Broken Handle with Child Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jelleman

Car
Mercedes C-Class (W204 2012)
I'm new here but I think I'm in the right place.. I'm looking for advice on a problem:

My rear passenger door handle (exterior) has broken. I think this may be in part due to my toddlers fascination with pulling it repeatedly back and forth while the vehicle is locked. Currently when you engage the handle it simply flaps back and forth doing nothing. Although it's pain, it's unfortunately not the only issue I'm faced with because..... the child lock is engaged on that door so I can't open it from the inside either.
I'd appreciate any advice on the approach as ultimately I want to avoid going to a garage and paying several hundred £££ for a fix I could potentially do myself (or at least make cheaper). For example - given the exterior handle is broken - can I call a locksmith or use a hanger or something to open the car from the outside and then switch the child lock off?

Thusfar I have using the other passenger door located where the childlock switch is to see if it's possible to flick it off while the door is closed. Unfortunately I've not had any luck doing this - having spent a good hour or two fashioning various tools to attempt it. Any success stories on this with the C-Class?

I'm not sure about removing the interior door panel - mainly due to the fact that there are around 8 clips that run across the diameter of the panel, some of which seem (from studying video/pictures) to be difficult to access when the door is shut.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Last edited:
Sorry, just saw following article. Well done for your inventiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom