Broken stepper motor actuator - fixed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quasarman

Car
C320 Avantgarde SE Estate
What a fun job that was, although it isn't too bad and certainly suitable for competent diy job.

The part (2 in a bag) was £14 from MB

A few tips can be made available if anyone interested in stopping the annoying noises on start up.

Oh and yes it was the easy one! :D

Changing a stepper motor actuator

I just read a post of yours from July last year, just after you'd replaced a stepper motor actuator. I think I may well have the same problem (clicking noise when you first switch on the ignition).

How easy/hard are they to fit?
I haven't done much investigation work on it yet to find out exactly where the problem lies, but from what I've read it sounds like a common problem.

Any hints/tips gratefully received.

Chris

Hi Chris

There are at least two actuators that cause problems, one is realtively easy to fix the other is a dash out. The difficult one, which mine also suffers with, is for the active charcoal filter which is a dash out job. It is easy to check, if you have the Thermatic fully auto A/C (i.e. the one with digital diplays for temp) it will have a button to control whether the charcoal filter is used or not, on mine if this button is "on" the noise goes away turn it off and the noise returns.
Hopefully yours is the easy one but worth checking first before you replace the wrong one!

Cheers

Hi Jonathan
Thanks for your message.
I've been out to check whether the noise goes away depending on the button for the charcoal filter being on/off. The switch being on/off doesn't appear to have any affect, so it sounds like it may be the easier of the two to fix. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again - Chris

Hi Chris
Sounds like yours may have the same problem as mine had. It was a fairly easy fix, just a bit time consuming having to get comand etc out. If I remember rightly I had to slightly tweak the new part and make a small cut to the rear of the stereo/comand cage so I could remove it. Otherwise if you know how to remove comand (I assume on your C32) you should have no trouble. Certainly beats paying hundreds to have it done by someone else!
If you want any other help let me know.

PS Really wish I had the supercharger on mine, although I am wishing I didn't have AMG suspension most of the time!!!

Damn just checked mine as it's been clicking for ages ! With the button for charcoal filter on , no clicking on ignition live

Thanks again for the comments. I'll get the parts and then have a go at it when we get a nice sunny day.

If I need any tips I'll drop you a line.

Yes, the supercharger makes the C32 pretty special. I've had a few quick cars over the years, but the C32 is something else. The power seems to be endless and it just pulls and pulls. But if you drive it sensibly it's still a very comfy, quiet ride. I like the fact that it's pretty subtle - in the same way an M3 isn't - it doesn't stand out from the crowd... except when you're roaring off and leaving them far behind.
Chris

Hi Chris
Sounds like yours may have the same problem as mine had. It was a fairly easy fix, just a bit time consuming having to get comand etc out. If I remember rightly I had to slightly tweak the new part and make a small cut to the rear of the stereo/comand cage so I could remove it. Otherwise if you know how to remove comand (I assume on your C32) you should have no trouble. Certainly beats paying hundreds to have it done by someone else!
If you want any other help let me know.

PS Really wish I had the supercharger on mine, although I am wishing I didn't have AMG suspension most of the time!!!

Hi

If this is the active charcoal filter actuator do you have any hints, piccies etc? I have been quoted at least £600 for this fix, if you can do it just by removing command that would be fantastic!

Cheers

Jonathan

HI

would it be possible for you to send the tips as i have the same problem in my C200k 203
Cheers

Hi Chris

There are at least two actuators that cause problems, one is realtively easy to fix the other is a dash out. The difficult one, which mine also suffers with, is for the active charcoal filter which is a dash out job. It is easy to check, if you have the Thermatic fully auto A/C (i.e. the one with digital diplays for temp) it will have a button to control whether the charcoal filter is used or not, on mine if this button is "on" the noise goes away turn it off and the noise returns.
Hopefully yours is the easy one but worth checking first before you replace the wrong one!

Cheers
Firstly big thankyou, I've been quoted $600 labour, plus optional $1700 for the charcoal filter part if I wanted it working again (as opposed to just eliminating the knocking). Pressing the filter button on the aircon eliminates the knocking sound, AND the state persists between engine starts, so from now on I shall call this "the $600 button!".

Secondly, has anyone done this job? The dealer also states the entire dash has to come out. I'm not totally against paying the money, though it's up there. I have doubts the job will be done without evidence/marks/scrapes/misalignments etc. If there was a how-to I would consider doing it myself - I did the aux-in cable and also wired in a dash cam, but definitely a novice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom