broken wheel bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glyn86

Car
2000 e200
1244000770.jpg

Well lads.this little beut decided to snap on me the other day.just the head of it.any ideas to get it out

When you take the wheel off do you still have enough threads to screw a nut on? If yes, screw a nut on, weld in place and then unscrew.

If not, drill centre of bolt and use a bolt extractor.

cheers, Steve

+1

I've got a set of very similar tools, they've got me out of a couple of sticky situations. No drilling required, once you start reducing the amount of metal you have, you narrow your options down drastically.

Here's another link, the one above doesn't work very well for me.

Irwin Bolt Grip Nut Remover Set 5 Pieces | Servicing Tools | Screwfix.com

Thanks for the replys I have tryed welding a nut to the top but it broke away.as for the extractor a garage has tried but can't grip it.

Forgot to mention due to the flange on this type of wheel bolt the wheel can not be removed from the car.and it's a bolt that screws in not a stud that a nut screws onto

I'd try loosening the other 4 bolts just a little then driving the car back & forth till the broken one starts to loosen. Then you have more options

Nick Froome

Thanks nick.i have tried that aswell.think iv tried everything but taking an angle grinder to the wheel lol

That type of bolt is known for snapping the head off, the only way to get it out without damaging the wheel is to drill it out.

Start dead center of the bolt and keep enlarging the drill size till the conical seat comes free, then remove the wheel and undo whats left with vice grips.

Thanks that's what I was thinking.but was just hoping there would be an easier approach to it.do you know can them bolts be changed to any other type.be no harm change the lot

Thanks that's what I was thinking.but was just hoping there would be an easier approach to it.do you know can them bolts be changed to any other type.be no harm change the lot

Yep, you can change to a older bolt with a shorter head that doesn't have this problem.

Well lads.this little beut decided to snap on me the other day.just the head of it.any ideas to get it out

Hi you could drill and tap a left hand thread at 6 or 8mm at a guess! All depends on the shank diameter of the bolt in the wheel. Or normal right hand thread then loctight a cap head bolt with a nut on the cap head to tighten and lock caphead to broken bolt and with any luck it will come free. Also remove all bolts and get a friend to wobble car left and right while you attempt to undo the bolt! It might help. If not drill it in the center starting with a center drill then moving up in size to the minor diameter of the thread in wheel bolt. Then the wheel should come off. Good luck.

Had all 5 snap once ended cutting the wheel off!

Thanks for all the help lads.much appreciate it.i will have to go with drilling the bolt out as soon as the weather picks up here.not too bothered if I damage the wheel in the process. Want to buy a set of monoblocks in the next few weeks anyway

I've been there all too often ! This is despite removing bolts a couple of times a year and trying copper-slip grease on the threads .

The illustrated style at the top of the thread seem the worst for doing this , but some of the M-B security bolts are also bad for snapping .

On my W126 I replaced the long shaft bolts with shorter ones ( correct thread length but the bolt head was then recessed into the wheel ) .

I have sometimes had success drilling carefully down the centre and then using an extractor , but the bolts are made of very hard metal and I have worn out so many HSS and titanium drill bits .

One time , after wearing out several HSS drills , I resorted to using an SDS hammer drill and diamond tipped masonry bits ! It seems a wrong way to do it , but battering away at the bolt eventually ground it down until the tapered collar separated and I was able to remove the wheel .

Just last year , though I had a security bolt shear its head and one other bolt snap on my S203 and ended up having to cut the wheel off with my angle grinder !

Once you get the wheel off , the remains of the bolt can easily be removed with a pair of mole grips .

Pontoneer I don't know should I thank you or cry after reading your post.haha
It's impossible here at the moment to get at the car with the rain so hopefully soon enough I will be able to tackle the job
My biggest worry is getting a flat on the way to work at 5am

I've been there all too often ! This is despite removing bolts a couple of times a year and trying copper-slip grease on the threads .

The illustrated style at the top of the thread seem the worst for doing this , but some of the M-B security bolts are also bad for snapping .

On my W126 I replaced the long shaft bolts with shorter ones ( correct thread length but the bolt head was then recessed into the wheel ) .

I have sometimes had success drilling carefully down the centre and then using an extractor , but the bolts are made of very hard metal and I have worn out so many HSS and titanium drill bits .

One time , after wearing out several HSS drills , I resorted to using an SDS hammer drill and diamond tipped masonry bits ! It seems a wrong way to do it , but battering away at the bolt eventually ground it down until the tapered collar separated and I was able to remove the wheel .

Just last year , though I had a security bolt shear its head and one other bolt snap on my S203 and ended up having to cut the wheel off with my angle grinder !

Once you get the wheel off , the remains of the bolt can easily be removed with a pair of mole grips .

Use a carbide drill. Once you've got through the case the bolt will be marginally softer. Also keep drill bit cool with oil or water if possible.

That is exactly the drill bits I have bought for the job.thanks for your help.
Do you know if I change the alloys to we'll say monoblocks could I use a normal style wheel bolt instead of the mercedes ones with the flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom