Broken rear spring :-( which do I need ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Den656

Car
C220 cdi
Hi all , noticed a lovely 'clunking' noise from the back of the car today as I actually had rear passengers lol , had a quick look and it seems one side is sporting a nice lowered look lol , now cash being tight this close to christmas I was looking to just replace the one , now to my query ,
I have a 2006 cdi c220 sport saloon , the vin is wdc2030082r237983 , I have a friendly who works at eurocarparts, but looking at the site, there are two springs listed for the rear , so a lil help anyone as to which I need ? And I am in birmingham or Telford lol , any ideas on how easy to change, or how much I would be charged to get this done ? As obviously I need to get it done sharpish , thanks all .

Hi

Check the colours on the rear springs to match it , make sure you change them as a pair.
Or bring it to me I will sort it out In the morning.

Thanks acid

Thanks for replying acid , I had read on here about the colour system , but not sure how that would relate to Euros springs , and thanks for the offer , but ideally looking to have just one done this side of Christmas and then it won't be an issue to have the other fine after,, I very rarely push the car hard , so not too worried for the handling aspect , would just like it done ASAP for the safety side , thanks again .

Ok. If you find the colours I will check if I have a second hand one for you.

Acid

That's very decent of you , thank you , can you tell me is a visual check possible for the colours or does the car need jacking up or anything removed ? And what kind of price would I be looking at inc the fitting if you had one kicking around ? Thanks for replying .

No need to jack the car up.
Just lay on the ground and look at the spring. With luck the colour markings will be obvious as two squares of the appropriate colour. For example, mine are 2 yellow squares and that is the essential info.
Mercedes have a long winded system of which options are fitted to the vehicle will decide on the spring.
Tony

As the ECP springs will be completely different you will undoubtedly end up fitting two. Therefore, a good used spring with the same colour code is definitely the better option...you will be able to make a visual comparison after everything has settled.

Martin

Cheers guys , won't be home until tomorrow to find some of my hobo clothes so I can lie under the car to look lol , will be keeping my fingers crossed and calling acid as that seems to be the best option , will let you know how it goes , thanks all :) .

Try sticking a digital camera/phone under the rear of the car pointing slightly upwards at the spring area- with a bit of luck= [ how clean the springs are] the flash will pick up the colour code of at least one of the springs- save you crawling under the car??

ps they may not be the original springs anyway----- Mercedes list a choice of 13 rear springs depending on the cars equipment.

Last edited:
Cheers for the suggestion Grober , I tried that the spring was a bit grubby so ended up under the car to wipe the dirt off, but I know now that the spring that's still in one piece has three blue bands, so Acid chap,would you mind seeing if you had one kicking around that needs a good home ? Cheers again all .

MB part no for that colour code is A2103243404 around £65 from MERC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom