broken parking brake cable (help please)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eshan

Car
w209 clk200 kompressor
Hi Folkes,

I'm a newbie and would be very grateful for some advice.

My parking brake foot pedal on my 2003 clk200 with manual gearbox has gone limp after i pressed the pedal too hard accompanied by a loud thud noise! Now when i depress the foot brake pedal there is no resistance and it drops to the bottom of the foot well. The parking brake does not work and the car roles back unless i put it in gear.

I took it to my local indie who after looking at it for 10 mins told me that i had snapped the brake cable and that i would require a new cable running from the foot brake pedal to the rear parking brake adjuster under the rear seats. They say that they have not come across this before and may have to charge to 3 hrs labour as they will have to remove the centre console to do the work and in total this would cost ~£250 including £40 for the cable.

I've had a look myself by the front foot brake pedal and can't see any cable connecting to the pedal assembly (presumably it has come off)? Do i need a new cable or can i pull out the old cable and reattach it? If i do need a new brake cable is it possible to feed the cable from the rear brake adjuster to the front via the existing black conduit that houses the steel brake cable and runs this route. Therefore, avoiding the need to remove the centre console.

I have attached a photo of the rear parking brake adjuster & the front pedal assembly to give you a better idea.

Image208.jpg

Image205.jpg

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Hi folkes,

Just an update. It appears that the brake cable from the rear to the front is still intact pic attached). However, i'm not sure how this connects to the pedal mechanism just above the cable. I can't see anything dropped off on the floor underneath.

Cheers

Attachments

• Image216.jpg
    Image216.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 207
You wont put that back on, the end of the cable has snapped off. New cable for you I'm afraid.

While you will need a front cable as has been said and after looking at your photographs I can't see why the garage can't feed the cable through to under the dash. I can't see the necessity to remove the centre console. However the indy did say " may have to remove" and that they hadn't done one before so maybe just covering themselves. Your other option is to go to your local MB dealer for a quote and ask how long it will take-- their experience/ WIS should tell them what's involved ;) - Who knows this might be job they can do cheaper with their experience if you can get a definite quote from them ?:dk:

Last edited:
Eh? -what car is this? Remove the console?
On the S210 it looks pretty much like the entire front mechanism is exposed simply by dropping the driver's footwell cover, a couple of screws and Oddie nuts.

But surely the front cable is the release mechanism? It is the rear cable that has broken (it looks like the end has been cut cleanly but has pulled out of the crimp). Lifting the transmission tunnel cover is not as major exercise as opening the centre console.

View attachment 29929

It looks to me as the front part of the front cable has pulled out of the lug in the parkbrake arm.

The end of the cable shows no sign of a break. There would be loose strands of wire if it had broken. There is also an indentation on the cable (ringed in red) where the lug was crimped on to it.
Neither is there any evidence of any broken cable inside the lug (ringed in blue) which is visible inside the pedal mechanism. As these lugs are attached by press which exert several tonnes of pressure, a new cable is the only solution I would say.

I've checked in my workshop manual to see how to replace the same cable on my C class and access is needed from beneath the car, with need to remove part of the exhaust and heatshield. Also removal of the interior lower facia panel, which it looks like the OP has already done in order to photograph part of the pedal and the rear seat cushion, to access the back end of the front cable. Maybe it's routed differently on a CLK :dk:

Last edited:
Hi Folkes,

Just an update for any one who has this problem in future. I have found the metal nipple that attaches the cable to the brake pedal mechanism. It fits on to the steel cable (either welded or compressed) to with stand the tension on it. There is no real way of fitting it back onto the cable (unless you can weld in a confined space inside the car). A new cable will be required!

I managed to get the instruction sheet on how to fit a new cable in from Mercedes (203 & 209) and they advise that it should disconnected on the inside front and rear and then removed from underneath the car (removing the heat shield of the exhaust system). Doesn't look like a big job but more fiddly as parts of trim need to be removed but NO mention of removing centre console!

I'm taking my car to the indie on Monday and will let you know how i got on.

Cheers for all your advice.

I think you're possibly confusing the front (or forward) cable and the release cable here jefrs. :confused:

Er, that would be a negatory.

Er, that would be a negatory.

Then it is me who is confused. To clarify - I believe there are three cable in total. One at the back which is linked to both rear hubs and which connects to a coupling beneath the rear seat, in a V, as in OP 1st pic. Then one which is linked from this coupling to the parking brake pedal, which I would class as the front one. Then the cable from the pedal to the brake release control, which I would class as the release cable. :dk:

Last edited:
Not getting picky but in post#5 I said, "It is the rear cable that has broken".

My investigations at hanging upsidedown like a bat in the footwell indicated that access to the cables is not through the console at all.

Hi Folkes,

Just an update for any one who has this problem in future. I have found the metal nipple that attaches the cable to the brake pedal mechanism. It fits on to the steel cable (either welded or compressed) to with stand the tension on it. There is no real way of fitting it back onto the cable (unless you can weld in a confined space inside the car). A new cable will be required!

I managed to get the instruction sheet on how to fit a new cable in from Mercedes (203 & 209) and they advise that it should disconnected on the inside front and rear and then removed from underneath the car (removing the heat shield of the exhaust system). Doesn't look like a big job but more fiddly as parts of trim need to be removed but NO mention of removing centre console!

I'm taking my car to the indie on Monday and will let you know how i got on.

Cheers for all your advice.

Glad you got it sorted. For anyone else who has the same problem here is a layout diagram of the parking brake.

ParkingBrakeDiagram.jpg

Hi guys i'm also new to the forum and have a similar problem. My cable has stretched over time and now doesn't hold the foot peddle up when the brake has been released. I've got a new front cable ready to fit, does anyone have (or know where i can get my hands on) the instruction on changing it? Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
samps

Please clarify samps.

Do you mean the actual pedal doesn't return to the position it should do when the brake is released and you have to lift it with your foot?
Does the parking brake work when the pedal is depressed and does it hold the car?

If it does hold the car, it could be a spring at fault (broken).
I think there is a return spring on the pedal itself (???) and also one on mechanism at the back end of the main cable (located under the back seat).

Hi Mike,

The brake does work when applied but the peddle is almost at the end of its travel before the they engage. When i pull the release handle the peddle moves up slightly, but not enough to trigger the prox switch. I read somewhere that the tension in the cable holds the peddle up when the brakes are released.

The spring looks to be in tact and I've adjusted them as much as i can at the mechanism under the rear seat which worked for about 12 months.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom