Broken wire in Engine w123 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gmerc13

Car
Mercedes w123
Hello I’ve recently noticed this loose wire in the engine bay of my w123 200. Thanks3CBC5838-5676-40B0-AC91-3CACD7E64BC2.jpeg

Hello I’ve recently noticed this loose wire in the engine bay of my w123 200. Thanks

If you are asking what the wire is, it is for the automatic choke unit if I remember correctly. It only looks like the outer sheath is broken. If the actual wire is OK just tape it up.

If you are asking what the wire is, it is for the automatic choke unit if I remember correctly. It only looks like the outer sheath is broken. If the actual wire is OK just tape it up.

Thanks for your response. The wire is actually broken off. What it the automatic coke unit for?

Attachments

• 82CFE0CF-C1FE-488C-988C-E9C6B3162AD2.jpeg
    82CFE0CF-C1FE-488C-988C-E9C6B3162AD2.jpeg
    954.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 497D49FD-6EC8-4BA4-9FFF-4547EB3F9BB8.jpeg
    497D49FD-6EC8-4BA4-9FFF-4547EB3F9BB8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Automatic CHOKE. Automatic COKE units are only found in the lavatories at showbiz or music industry parties... :D

The automatic choke enriches the fuel/air mixture when the engine is cold, so it will start and run properly until it warms up.

The wire is actually broken off.

Rather than messing around with the connectors and running another piece of wire, , strip the wire at the break and sodier the wire with some heat shrink over the joint.

The automatic choke on these carburettors consists of a bimetal strip that is heated by the engine coolant and also by electrical power on initial switch on- if it doesn't function correctly car will run roughly when cold. There are not many mechanics familiar with these carburettors- try to repair the electrical connection as suggested.

I’ve connected this wires back together now. Not sure I’ll be able to tell if it work at the moment as it hot weather.

After connecting these wires I’m not sure if it has blown a fuse as my central locking as it isn’t working properly now. Is there any way I can tell? Thanks

Attachments

• A7998221-9BC0-40BB-848D-5E479A8392EF.jpeg
    A7998221-9BC0-40BB-848D-5E479A8392EF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • BF753354-2C49-4D26-A889-D81D056D581D.jpeg
    BF753354-2C49-4D26-A889-D81D056D581D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I’ve connected this wires back together now. Not sure I’ll be able to tell if it work at the moment as it hot weather.

After connecting these wires I’m not sure if it has blown a fuse as my central locking as it isn’t working properly now. Is there any way I can tell? Thanks

Bear in mind that your central locking system on the W123 works on engine vacuum and is not electric, and I very much doubt if it is associated. However you may have disturbed the pipe that proivides vacuum for the system to operate.

What do you mean that it is not working correctly ?

Last edited:
Bear in mind that your central locking system on the W123 works on engine vacuum and is not electric, and I very much doubt if it is associated. However you may have disturbed the pipe that proivides vacuum for the system to operate.

What do you mean that it is not working correctly ?

I’ll try doing some trouble shooting by checking the pipes and fuses.

Just the main driver door is opening and I have to manually open the other doors from the inside.

I’ll try doing some trouble shooting by checking the pipes and fuses.

Just the main driver door is opening and I have to manually open the other doors from the inside.

Sounds like you have lost vacuum pressure.

Check the vacuum pipes under bonnet. I can't remember where the feed comes from any more as it has been ages since I owned one of these but there are several vacuum pipes that connect to the carb. One is for the ingnition advance retart mechanism o the distributor and I think one of the others is used to provide vacuum to the central locking system.

The vacuum is held in a tank in the boot below the parcel shelf. The vacuum is then fed to bellows in the doors and the boot. When the system fails it is primarily due to a leak, and can be very difficult to find, and that is speaking from experience. It is usually the runbbers on the bellows or a rubber joint somewhere that leaks.

46f9eb6483cf97d91f1cefb1c390cb60.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom