Broken fanbelt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hankster

Car
E220 Avantgarde
Hi - new here so appreciate the help - my fanbelt broke - how far can I still drive without damaging the engine? I assume the main problem is the water pump and to some extent the power steering - thanks in advance

Not very far - although the limiting factor will probably be the lack of power steering. You don't mention what year is it, but from experience a 211 with no power assistance is almost impossible to steer.

I wouldn't move it unless it's across a road! Don't risk engine damage. The belts are about €20 from the dealers, cheaper than a motor factor

^as above. I wouldnt risk it. Just get it recovered and fixed. You want to also find out why it broke. Could be a dodgy tensioner, seized pulley etc. Spin each one by hand and listen out for noise. Check for side to side movement also.

I drove a car with no fan belt some years ago, you have around 5 minutes before the engine gets too hot.

The problem is that the temp sender is immersed in coolant, but when the coolant is not circulating the gauge might show a cool engine while in fact the engine is boiling over.

Also, the alternator was not running, not an issue on an old car but not sure how modern car electronics would react to having 12v (and falling) instead of 13.5-14v.

Oh, and I drove a Renault once which had a fault with the electrical power steering, the car was only steerable at speed but near impossible to drive slowly.

In short - don't risk it....

I carry spare drive belts in the boot , along with tools , lamp kit and a few basic essentials .

I've only once had to change a power steering drive belt at the roadside , newer cars have a single poly belt which drives everything , but with a spare available you can be on your way in minutes .

That reminds me , I need to get one for my newly acquired SL ( put the new one on and keep the old one as an emergency spare .

Oh , and agreed with the others - don't drive far : overheating and engine damage can occur quite quickly , along with battery depletion .

Find the nearest safe place to stop and switch off . It isn't just a matter of distance , time running is also a factor - if stuck in traffic , you could overheat in a couple of minutes whilst going nowhere .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom