought that it may be the Crank position sensor, if there is a fuelling problem then maybe the fuel pump has failed.?

I cracked off the injector pipe while a guy passing turned the key. Got nothing.

I think there maybe 2, lift pump in the tank and high pressure one off the front of the cams, you can see that one at the front of the engine.

Turn the key to position 2 and you should hear it prime the filter/rail , if not I'd say it's dead

No noise except sbc pump

Id say the low pressure pump in tank is knackered then, either that or immobiliser but I'd had thought the engine wouldn't crank that being the case

Is the one in the tank easy to get to or do you have to drop the tank

FWIW there was a recall to replace the CPS on most M-Bs with the OM642 V6 CDI built in 2006 and 2007:

Recall Details for MERCEDES BENZ - M, C, CLK, E, CLS, S, R & G- CLASSES.

Symptom was engine refusing to fire at all, with no warning.

The W639 Vito and Viano were excluded from the recall in the UK (but not in other countries), so owners of those have to pick up the tab when the sensor fails :rolleyes:

Fuel pump relay faulty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom