Broken upper screw wheel arch liner removal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darragh1

Hi again,
All I did was take out the wheel arch liners to put in two new headlight bulbs and I broke the upper screw that connects the front and rear part of the liner to the upper part of the arch. See photos. Also a photo of two bad bulbs one good.
How may this be replaced? Part number? Temporary fix so I can drive to the dealer for the part?

Thanks,
D.

Attachments

• 20220107_142714.jpg
    20220107_142714.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220107_142718.jpg
    20220107_142718.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220107_142756.jpg
    20220107_142756.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220107_152730.jpg
    20220107_152730.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 43
Just the dealer to order one (or more) it will be a few pence.

In the interim either ignore it, nothing will happen or use a small nut and bolt or a cable tie or use one of the other liner bolts to secure it

Mb sell a very expensive rivnut assembly (think £15 each or thereabouts)

Or you can buy your own on Amazon and a rivnut tool. I did a couple on my r129 last summer.

The fact the thread has sheared then a new one wont be any good as you have nothing to screw it onto. I believe there is a threaded section welded to the inner wing and the hex / washer part screws onto this and it is that has sheared into the nut.

File / grind it flat , drill a pilot hole and fit a self tapper + washer ( as has been mentioned) - Jobbed / jobbed.

K

Hi
R29mine stated there is a OEM solution for replacing these studs, the Pt.No. has been posted on here somewhere, though I am unsure exactly what you get for you're money and the method used to secure the stud to the bodywork, if it is some sort expanding rivet can you use a standard rivnut tool etc.
Does anyone know what you get exactly with the OEM kit and the process of installing the new stud, I have tried searching on WIS for the worksheet but cant find anything.
These studs shearing is quite a common issue.

The other option is figure out the thread from the opposite wheel arch, get some threaded rod or cut down steel screw, and have a garage or whatever spot weld a replacement on. Then wire brush, decrease and slather with rustoleum paint or whatever. Plus grease before fitting the nut.

I purchased some stainless steel ones and had them welded on mine. They're called fir tree CD studs. You can find them here: Advanced Stud Welding - CD Weld Studs

Minimum order is 100, coated me about £25 but I figure they're useful to have. There are plenty of these kind of studs on the body.

The official repair from Mercedes is a rivnut and stud, but I wanted a more original fix.

Drill it out or run a self tapper along side it . They use threaded studs now and plastic nuts .

Thanks for the options. I am liking the rivnuts. If I drill on the spot where the original stud was will it require a lot of drilling because of the weld on the other side under the wing or will I end up damaging or disturbing the area because of the weld on the other side?
I like doing things the right way if I can but there are so many annoying little jobs to be done on this car. I do like the car though. I might take the easy option of self tapper.

Thanks for the options. I am liking the rivnuts. If I drill on the spot where the original stud was will it require a lot of drilling because of the weld on the other side under the wing or will I end up damaging or disturbing the area because of the weld on the other side?
I like doing things the right way if I can but there are so many annoying little jobs to be done on this car. I do like the car though. I might take the easy option of self tapper.
You could just use a 10mm tek bolt .I can send you a few if you like.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Hi
R29mine stated there is a OEM solution for replacing these studs, the Pt.No. has been posted on here somewhere, though I am unsure exactly what you get for you're money and the method used to secure the stud to the bodywork, if it is some sort expanding rivet can you use a standard rivnut tool etc.
Does anyone know what you get exactly with the OEM kit and the process of installing the new stud, I have tried searching on WIS for the worksheet but cant find anything.
These studs shearing is quite a common issue.
Here is a picture of the mb part0488C451-6F85-412A-9A67-928D2EE61373.jpeg

Hi again,
All I did was take out the wheel arch liners to put in two new headlight bulbs and I broke the upper screw that connects the front and rear part of the liner to the upper part of the arch. See photos. Also a photo of two bad bulbs one good.
How may this be replaced? Part number? Temporary fix so I can drive to the dealer for the part?

Thanks,
D.
Try a body shop. We use a electric dent puller, which spot welds a pin to a body panel, then slide hamer the dent out. I think you can buy pins that are threaded. If you can de-rust where pin snapped off it may hold the plastic nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom