Broken spring on 211 E class estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldbloke

Car
E Class Estate 320CDI Elegance 2007 Non- ADS
A front spring broke while the car was sitting and had not been used for four days leaving the O/S wheel almost touching the inner wheel arch liner. 49,898 miles.

Strangely a BMW 3 series of the wifes did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago.

I wonder why they break while they are not even moving? thank god the wheels were aligned straight rather than on the turn as it looks as if the wheel arch would have been destroyed as it was the lower coil that snapped which let the whole front drop. At least I now know the alarm works.

All sorted now without needing to move the motor. What a nice simple strut to remove and replace the spring. Just have to do the other one when time allows.

Last edited:
A front spring broke while the car was sitting and had not been used for four days leaving the O/S wheel almost touching the inner wheel arch liner. 49,898 miles.

Strangely a BMW 3 series of the wifes did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago.

I wonder why they break while they are not even moving? thank god the wheels were aligned straight rather than on the turn as it looks as if the wheel arch would have been destroyed as it was the lower coil that snapped which let the whole front drop. At least I now know the alarm works.

All sorted now without needing to move the motor. What a nice simple strut to remove and replace the spring. Just have to do the other one when time allows.

Common on e320cdi iam afraid. Think its the weight of that big beast up front

Wife's VW Polo front spring broke while standing in a car park

I'm probably in the market for a 211 estate and have read the springs should be inspected on purchase as they're a known issue. Scary thought!

It's a known issue on every car. First happened to me on wife's Renault Clio many years ago. Both rear springs found to be broken at very near top at 4yr MOT. It only had a 1yr warranty but, give them their due, Renault replaced them FOC - dealer had 11 in stock, so must have been a common issue even then.

Had a front go on my C Class not so long ago - again had no idea until it went in for service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom