Brooklyn Bridge bomb shelter pics.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KosherBenz

Car
2006 E320 CDI
Stumbled across these pics. Lost bomb shelter from the cold war that was just recently found.

73751.jpg

These were high calorie crackers people were supposed to eat while living in the bomb shelter. There were over 300 pounds of them still packaged and edible (though) not tasty piled in the room.

73752.jpg

Hard hats (this of metal) were to be work to protect those in the shelter.

73753.jpg

Life supplies, like safetypins, blankets, bandages, were scattered about leaving you to wonder what activities were planned, and what expectations of necessity were during the cuban missile crisis.

73754.jpg

boxes of bandages lay on the floor, open, empty admist what seems like charred ruins but no fires were there.

73755.jpg

Medical supplies were available for the injured or sick. IV bottles with their rubber hoses and some medicine were left in open crates.

737516.jpg

Boxes of supplies, paper blankets, crackers, had directions to carefully follow -- Open only after enemy attack.

73757.jpg

according to microsurgeon.com -- Dextrans are macromolecules composed of glucose subunits. They are given intravenously (IV) and have a number of beneficial effects in health care. They were originally designed as volume expanders to treat hypovolemia or shock because they are both osmotically active, and too large to pass through the uninjured vessel wall.

Dextran has numerous pharmacologic effects when infused intravenously

Anti-platelet activity

Anti-fibrin activity

Plasma volume expansion in hypovolemia

Improves microcirculation by decreasing blood viscosity and impeding erythrocyte aggregation

Dextran 40 is usually given at a dose of 25 cc per hour for approximately 5 days post-operatively after microvascular transplantation. In children, dextran 40 is usually run at 8-10 cc/kg/24hrs.

Microsurgeons use dextran because they bind to platelets, red blood cells, and the lining of the vessel wall decreasing their ability to stick together and ultimately form clots. When the endothelium or inside lining of a blood vessel is injured, elements normally covered become exposed. This activates circulating platelets which adhere to the vessel wall and each other starting a cascade which results in occlusion or clotting of the vessel lumen. Endothelium will heal and return to a "non-stick" state after about 5 days. Dextran is used to protect vessel patency for this period of time.

Complications are rare with dextran use.

73758.jpg

stacks upon stacks of water containers. dented, piled, squished from gravity and evaporation. these were to be used as "waste recepticles" when empty, the lid turned into a toliet seat.

73759.jpg

small pill bottles litter the floors. few in tact as you crunch broken glass. powder in labeless bottles and if you're lucky you can see the eyes and nose drops which would have eased the pain of those stuck in shelter.

73760.jpg

tags were prepared in the event of an attack to use for triage. multipage documents which would be attached to your person outlining your injuries and diagnosis. your order of preference was based on your injuries described in these tags.

73761.jpg

the front of the medical tags.

73762.jpg

there seem to be two competing bandage brands. the blue brand from earlier in the set and these smaller more generic "white" bandages. These boxes laid in small piles randomly placed throughout, sort of huddling together even though they were clearly discarded.

73763.jpg

signs for triage locations could be found. in the event of an attack these would be posted as directon for where casuality types should be placed.

73764.jpg

1/2 the room. (notice the window!)

73765.jpg

brighter for those who like to read...

Fascinating images, thanks KosherBenz.

How was this shelter re-discovered? I wonder how many more like it there are!

basically, they were doing a structural survey to make sure the bridge was still safe. Upon inspecting the inners of the bridge, they found this room on the 3 level floor in the base of one side of the bridge. :crazy:

i find this sort of this facinating. Edinburgh "mary kings close" is fantastic trip

Very fascinating, almost chilling to see these types of images from the past. Reminds me of a scene from the Bone collector where Angelina enter's the sewage tunnels to retreive the evidence by sawing off the victims wrist:crazy:

Last edited:
Rose Chap said:
Fascinating images, thanks KosherBenz.

How was this shelter re-discovered? I wonder how many more like it there are!

In my youth, I used to explore some of these places with my mates for a bit of fun.

We found an entire network of tunnels right underneath Wentworth golf course clubhouse. If you park in the car park there you may have noticed some strange looking brick structures. These are the air shafts for the tunnels. It looks like a complete disused tube station under there. At one end, you can come up right behind the kitchens! The entrances have all been bricked up. However, there is a hole if you know where to look;)

Also, we explored the network of tunnels that lie beneath part of the Brooklands banking. These are accessed via the car park of the David LLoyd health club in Brooklands road. there are old newspaper cuttings from the wat stuck on some of the walls. The tunnels here are extensive!

Did you see the documentary a while back about the people who explore WW1 tunnel systems and dugouts, many are still intact although quite a few are flooded. The entrances are long buried beneath fields etc. but they were finding them using Royal Engineers maps etc.

BTB 500 said:
Did you see the documentary a while back about the people who explore WW1 tunnel systems and dugouts, many are still intact although quite a few are flooded. The entrances are long buried beneath fields etc. but they were finding them using Royal Engineers maps etc.
do you have a name for this movie?

Great stuff. I found a bunker once on Teignmouth Golf course in Devon. it was surrounded and covered by gorse buses, I was searching for lost golf balls! It had been locked up many years before and of course being a teenager I managed to open up the hatch and go down inside..... nothing but an old table and one chair inside though.

No computer unfortunatley!

KosherBenz said:
do you have a name for this movie?

No it was just a TV documentary, don't even remember which channel - sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom