Broken gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E63s s213 2019, E55 2004 Silver-SOLD, E63 w212 Weistec AMG-SOLD, E55 2004-SOLD, C36 1997-SOLD
Hi Guys, thought id post my problem now!

driving to g\f`s on sunday night, pulled over to fill up, when i took off again, the car would not change gear, the lever moves fine, but when you accelerate the revs just keep going up but no gear change... where it is supposed to change it seems to make a screaming noise, so i eased off. drove it to hers, and had it towed back last night at my expense ( as i found out i did not have recovery and only roadside nad home start where they only tow you 10 miles! i had 52 miles to get back!). Mechanic is going to have a look tommorrow, wondered if anyone had any ideas?

an hour earlier i heard a noise like a bolt hitting the wheel arch and assumed it was something in the road, maybe that had something to do with it?

cheers!

Alps

Alps, if its an automatic gearbox it may be a blocked filtre inside the box. Other than that i have no idea, sorry

Ian

Ian, it is an Auto box, i`ll let you know when i have it checked!

Thought id send you an update.

put the MB computer and done a gearbox reset, which got it changing gears, but then slipping everywhere after it warmed up.

we then took the gearbox sump off (after draining) the oil, we found a few thin strips of metal and some metal filings (not a good sign).

so far the car is up on a ramp and the gearbox is on the floor!

looks like the overdraft is going to get a beating this month! :(

I think I still have an Auto box laying arround somewhere if you are interested, needs a new filtre and a rear cover but that is not a big job.

Ian, as far as i have been told, my one has different gear ratios and is a 5 speed electronic one

thanks for the offer tho!

:)

Originally posted by Alps
Ian, as far as i have been told, my one has different gear ratios and is a 5 speed electronic one
It's probably quite similar to mine :)

According to GF you can buy a brand new one for only about £1700, because MB want you to have a new one rather than try to fix the old one.

£1600 inc VAT from a dealer!

still chasing to get one cheaper! ive found a 2nd hand one for £900, but i can get a new one fthro my friend for £1200.

im waiting to see what bluestar can get one for!

Originally posted by Alps

still chasing to get one cheaper! ive found a 2nd hand one for £900, but i can get a new one fthro my friend for £1200.

im waiting to see what bluestar can get one for!
Excellent, keep trying! :D

Thats a lot cheaper that I was expecting it to be. I was thinking it would be about £3K. I am getting a bit worried about mine atm, as when cold it seems to frequently shift quite hard from 3rd to 2nd when slowing down. I am not sure whether this is normal or not. wil check with the stealer when it goes in for its MOT next week (still under signature warranty for another 7 months so still time to get it fixed before I am on my own).

Good luck with the shopping around.

Robbo

Originally posted by Robbo
I am getting a bit worried about mine atm, as when cold it seems to frequently shift quite hard from 3rd to 2nd when slowing down. I am not sure whether this is normal or not.
Totally normal, the auto tries to warm the cat up by holding the engine in gear for longer :)

thanks Shude, still wating for a reply from bluestar, he normally sorts out a good price!

mine used to hold it in 2nd until it warmed up as well.

ive heard MB gearboxed are quiet common to go at 60-70 K, no tell tell signs either, just went!

Guys,

I am not talking about when you are accelerating, it is when I slow down to standstill at a junction and the auto box downshifts. There is slight judder going from 3rd to 2nd. It doesnt happen when its warm though.

I dont think this should be happening.

Cheers, Robbo

Last edited:
Robbo, if its under warrenty, get it looked at!

mine used to shift really nice, then all of a sudden no shift at all!

then this

tow.JPG

tow2.JPG

:mad:

Last edited:
Alps,

Sorry to hear the bad news :( Have you considered giving George Fraser a try? since his speciality is repairing MB auto-boxes. He even gets them sent to him from abroad for repair. Infact he's shown me a stripped gearbox internal part (had orbital cyclic gears ??) from a C36 gearbox, it had long nasty 'chew' marks along the gear teeth. It's the same part he's been pictured with in some photoshoots for the likes of 'Mercedes Enthusiast' and 'London Evening Standard'.

Guys,

I am not talking about when you are accelerating, it is when I slow down to standstill at a junction and the auto box downshifts. There is slight judder going from 3rd to 2nd. It doesnt happen when its warm though.

I dont think this should be happening.

Cheers, Robbo

I had this with my car and sometimes the downchange from 3rd to 2nd could get quite violent and a significant bang, exactly as you describe, e.g. only when the engine was cold. I was becoming paranoid that my gearbox was about to fail totally.

The actual cause for the problem in my case was a faulty MAS (air mass sensor). Once this unit was changed my gearchanges became silky smooth again :) Maybe worth investigating?

S.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Looks like its worth investigating this.

Cheers, Robbo

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Looks like its worth investigating this.

Cheers, Robbo

If your car is still within warranty I'd get this checked a.s.a.p. because you won't get much change from £300 if you have to pay for a replacement MAS out of your own pocket. The part is expbenzive whilst the labour to change the part is peanuts.

S.

my mate changed 3 MAS`s on the one saturday that i was there, they are so common a problem he buys 15 of them a month!!!!!!

UPDATE

Bluestar cannot get the gearbox as its a special item, Dronfield has a E36 one out of a T reg but its still a different part number and no guarentee what condition its in £750 + VAT.

opted for a new gearbox, in stock in the UK (x1) £1600. my mate can only get 5% discount on large parts and especially on an AMG part!

oh well, bread and water for the next 2 years it is!

Is that £1600 including fitting ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom