Brown Shoes.....??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
When did the latest tend of wearing brown shoes/boots with everything come into fashion? Recently attended a wedding and most of the guys wore brown shoes with blue suits, reminds me of
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reporting from the City of London, Johnny Foreigners were wearing "Brahn Boots" with formal suits ten years ago, and it spread insidiously to Estuary Man when the Coalition got into power in 2010. (I blame the Liberals).

Pleased to report that, no matter the colour, you can still tell a gentleman by his footwear. Scuffed / well -worn but cared for / cheap / dodgy fashion / expensive / high-heeled - they all tell a lot about the owner - at Weddings and day to day.

But still a matter of the right shoes for the occasion: I only wear my Luccheses when I'm in Fort Worth, usually at Billy Bob's

41rGPcaTkfL._SY395_.jpg

I wore brown brogues with a blue suit to a wedding once and felt a proper pleb.

Still wearing shorts and 8 hole Doc Martens (cherry) for dog walking duties but getting a bit chilly now, sartorially and climatic.

Never wore brown shoes to work (with a suit).

Love shoes but would struggle with cowboy boots despite wearing red kickers on occasion.

Standard outfit at Chester races the other week judging by the number of blue/brown combos walking round the town( in the torrential rain too)

Standard outfit at Chester races the other week judging by the number of blue/brown combos walking round the town( in the torrential rain too)

But that's the traditional outfit "for the races." (OK, strictly grey suit and brown shoes, but all the same "Brown in the Country."

Where's the photo of the matching underwear and whip?

Somehow, Sir, I can tell you've never been to Billy Bob's. Next time you're in Texas, pull on your boots and come join The Line.

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

As worn by most US Presidents !

40b859778b80a2792126fb457a4efbd5.gif

Last edited:
I have to say, out of a selection of 58 shoes in my shop, only 3 of them are black.

loake_gable_in_black_calf_1.jpg

loake_seaham_in_black_calf_2.jpg

And another Loake with the flex sole that I can't for the life of me remember what it is called.

Best selling colour is navy suede, followed by darkish brown (which has replaced tan).

Quite simply, black is not selling, hasn't been for 10 years now.
I guess a lot of it is to do with not many people wear suits, jackets selling better than ever, but not suits, and that changes what people want on their feet.

We have also gone from 70% leather soles to I would guess 98% rubber soles too, which will probably make a few teeth itch on here! :D

loake_gable_dark_brown.jpg

We have found even the most devoted leather sole fan, once they try a decent rubber sole from Danite or similar they simply don't go back to leather again.

We have also started selling a fair bit of Oxblood again, especially in boots...

tumblr_nxpjtiJa9B1rhgczho1_1280.jpg

Now, obviously we are not in the city, so things are different there. But I would say black shoes pretty much died 10-15 years ago for many, most of my customers will buy one pair of very nice black shoes for that time where they are essential, but I think the sniggering at someone not wearing black shoes stopped around 1999.

I should just add, suits in tonic blue that are two sizes too small with tan pointed shoes is a different matter, but let's not get confused between someone who knows how to dress and someone who doesn't. ;)

Gold top boots bought in 1983. They had a rest at one point but have had 26 years of use. I've lost count how many times they've been re-soled and heeled Unbelievably Goldtop still sell the identical boots today for £350.

Boots.JPG

Gold top boots bought in 1983. They had a rest at one point but have had 26 years of use. I've lost count how many times they've been re-soled and heeled Unbelievably Goldtop still sell the identical boots today for £350.

View attachment 72509
Just to get something straight. Are you male or female?

Generally, I believe business wear is much less formal now than it was 10 years ago, and strangely causal wear is tending to be more formal than it was 10 years ago. Brown shoes are less formal than black, and therefore more appropriate more of the time.

In fact, it's very, very, rare that I wear a suit for work these days. I always wear jackets and trousers for work, but not a suit. Ten years ago though, I wore a matching suit every day (without fail) for work. No doubt we'll go full circle in the fullness of time.

When I'm not at work, I wear shorts, all year round, whatever the weather, and for almost any occasion. Always smart shorts and tailored for me. Ten years ago though, I wore shorts just as much, but they were always casual shorts wit a relaxed fit. So even shorts, follow that same trend.

I once (true story alert) witnessed a bloke being politely asked to leave a golf clubhouse bar, for....... wearing brown shoes, before 07:00 in the evening.

I once (true story alert) witnessed a bloke being politely asked to leave a golf clubhouse bar, for....... wearing brown shoes, before 07:00 in the evening.
I have a pair of beautiful hand stitched black leather boots made by ‘R-Soles’ of Brighton. Great name, great boots.

It bothers me, that people wearing brown shoes with a blue/black suit bothers me. I shouldn't care at all, but for some reason I find it irritating.

Tattoo's and their recent social acceptance bothers me also. As does bodily mutilation, particularly large orifices that the human body wasn't born with and extensive piercings, particularly on the face.

As I age I become less tolerant and far more judgemental and I'm waiting for my call up to the grumpy old man TV show.

I have a pair of oxblood shoes from Jones the boot makers (circa 1988) with leather soles that are still going strong , I wore them at my niece's wedding the other week, without incident. I also have a pair of Bonnie Marone brothel creepers in bright matte pink, dark stitching , Air Wair soles , pointed toe, that I purchased when 'under the influence' over 25 years ago. Needless to say they are in showroom condition as I am not brave enough to wear them (2 outings if memory serves me well..) But I will wear them one day just to embarrass my teenage sons. :eek:

It bothers me, that people wearing brown shoes with a blue/black suit bothers me.

Black suit is always a black shoe, but a navy suit has always been whatever looks good.

I think it came down to the fact not many people can work out what looks good and what doesn't, hence people said always wear black shoes with a suit as there is less chance of ****ing it up! :D

This thread is like some form of therapy, it's quite cathartic.

So here I can admit that I'm quite a fan of the tassle loafer, in fact I have at least a dozen pairs, a split of suede and calf leather which occasionally I wear without socks despite being neither a hipster or Italian (or tall slim and good looking for that matter).

I also own Purple corduroy trousers and a lovely pair of faded strawberry red trousers. These are generally worn to cause maximum embarrassment to my step daughter or for days out with other equally sartorial types such as Goodwood etc.

So clearly I'm ideally placed to comment on the brown shoe situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom