Brown water in coolant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ccharle2

Car
SLK 250 CSI Sport 2012
Hi all I am hoping someone can help, my SLK 250 CDI has been loosing coolant for a while and I just had a look around the engine and there is a crack in the cast aluminum pipe that comes out of the front left hand side of the engine, the pipe connects back to back with another pipe and that pipe goes off down towards the bottom of the engine. I have a few questions..
1 what is the pipe called
2 what's it for or carrying ? {It looks like it's water as water is coming out of the crack.
What could have caused it to crack?
I forgot to mention the cooler water is now brown}
I would really appreciate any help and suggestions with this. Cheers Chris.

Hi all its part of the coolant system the bottom flexible hose from the radiator connects to the aluminum part/pipe that's cracked so just wondering what would cause this part to crack like that?

Browning is probably rust . Caused by tap water.

Put your vin on here and im sure we'll find an image or part number.

Hi all I realised it's the exhaust pipe from the turbocharger that's cracked, would you have any idea why this would occur and is it the turbo causing the coolant leek? thanks in advance.

V6 om651.

Hi all I realised it's the exhaust pipe from the turbocharger that's cracked, would you have any idea why this would occur and is it the turbo causing the coolant leek? thanks in advance.
The "exhaust" from the turbo is the exhaust.....
Do you mean the large plastic pipe that comes to the front mounted intercooler ?

The charge pipes often crack with vibration and heat cycling. Normally a cracked induction pipe will cause an EML.
A photo or two would be good

Last edited:
Screenshot_20191208-193626.png Screenshot_20191208-193608.png Screenshot_20191208-193608.png Screenshot_20191208-193608.png
Do you mean the large plastic pipe that comes to the front mounted intercooler ?

The charge pipes often crack with vibration and heat cycling. Normally a cracked induction pipe will cause an EML.
A photo or two would be good

The charge pipes often crack with vibration and heat cycling. Normally a cracked induction pipe will cause an E

Hi it's the silver pipe in the photo it comes out of the turbo and heads down towards the bottom of the engine, it joins a rubber pipe towards the bottom. Sorry I don't really know a lot about this engine, I would just like to know if it's a common problem and typical causes and will the turbo need replacing or just the metal pipe?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191208-193608.png
    Screenshot_20191208-193608.png
    957.6 KB · Views: 11
21-suralimentation-turbocompresseur-a-deux-niveaux-moteur-om651.jpg

FROM
Google Translate
Maybe the casting associated with item 126 the airboost bypass? in which case the brown liquid may be oil from one of the turbos.

Thanks for the diagram, I was surprised to see a fracture in the air boost bypass, I guess I will have to get it in the garage asap. Thanks all for replying.

Because that item does not involve any coolant you will have to look further for your coolant loss/discolouration. Two coolant leaks common on this engine are associated with either 1 the water pump -or- 2 the heat exchanger associated with the EGR [item2] the first would give loss of coolant the second coolant loss and contamination.
28-recyclage-des-gaz-echappement-moteur-om651.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom